Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#15837 02/11/05 06:20 AM
OP Offline

What's the first thing that comes into your mind when I say that, while studying all alone at home, happily with the books, I'm totally immerged in the context, I can understand ideas speedily and memorize easily, whereas when I'm in class or with other people, I don't understand anything and even start hating the subject which I would otherwise like?
This started happening ever since I started human contact with people who are not my family.

Can it be that only by isolating your mind totally from other human interference you can REALLY learn?

#15838 02/11/05 06:58 AM

Yeah, I think there's a lot to that...when you listen to many of the great artistic and scientific minds they often worked for long periods in isolation...ie Proust lining the walls of his apartment with cork while writing "Memories of Lost Time."

In "Think and Grow Rich" there is the story of some famous inventor who used a very deliberate procedure when he was stuck on a problem, one which involved isolating himself and concentrating one-pointedly on the factors related to the problem,until the answer spontaneously appeared.

For just absorbing material, learning new concepts etc, I think a lot of the technologies discussed on this forum are designed to make that superlearning potential available and manifest in a more stressful or imposing situation (class, work, etc.)

#15839 02/10/05 07:26 PM

Well... The first thing that came to MY mind was adult Attention Deficit Disorder...

#15840 02/10/05 10:06 PM
Learning Strategies Admin
Learning Strategies Admin

I think you find it harder to get into the Flow State. Being somewhat self conscious. It's easier to get distracted.

The Tangerine technique could help you here and I can also think of some of Paraliminals that can help.

We work and learn differently when we are with others. One is not better than the other, just different. Some people cannot learn on their own they need the group environment.

Alex

#15841 02/11/05 12:48 AM

It might have to do with the metaprograms that you run or it might not.

I encounter the same issues. For example I run heavy 'other' and 'external' programs in which I have trouble thinking clearly if there is too much activity or people around me. We only have so much focus to go around to sample our surrounding with at any given moment. The problem with these particular patterns combined is that all the focus gets burned up on the outside and you don't have enough left to bring in the knowledge and process it internally. There is not enough of 'you' in the encounter.

On the other hand, if I am alone with a book then I am cranking and understanding it to the max (which means great grades but not all learning involves books).

Currently, I am working on developing flexibility in these patterns. Then when the inevitable hot seat comes I will be able to turn to 'self' and 'internal' patterns. I will let you know how it goes.

[This message has been edited by weight39doug (edited February 10, 2005).]

#15842 02/14/05 08:48 AM

Hey Doug!

I'm very much the same. I haven't analysed which metaprograms that I use but they are heavy on the outside-others-focus and not on the subject. It is sometimes a problem since my present studies are with groups of other people all the time. After four to six hours of school I'm all drained. Thank god for the paraliminals, especially Anxiety Free and Self Esteem Supercharger. I find that my other-focus is lessened by those tapes.

If you find any techniques to do this better I'm all ears!

/Tore

Moderated by  Wendy_Greer 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved