Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#18229 09/15/00 03:14 PM
mgrego2 Offline OP
OP Offline

So much documentation is available in PDF format (or Microsoft Reader, etc...) these days.

This question is addressed to everyone:

How are you PhotoReading this material? Since the blip is not an option, I've been focusing "around" the text, trying to see the whitespace. Do you use page down to flip pages or just scroll? If scrolling, how quickly do you let it scroll?

Thanks,

#18230 09/15/00 06:03 PM

Mgrego2,

You're correct in that much documentation is available in PDF form nowdays.

To answer your question in regards how to PR the PDF material when viewing ... I try to see the entire page when in Full View. This includes the corners, whitespace etc... just as if you were looking at a physical piece of paper.

Another trick, if using Adobe Acrobat Reader 4.0 ... which by the way is free for download from http://www.adobe.com is to setup the viewer to display the material in full view and automatically advance the page for you. Nice thing about this is that you can just sit back, relax, get into state and PR the pages as they automatically advance before your eyes!

Steps are,

1. Launch PDF file via your Acrobat 4.0 reader.
2. Click on File, Preferences, Full Screen.
A Full Screen Preferences window will pop up. Under the Navigation window ... click on 'Advance every second' option and put the amount of seconds you wish for the page to wait before advancing to next page. I like to use 1 second.
3. Click on OK when done.
4. Now Prepare to PR.
5. Click on View, Full Screen.

Acrobat reader will now display the PDF material in Full View and automatically advance the pages at 1 second intervals ... sort of like a slideshow.

Humbily,

Michael Saikali

#18231 09/16/00 08:14 AM

Hi Michael,

Do you know how i can do the same with the online versions of the Microsoft press books?

Thanking you in advance

Will Ho

#18232 09/16/00 06:53 PM

Will,

The procedure is a bit more involved ... MS does not make it easy!

I would recommend, printing the MS press books to a file using the generic text printer driver.

Once you have the text (the stuff your looking) printed to file, convert it to PDF and follow above message thread to view PDF.

I've never given it any thought, but I'll try when I get to work on Monday and let ya know how it turns out.

Humbily,

Michael Saikali

#18233 09/17/00 01:40 AM

mgrego2 when I fisrt started photoreading I didn't have the skill to read off the screen. I kept on losing my gaze. But now I have photread so many books that I am good at retaining the soft gaze and can read a computer screen easily.

It would be nice to have the assurance of a blip page but that's no longer necessary for me anymore. I have practiced enough to know when I am in the photofocus state. Also I just scroll the page while I'm reading off the screen but that adobe auto-scroll suggestion is a good one.

#18234 09/22/00 07:12 PM
mgrego2 Offline OP
OP Offline

I've finally gotten around to trying out the auto advance with Acrobat Reader 4.0. I liked it. Kind of nice not to have to flip pages. Has anyone had a good enough experience with it that they would switch to e-books instead of real books?

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved