Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#22459 07/31/01 09:38 AM
bujin Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi. I've just got a couple of questions regarding Photoreading. I've had the book for months, but I simply haven't had the time to practice at all. The only time I could actually get to practise is during the day in work (when I should be doing work! ). However, I can't exactly take books into work to read, so, my first question is this:

What is the best way to go about photoreading Internet/Computer material? What applications are best to use? The most useful one I've found so far is Acrobat reader, because of the page-flip option (although you need to use a high resolution on the monitor to be able to make out the words!). Are there any other decent applications? If not, what is the best way of page flipping on something like Word or Internet Explorer?

My second question is along similar lines. I found a link to a Stereoreading site, and found that as I stereoread War and Peace (not much choice of interesting material!), that I couldn't stop my eyes from blinking - it was like I was fighting to keep my eyes open. The book's not THAT boring is it??? Seriously, though, what could that mean?

My final question is to do with Activation. Or rather DE-Activation. It's just something I thought of last night on the way home from work. You know how it is, when you get a rather annoying song into your head (which, I think, is some form of spontaneous activation if it just "pops in"). What's the best way of de-activating it so that it doesn't drive you nuts!!!

#22460 08/02/01 04:27 PM

I know exactly what you mean! Songs that just wouldn't stop playing in your head....

Equally annoying is when someone in conversation says a word that is used in the lyrics of a song you like. That happens to me, where that song will up and start playing in my head. I guess thats "subliminal perception" at work, as well as spontaneous activation.

Try shifting your awareness to something else....and talk with someone about it. That works well for me. It seems the repeating-song is replaced the topic of the conversation.

#22461 08/02/01 04:31 PM

PhotoReading internet/computer info? Your choice of clicking a screenful at a time, or just scrolling right through it. Then, start activating it one layer at a time, from whole-to-parts.

#22462 08/02/01 08:50 PM
bujin Offline OP
OP Offline

Cheers, Dana, I'll give it a go!

Actually, going back to the "annoying song" problem, I just remembered something a friend of mine said a few years back. He said that if you get an annoying song in your head and it won't shift by trying not to think about it, think about it even more and sing it to yourself. Once you sing it through, it goes. Weird!

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved