Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

lespaulsarecool,

Thanks for your posts. Alittle skepticism is healthy.

70% comprehension of an 800-page book spending only a half hour is far from a realistic achievable goal, especially for someone who hasn't mastered the basics of PhotoReading yet.

An example. If you had a book that would require 10 hours to comprehend with your present reading skills, a beginning PhotoReader would spend 3 hours or less and achieve better comprehension and retention. After you complete a PhotoReading seminar training, or the audiocassette homestudy course, you will get through and comprehend your reading material 3 times faster than it takes you right now. And we back it with a satisfaction guarantee, plus free coaching assistance at our 800#. With a 96-98% satisfaction rate, your chances of "not getting it" are pretty slim. =)

The PhotoReading step (3) allows you to imprint all the patterns of text directly into your "inner mind" where it immediately begins building associations and links to your existing knowledge base. Then, the activation techniques begin building comprehension in layers at a conscious level, from whole-to-parts. After a few 30-minute activation sessions, the entire book "gels" and you have full comprehension.

PhotoReading does not replace regular-reading. But, you will notice your regular-reading speed double and triple after using it a while.

So, how did you learn to PhotoRead? The home study course or a live seminar? How many books have you done all 5 steps on? Prepare/Preview/PhotoRead/Activate/Rapid Read?

OP Offline

Oh i see so the rapid reading is only for like extra comprehension so would be useful for example around exam times etc etc?

REALLY i wondered why it took so long and the claims were so fast! duh!

I am yet to experience any activation yet though and have photoread a book twice now so getting kinda worried an scepitical which I know isnt good.

I cannot see the blip page and so use the 'x' method yet without the X !! I try to concentrate on the edges of the pages and not the words although the words do ssem to be in focus if I chose to look at them is this wrong?

I am having trouble concentrating though and lose it sometimes.

It is talked about to be in the photofocus state?? ios this necessary? or can you just do as I said and concentrate on the edges using the 'x' method and get the SAME results??

how long does it take to get used to this system as I am a student and time is not an ample resource?

OP Offline

I am in the uk 800 numbers tricky what about the email I sent on music etc in the hiatus?

so can you sepnd time just activating then or do you need to photoread again and again and activate again and again?

what is the point if it does not replace regular reading that is my entire purpose to get through many more texts tyhan are necessary for my course and get them in my mind.

Many activation sessions as you put it where the book 'gels' that is almost obvious in the way in which the mind works I am a psychology major and the constant reviewing previewing postviewing super reading and rapid reading many times over would do this making the photoreading part itself almost seem irrelevant

You might find what you need at: <A HREF="http://www.lifetools.com" TARGET=_blank>www.lifetools.com[/URL]</A> This is an UK photoreading site. This site is in Stockport. The number is: 01189 483444
you can reach the moderator at:
cpayne@lifetools.demon.co.uk
(In reference to the american '800" number.)
Hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by jonah (edited August 09, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by jonah (edited August 09, 2001).]

I am a brand new Photoreader (began the home course 2 weeks ago) and found that I was having doubts similar to lespaulsarecool. Reading all the replies have infused me with a new enthusiasm to "Stay with it". I am still wanting to read a reply to lespaulsarecool's last question:
If you are going to be doing several passes of activation through a book, aren't you likely to get the same effect even without the Photoreading step?

OP Offline

can people please help out prynceska and I truly what is the point of photoreading?? except familiarity becuase many activations will give you the same information and to get more info you 'raid read' I mean obviously if you want more info you read the book properly and dont give me the crap that you do it more quickly becasue you are familiar with some bits - OBVIOUSLY! I mean it all seems a bit 'conny' and I truly dont see the point to all the exercises involved and pratice in photoreading!

OP Offline

Many passes at PR stage!

Many activation sessions!

Even people saying slow dwon at Super and dip stage ! I mean how long is it actually taking to get a book together or textbook for university you could revert back to the old regular reading and feel more confident and if you wanted to cut your time you can just take in some speed reading ideas and get it done.

I m sorry I dont see this working!!

Hi les pauls and company,
There are several reasons that PRing is much more preferable to regular reading or speedreading.

1. Speed reading is usually quite taxing and most people can't speedread all day long without becoming very tired or fatigued. PRing can be done all day if you want because it is relaxing and enjoyable.

2. With PRing, you first build your understanding of the material from the biggest picture possile; then you fill in the details as needed for your particular application.

3. When I used to regular read text books (or any book for that matter) I would tend to get lost in the details, or I would read so slowly that my mind would drift off to some other topic and 3 pages later I would realize that I had no clue as to what the author was talking about.

4. If this system is applied to your text books correctly, you will be able to understand the topic in 1/3 the time that it takes to regular read the same text with the same or better comprehension. This is the starting place and when you master the system you can get even faster.

5. One does not expect to hit a hole-in-one their first time on the golf course. One should also not expect to be able to use this system first time through a book as efficiently as Paul Scheele does (he's had 15+ years of practice). The system works. Play with it and give yourself some time to learn it.

To answer the question:
"If you are going to be doing several passes of activation through a book, aren't you likely to get the same effect even without the Photoreading step?"

In short No! The PR step is for putting the information into your brain. You simply don't think it's in there because you don't consciously recall anything. What is actually happening is that new neurofibers are being laid down and storage of the information that has been PR is taking place. The manual activation sessions are used to bring the information that has been PR into the conscious mind for conscious comprehension.

You only need to PR a book ONCE to get the information into your brain. Many people PR one particular book several times for many different reasons but only once is really neccessary. This particular step only takes about 10 minutes so it's no big deal to PR a book more than once. When I PR a book, I usually PR the book once forewards then once backwards simply because it's easy for me to do and doesn't take much more time as I am already in state. This step IS neccessary though, and if left out you are handicapping yourself in the worst way.

The activation sessions. The amount of time (the number of activation sessions) one chooses to spend on a particular book depends on several factors.
1. How familiar are you with the topic? If you know nothing about qunatum physics and you are reading a colege level text book for the first time, it will take a little while longer to understand the material than if you have been studying this subject for some time.
2. How experienced are you with the activation steps? If you are a rank beginner (just learning the system and have fully activated less than 5-10 books), you can expect to take a few more activation sessions than someone who is quite practiced with the system.
3. What level of knowledge do you want? If you want to simply be familiar with the topic, you will need fewer activation session than someone who desires to be able to teach the material.
4. Your physical condition also plays a factor. If you have been outside in the sun all day water skiing and are tired and dehydrated, you are going to have more difficulty than if you are rested, fed, and well hydrated.
5. Your mental attitude will play a role. If you are frustrated with something, angry, or uptight about something then you will have a more difficult time activating a book than someone who is not handicapped in this way.
6. If you think you can or think you can't, you're probably right. Self fullfiling prophesies work with this system as with everything else in life.

Now Les, you say "I mean how long is it actually taking to get a book together or textbook for university you could revert back to the old regular reading and feel more confident and if you wanted to cut your time you can just take in some speed reading ideas and get it done."

There is a difference between just getting through the marterial and actually understanding what meaning the author of the text is trying to convey. PR allows one to actually understand the material they are going through rather than "just getting it done". Regular reading and speedreading are not as effective or efficient at building comprehension as PRing is.

Does that answer your question? If not, then ask again.

Sincerely,
Gregoryh

Thanks GregoryH! Your very comprehensive e-mail has settled many of my doubts. I'll keep plodding along!

Hi, Gregory
While I appreciated your general explanation of PR, my experience (even allowing for the fact that I am a newbie compared to yourself) is that the photoreading process is *work*. It feels hard, like serious exertion is being made. I could not possibly do it all day, enjoyably, as you suggest.

best always,
Mike
moochy_hope@yahoo.com

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved