Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#15755 01/22/05 03:31 PM
OP Offline

Hi All,

We have had some long and interesting discussions on the effectiveness of Holosync, meditation, light and sound machines, brain wave entrainment, paraliminals, subliminals, hypnosis, and some of the more esoteric practices and philosophies. Some take longer to show results than others, some create permanent changes, whereas with some, without constant reinforcement, the effect wears away.

We know LSC uses NLP in their paraliminals. My question is, since the paraliminals are so effective, would studying pure NLP cut to the chase, and be the ultimate, most direct approach to effect personal change?

If combinations of technologies are more powerful, which is the optimum combination, if there is one? (keeping in mine the old adage, that what fits one is not necessarily what is the best for everyone...)

I'd say that from my perspective the number ONE thing to learn is the law of attraction or the abundance course. Or anything that's about manifesting your desires. The rest is just content. Love, money, oneness, spirit/body, whatever.

NLP can be that but not all the way IMHO. Attraction counts for far more that just "running your braing".

Manifesting is horizontal growth and is fun...no question. Nevertheless, I personally think that vertical growth is the biggest game in town (eventually you have everything).

If you use NLP to take yourself apart and create ultimate flexibility in your patterns then you have less illusion. Scary yet compelling.

[This message has been edited by weight39doug (edited January 23, 2005).]

Learning Strategies Admin
Learning Strategies Admin

No one technique or set of methods is going to be the be all end all search for knowledge and understanding. Why we are here and how can we do it better.

So when you ask is NLP the ultimate way, my answer is no. It is one of many ways.

The combination of principles will be more powerful but what combination and when to throw a new set of ideas and methods into one's life mix is a very personal thing. We are all individual and we all learn at our own pace, when we are ready.

I received an email today almost 2 years down the track being a mentor to someone. He wrote "...I had blinders on". Now that he knows that he is open to applying PhotoReading but he had to learn some other stuff first before he could allow himself to see.

So the right mix is personal. Is NLP right for you? Perhaps have a look into it if you are curious.

Alex

I agree with the sentiment that NLP (patterns) is a way and not THE way.

It depends on the individual, really.

I think NLP is a very powerful methodology. I have seen people who are so good at it that their persuasion skills could be described as frightening.

When NLP is taught well it basically shows you that your brain does in fact have a coding system for information and that when you know this coding system you can create powerful changes for yourself.

When you learn to interpret the coding systems of others and speak to them in their own language, so to speak, you can be powerfully persuasive and effective.

What NLP doesn't give you is the wisdom to know what changes should and shouldn't be made.

Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should, right?

Also, NLP can be very fast and some things might be best taken slow.

Babayada
Have you used NLP to good effect yourself?

Best Wishes

Nick

NLP has helped me a great deal.

It has helped me improve my relationship with my mom, which was on the rocks a long time ago.

It's helped me gather my resources and recoup in times of duress.

It's helped me prepare for public speaking events.

Most of all, I think, it has helped me get in touch with resources in the depths of my being. I do not think I would have been able to go in and find them without NLP. Other techniques simply didn't work for me. I was using hypnosis and trying affirmations for a very long time. I tried visualization. It was only NLP techniques that offered a very immediate response from within myself that I could attribute to the technique I was using. That is, it worked immediately.

I think I have internalized a lot of NLP stuff (such as language patterns, and, despite my contentiousness here, rapport in person) so they really aren't techniques anymore but unconscious aspects of my behavior.

When I was going to therapy with a therapist using NLP, we used perceptual positions an awful lot. At the time it didn't help as much as it could have, but it laid the foundations for changes in my life that would not have occurred without that work.

The thing about NLP that I really like is that you can get immediate results with it. It is something that is not based on faith. It is not something you have to do for years in order to see a result. You do the technique, and you get your response. It's immediate.

Some techniques don't seem to work with me like other people, but that's neither here nor there.

For a while I felt a bit like a magician and an evangelist for NLP. Anyone who was willing I'd do a technique with. It was an interesting way, too, to get to know women at college. You could show them something that would affect the way they felt immediately, and it created an aura of magic around you.

Another effect of the training at NLP Comprehensive was that for the first time in my life I felt deep in my bones that anything was possible. I really felt there was something better in life for me than what I was living and that I could do it, I could reach it.

But it wasn't just NLP that did that, it was a combination of the training and the wonderful people who attended it. I've never met a more interesting and ecclectic bunch in my life. Luckily, there an abundance of people who actually were what many people pretend or want to be.

That is, there were bonafide energy healers there. There was a guy who spent years in India under gurus and did LSD therapy while over there. There was a woman who was one of the best reframers I've ever met. Within three phrases she could totally turn my thinking around no matter what, and she'd have me smiling and thankful that she did. It was really amazing.

Babayada
Thanks for the detailed reply. I found it very useful. Outside of the founders (Bandler & Grinder) are there any books or tapesets that you could recommend. Although, I have read Milton Erickson and most of Richard Bandlers output, I still consider myself a beginner.

Thanks

Nick

OP Offline

Babayada,

Thanks for your message - it is fascinating. What do you think about the Core Transformation workshop? Did you take that or the NLP practionioner course?

Cheers.

We didn't take the Core Transformation course, but we did do the method on the first day. They used it, I think, as a motivational anchor and to set the tone of the entire course. It was pretty awesome.

It let me know right away that this was something very different. It was an extremely different approach toward dealing with problems. That is a very powerful part of NLP that I find hard to internalize. It's very permissive and integrating ... working with both (or more) sides of an issue at once.

I think the Core Transformation process is a good one and has at its heart a lot of what is best in NLP. I really like Connirae and Tamara Andreas, so if you get a chance to take a course with them, you should do it.

As for books, well, I really think that the ones you didn't ask for are the best. The ones featuring Grinder and Bandler together are, to me, the ones that are really good.

A lot of NLP books are copies of copies, so to speak, and to me don't offer all that much.

You might want to read the books written by Steve and Connirae Andreas. There is Change Your Mind, Heart of the Mind, and then that Transforming the Self (I think) book by Steve Andreas.

If you could somehow get your hands on a practitioner or master prac. training on tape or DVD that would be ideal.

The Advanced Language Patterns set is really good, I think. It conveys a lot more than just language patterns. It conveys an approach distinct to NLP. You can find it and order it over at nlpco.com.

Home study is an option, but, honestly, it is nothing like attending a good training. When you see good, clean examples of the approaches and work around like-minded people, your development explodes. You will also be picking up subtleties from the masters who are teaching. You pick up much more than what is being explicitly taught.

There were a couple times at the seminar that I found myself spontaneously doing some of the magic I had witnessed, and I had never had that experience before. It was just coming out of me. During a few moments I sort of stood back and thought, "Holy crap ... did I just do that?" It was awesome.

[This message has been edited by babayada (edited January 24, 2005).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Wendy_Greer 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved