Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Administrator
Administrator

Actually I find this rather interesting.

Yes I to have difficulty with Win voice... he uses words, teminology and style that is unique and rather different to what I am used to and harder for me to recognise easily. At the same time for me that was a kick in the butt... a wake up call. It's the difference that makes the difference.

Win does come across as a person who thinks outside the square. Very creative and when I think about it using words like, delicious or velvety in a course like the genius code it's different; challenges our experiences right? Think outside the square... From our reactions I think our comfort zones have been challenged! We come accustomed to a certain style and won't accept anything else.

I have to disagree about using Pauls voice... Win's style, inflection and enthusiasm are a kick in the butt... NOPS huh?

I'd like to thank Win for challenging me to think different. Can't say I'd be imiating his use of velvety and delicious (If I tried that they'd say "speak english please" )but it's got me thinking. Things only seem irritating when they ruffle your comfort zone. Release - open zone, no problem.

Just my ideas opinions will differ of cause.
Alex

[This message has been edited by AlexK (edited May 17, 2002).]

Excellent point, Alex. We should take Win's advice and tell ourselves, "Each time I hear Win say 'delicious,' I will relax more deeply."

I had a very good experience listening to Win's voice as well as Paul's.

It comes down to what you FOCUS on.

If you get annoyed simply by Win's voice you are not following instructions, you are not paying attention to what you are supposed to do/be.

Remember:

IT (the course) does not work, YOU make it work.
It is your approach and your attitude that ultimately ensures success.

Allow yourself to be annoyed by Win's voice and you will be.

Focus on the exercise/experience and you will find yourself doing far better.

I found the advanced Civilization exercise to be one of the most enjoyable experiences throughout the whole course.

There is no doubt as to the effectiveness of this exercise.

The vast unlimited universe (both outside and inside) reveals itself if you listen/ open up to it.

It all comes down to this:

What is, is!

I may sound harsh, but I doubt that Win's voice and his repeated use of the word "delicious" that ticks you off. It is how you relate to it.

Are you going to allow yourself be ruled by circumstances, or are you going to create results?

YOU are the only one who can make it happen.

NOT Paul, NOT Win; and their voices certainly won't make any difference as to whether you succeed or not.

------
From one thing to another:
Thank you for all the wonderful insights and sharing your experiences in this forum.

It helps me shift my perspective and approach, and try on new things that I may have been oblivious to.
Keep it up.

Sincerely,

Rene

OP Offline

Alex,
I think you misunderstood my post. I have no problem w/ Win's content.

When i say i find his voice irritating, i simply mean that i do not enjoy his tonal quality. People who use guided imagery need professional training for what should already be a natural propensity in speaking quality.

I did not mind Win's voice for any and all discussion. Ok? My only problem is w/ his leading the guided imagery on Tape 7. And, when i'm paying $150 for a course, i expect to listen comfortably when i'm heading into guided imagery.

Also---Please note, i was the first one to post about my interesting experience w/ Advanced Civilization. If i had allowed Win's voice to affect me, i do not think i would have had such a cool experience.

Win could croak like a frog for all i care. I am always alert for interesting concepts. But, when i head into guided imagery i want (for $150) to relax w/o first releasing the tonal quality of an untrained voice.

I do not think i'm the exception here. It is only a consumer's input. LS, i think, does value consumer's input. If i ever purchase another course like MO w/ actors speaking like those two on MO, i will promptly return it. Since i have spent over $1,000 easily on LS products, they should be paying attention. I have purchased Spanish for a friend and will be purchasing it for my nephew for a Xmas present. Want to get spoiled by a professionally speaking voice just buy any of their Language Learning Courses? Another friend of mine just purchased the French Language course on my recommendation.

On the basis of how often and how many people i have recommended LS products for, i have probably made them 1,000's.

I truly value a corporation like LS. MO and GC have what i call technical problems. Take it or leave it.

Administrator
Administrator

Margaret,
I do *not* consider myself to be qualified to judge on Mr Wenger's training as a presenter. I also don't rely on other people to relax me in guided meditation.

I was making a comment about my perception of the general reactions to this post and I found them interesting because "he uses words, teminology and style that is unique" and that challenged me. It challenged me more from the perspective of hearing and proved to be rather interesting. I could have given up and returned the tapes. Or perhaps could obtain a transcript from LSC.

Instead after reading the comments from various people on this post I recognised what my challenges were. Highlighted by the statements made from various participant on this post. I recognised that we become accustomed to a certain style.

Since he uses a rather unique style, I cannot hear some of the words he is saying, because they are not what I am accustomed to. I decided to release, NOPS. The comments on this post actually amused me and reminded me of the necessity of noticing experiences outside our comfort zones to expand our creative thinking.

What I don't understand is what was in my last post to challenge you to re-iterate what you had already stated?

You invite me to be "spoiled" by LSC style of presentation. Are you saying you are "spoiled"(note your bold text) and anchored you to a certain quality of presentation and I should be too?

You had also posted...
Quote,

"He was a total turn-off for me...i.e., his voice was a turn-off."(highlighted in bold?)

Not everyone likes Mozart either... its a personal call based on ones personal experiences and expectation.

I had merely mentioned my learning experience. The discussions on this post about Wins voice caused me to review my experience and notice my blocks. I.E to notice that Win's style was different, because everyone seemed to be saying something along that line. From there I realised that I needed to adapt my skills. I offered my insights on this post for consideration.

If I misunderstood your post then I am glad for it. What you have chosen to call technical problems I have chosen to call different and in doing so reviewed my expectation and recognised the limitations that I may be placing upon myself by expecting thing to be handed to me in a certain way. I decided that it is perhaps not 'they' but 'I' who needed to adapt.

It's when something is different we tend to sit up and take notice. Otherwise we are lulled into complacency, holding onto our security blanket of sameness.

My post was only to offer a different perspective not a finite conclusion and mine, like yours, is a personal opinion. I am greatful for your honest opinion and the subsequent discussion that arose from it. It got me thinking and added toward my internal resources.

Respectfully,
Alex

Some thoughts on all this. Not a single human being is exactly equal to one another. What is irritating to one may be comfortable to one another. I don't know, but there is a possibility that someone may find Paul's voice irritating. That's not Paul's fault; it's just a personal matter of the listener. I have no problem with Win's voice, nor with the words he chooses; but as I have seen here, I'm maybe different from most of the people here. Maybe LS should do a study on its customers preferences so it may satisfy most of them; but satisfying all of them.... I think: No Way. In satisfying one group, there will remain another group left unsatisfied. I think its impossible to satisfy everyone. And... everyone is free to return the course if he/she is not entirely satisfied. (And maybe my usage of the word "satisfy" will annoy someone. Well, not everybody may end up happy ).

Administrator
Administrator

Exactly, Betsemes,

BTW I don't have a problem with Wins voice. I like it... reminds me somewhat of Jose Silva's voice Win speaks clearly and I have no problem following what he's saying in its entirety now that I recognise the words that *I* don't normally associate with guided meditations. Words like velvet and delicious... this forum clued me on them .

Alex

OP Offline

Alex, you posted to me: What I don't understand is what was in my last post to challenge you to re-iterate what you had already stated? Instead of answering your question, i'll just do some self reflection

In a later post you posted: It's when something is different we tend to sit up and take notice. Otherwise we are lulled into complacency, holding onto our security blanket of sameness.

Not for me. This truly tells me you and i have different learning and living styles. I can't imagine needing something to be different in order to be awakened out of a complacency. Do you ever experience boredom?

In any case, it's perfectly normal to have a difference of opinion. For me a technical problem is to you a challenge. I apply NOPS differently than you do; and, under different circumstances probably.

I do kow what i expect from an investment of my hard earned $$$ and time. Those purchasing GC w/o the sale price will be paying $200-plus for it. You can purchase the same type of tape packaging from Sounds True for $69 (6 cassettes). And there may be some 8 cassette packages also for $69. The Huston Smith course w/ Religions of the World consists of 10 tapes for $69. Most are 6 for $69. They also have a full money back guarantee. So, some kind of comparing was present in my head when i made the comments.

[This message has been edited by Margaret (edited May 20, 2002).]

Administrator
Administrator

For me a technical is...
Do the tapes have enough volumue
Is the volume consistant
Are there any unusal drop outs
Can the tapes be played at full volume without the voices being distorted.
Is the pitch of the voice correct or do I need special equipment to fix this.
Are there any tape hisses or noises that show up at full volume

Personal...
Do the speakers speak clearly
Do they speak fast enough ie normal speed.
Can I/Have I learnt anything new
Does the course live up to what was presented in it's advertising.

Since you yourself have already learnt the material presented in the course by other means I can fully appreciate that the course is not suitable to you.

I myself cannot see myself returning the course. The book the Einstein factor did not become available on the Australian market till recently and I won't for the life of me pay $60 for any book.

Alex

BTW I must thank you I had intended to purchase the Memory Optimser course but your low opinion of it led me to reconsider.
thank you

Administrator
Administrator

Margaret I forgot to thank you also for *not* answering my question and restating what I had originally said in the last line of my of my first post in this topic.

Quote;
Just my ideas opinions will differ of cause.

I had originally posted my learning experience for the benefit of others who might be reading this forum. Now that you have highlighted how wrong my ideas and experiences are I see the errors of my way.

To the members of this forum.
I would like to apologise to the forum for taking up their time. It is apparent to me that I am doing it wrong and that a product like the genius code cannot benefit me. The fact that my insight came to me by having an open mind (as perscribed in the photoreading course) and *not* image streaming is wrong.

Sorry for offering my experience for your consideration. It did not belong here.

Alex

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Wendy_Greer 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved