Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
OP Offline

Is it me or are all the methods used sufficient enough to learn a book without the actual 'photoreading' stage?

Rapid reading - is it supposed to take that long? - when you have added all the techniques together you could probably read the book cover to cover with a few speed reading techniques in the same time that dont take nearly as much time or concentration.

Can skittering be left out?

this methods all seem very useful for a 'book' but what avbout text books with 800 pages with different sections etc all over the place previews will take for ever for a real understanding?

Please help me as i wish this method to work and be a quick and easy way but it does seem very timme consuming !

I want to be able to read such a 800 page book in under an hour is this possible and remember a goo 70% of it?

thanks to all in advance and please help!

lespaulsarecool

I hope this answers your question:

1) all steps in the PR system is required, but, play with it and see what works for you.
You might need to modify some steps to fit your need.

2) In learning the system, it is cumbersome in doing the steps, but as you stay with it, it gets easier and quicker. PR is vastly superior to seedreading (Your eyes do not get tired, you remember more of your readings and for longer periods than with speed reading.)

3) It works on all materials-no matter how long or short. But, again here, use the NOPS (NOTICE, OWN, PLAY, STAY)
Hope this helped.
jonah

[This message has been edited by jonah (edited August 07, 2001).]

lespaulsarecool:

It's seems to me that you are in an awful hurry to get the system to work for you, and within that in itself is creating stress which makes it difficult for all of the steps to come together. What I recommend to you is to "throttle back" on yourself and go through it with the mindset that if it works, "Wonderful"!, if not, that is fine also! and that will make a big difference. I've had the course since spring of 2000, and I start and then I stop. Then I pick it up again, no big deal. Remove the stress and go easy on yourself. There is no right, there is no wrong, just feedback. And please remember, NOPS. Notice your feeling and results, Own up to them, Play with the system, modify it to suit You!. And last but not least, Stay with it.

quote:
Originally posted by jonah:
1) all steps in the PR system are required

Not true. Not true at all. Often you can skip rapid reading as long as you feel that you have enough comprehension. Some people skip previewing for various reasons.

I agree with bubbles of evil. I don't rapid read at all, it doesn't make sense to me, e.g. the rapid reading technique. instead, I super read and dip, for more comprehension I regular read. I prefer postviewing over preview because I tend to want all of the information right then and spend way too much time previewing.

The only person you are going to discredit is yourself. Got it? Yourself.

The PhRing system is just fine. Unfortunately there are many people out there who lack patience, discipline, and just plain good common sense.

Everyone seems to want everything yesterday.

Good point Margaret!! it seems to me that this generation, I don't want anyone taking this the wrong way but, are sooooo into instant gratification. It's like the Duncan Hines cake mix commercial when the housewife comes home with the cake mix in the box and a few seconds later, she's spreading chocolate icing on the cake. But what you don't see is all the ingredience that is being put into the cake, the stirring and mixing and baking, the toil and sweat. All that takes time! You all get my point? Photoreading especially!!! It's just not gonna happen overnite!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP Offline

thanks for all your replies and margaret that is no way of making people stick at anything my point is that with all the previews postviews speed read and rapid read you take in enough information to be able to comprehend a book and the idea of rapid reading again and again for greater comprehension all makes the actual photoreading stage seem pointless, as you can pick up the information you need from these methods which are far less needing of accelerative laerning states or whatever. the actual photoreading part seems like the marketing ploy to make it seem as if L.S.C. has actually stumbled across how to ingest a book quickly and the photoreading is their idea oftheir input when truly it is pointless.

Secondly, how are you suppossed to stick at something and ignore your regular reading in pratice of photoreading when you have essays and projects to complete through your comprehension of books it is far easier to get on with reading it or speed reading it thatn practicing for months on end a perfecting this method that may not even work and possibly cost me my degree.

I cannot telephone the company for advice as I am in the U.K. and e mail address would be useful to get some feedback

Hi
Once I have photoread a book, I go over it again at superspeed rates, not trying to understand it, but rather being alert to my feelings of pleasure or of completeness which alert me to the need to do some more indepth reading.
It's a little hard to adjust to the subconscious carrying on much of the workload ordinarily given to the conscious mind. My experience, though, is that this method is highly productive.
I trained my girlfriend in integrative reading, just using Scheele's book as my guide. She created a term report in about 1/10 the usual time, with her teacher commenting that it was "highly creative" while giving her an A!
One note:I am a nontraditionalist when using Scheele's system. I mix and blend from Callahan's "Five Minute Phobia Cure" and lightly tap part of the hand instead of doing Scheele's chanting. Seems to work fine

best wishes,
Mike
moochy_hope@yahoo.com

hi lespaulsarecool,
The rapid reading step is the last step in the process as you already know. However this step is supposed to be used only if you have a vague general idea that you want more out of the book and are unsure as to what you want OR you are simply curious and want to see if you missed something during all the other steps. Personally, I have yet to use rapid reading on a book and dont anticipate the need to do so in the future.

The PR step itself is neccessary in order to input the information into your sub-conscious mind. The activation steps are for bringing that information into your conscious mind. Without the PR step, direct activation would be impossible. Direct learning is soooo cool.

I very highly recommend that you go through the course one or two more times. I think that would clear up alot of you confusion.

Hope this helps,
Gregory

lespaulsarecool,

Thanks for your posts. Alittle skepticism is healthy.

70% comprehension of an 800-page book spending only a half hour is far from a realistic achievable goal, especially for someone who hasn't mastered the basics of PhotoReading yet.

An example. If you had a book that would require 10 hours to comprehend with your present reading skills, a beginning PhotoReader would spend 3 hours or less and achieve better comprehension and retention. After you complete a PhotoReading seminar training, or the audiocassette homestudy course, you will get through and comprehend your reading material 3 times faster than it takes you right now. And we back it with a satisfaction guarantee, plus free coaching assistance at our 800#. With a 96-98% satisfaction rate, your chances of "not getting it" are pretty slim. =)

The PhotoReading step (3) allows you to imprint all the patterns of text directly into your "inner mind" where it immediately begins building associations and links to your existing knowledge base. Then, the activation techniques begin building comprehension in layers at a conscious level, from whole-to-parts. After a few 30-minute activation sessions, the entire book "gels" and you have full comprehension.

PhotoReading does not replace regular-reading. But, you will notice your regular-reading speed double and triple after using it a while.

So, how did you learn to PhotoRead? The home study course or a live seminar? How many books have you done all 5 steps on? Prepare/Preview/PhotoRead/Activate/Rapid Read?

OP Offline

Oh i see so the rapid reading is only for like extra comprehension so would be useful for example around exam times etc etc?

REALLY i wondered why it took so long and the claims were so fast! duh!

I am yet to experience any activation yet though and have photoread a book twice now so getting kinda worried an scepitical which I know isnt good.

I cannot see the blip page and so use the 'x' method yet without the X !! I try to concentrate on the edges of the pages and not the words although the words do ssem to be in focus if I chose to look at them is this wrong?

I am having trouble concentrating though and lose it sometimes.

It is talked about to be in the photofocus state?? ios this necessary? or can you just do as I said and concentrate on the edges using the 'x' method and get the SAME results??

how long does it take to get used to this system as I am a student and time is not an ample resource?

OP Offline

I am in the uk 800 numbers tricky what about the email I sent on music etc in the hiatus?

so can you sepnd time just activating then or do you need to photoread again and again and activate again and again?

what is the point if it does not replace regular reading that is my entire purpose to get through many more texts tyhan are necessary for my course and get them in my mind.

Many activation sessions as you put it where the book 'gels' that is almost obvious in the way in which the mind works I am a psychology major and the constant reviewing previewing postviewing super reading and rapid reading many times over would do this making the photoreading part itself almost seem irrelevant

You might find what you need at: <A HREF="http://www.lifetools.com" TARGET=_blank>www.lifetools.com[/URL]</A> This is an UK photoreading site. This site is in Stockport. The number is: 01189 483444
you can reach the moderator at:
cpayne@lifetools.demon.co.uk
(In reference to the american '800" number.)
Hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by jonah (edited August 09, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by jonah (edited August 09, 2001).]

I am a brand new Photoreader (began the home course 2 weeks ago) and found that I was having doubts similar to lespaulsarecool. Reading all the replies have infused me with a new enthusiasm to "Stay with it". I am still wanting to read a reply to lespaulsarecool's last question:
If you are going to be doing several passes of activation through a book, aren't you likely to get the same effect even without the Photoreading step?

OP Offline

can people please help out prynceska and I truly what is the point of photoreading?? except familiarity becuase many activations will give you the same information and to get more info you 'raid read' I mean obviously if you want more info you read the book properly and dont give me the crap that you do it more quickly becasue you are familiar with some bits - OBVIOUSLY! I mean it all seems a bit 'conny' and I truly dont see the point to all the exercises involved and pratice in photoreading!

OP Offline

Many passes at PR stage!

Many activation sessions!

Even people saying slow dwon at Super and dip stage ! I mean how long is it actually taking to get a book together or textbook for university you could revert back to the old regular reading and feel more confident and if you wanted to cut your time you can just take in some speed reading ideas and get it done.

I m sorry I dont see this working!!

Hi les pauls and company,
There are several reasons that PRing is much more preferable to regular reading or speedreading.

1. Speed reading is usually quite taxing and most people can't speedread all day long without becoming very tired or fatigued. PRing can be done all day if you want because it is relaxing and enjoyable.

2. With PRing, you first build your understanding of the material from the biggest picture possile; then you fill in the details as needed for your particular application.

3. When I used to regular read text books (or any book for that matter) I would tend to get lost in the details, or I would read so slowly that my mind would drift off to some other topic and 3 pages later I would realize that I had no clue as to what the author was talking about.

4. If this system is applied to your text books correctly, you will be able to understand the topic in 1/3 the time that it takes to regular read the same text with the same or better comprehension. This is the starting place and when you master the system you can get even faster.

5. One does not expect to hit a hole-in-one their first time on the golf course. One should also not expect to be able to use this system first time through a book as efficiently as Paul Scheele does (he's had 15+ years of practice). The system works. Play with it and give yourself some time to learn it.

To answer the question:
"If you are going to be doing several passes of activation through a book, aren't you likely to get the same effect even without the Photoreading step?"

In short No! The PR step is for putting the information into your brain. You simply don't think it's in there because you don't consciously recall anything. What is actually happening is that new neurofibers are being laid down and storage of the information that has been PR is taking place. The manual activation sessions are used to bring the information that has been PR into the conscious mind for conscious comprehension.

You only need to PR a book ONCE to get the information into your brain. Many people PR one particular book several times for many different reasons but only once is really neccessary. This particular step only takes about 10 minutes so it's no big deal to PR a book more than once. When I PR a book, I usually PR the book once forewards then once backwards simply because it's easy for me to do and doesn't take much more time as I am already in state. This step IS neccessary though, and if left out you are handicapping yourself in the worst way.

The activation sessions. The amount of time (the number of activation sessions) one chooses to spend on a particular book depends on several factors.
1. How familiar are you with the topic? If you know nothing about qunatum physics and you are reading a colege level text book for the first time, it will take a little while longer to understand the material than if you have been studying this subject for some time.
2. How experienced are you with the activation steps? If you are a rank beginner (just learning the system and have fully activated less than 5-10 books), you can expect to take a few more activation sessions than someone who is quite practiced with the system.
3. What level of knowledge do you want? If you want to simply be familiar with the topic, you will need fewer activation session than someone who desires to be able to teach the material.
4. Your physical condition also plays a factor. If you have been outside in the sun all day water skiing and are tired and dehydrated, you are going to have more difficulty than if you are rested, fed, and well hydrated.
5. Your mental attitude will play a role. If you are frustrated with something, angry, or uptight about something then you will have a more difficult time activating a book than someone who is not handicapped in this way.
6. If you think you can or think you can't, you're probably right. Self fullfiling prophesies work with this system as with everything else in life.

Now Les, you say "I mean how long is it actually taking to get a book together or textbook for university you could revert back to the old regular reading and feel more confident and if you wanted to cut your time you can just take in some speed reading ideas and get it done."

There is a difference between just getting through the marterial and actually understanding what meaning the author of the text is trying to convey. PR allows one to actually understand the material they are going through rather than "just getting it done". Regular reading and speedreading are not as effective or efficient at building comprehension as PRing is.

Does that answer your question? If not, then ask again.

Sincerely,
Gregoryh

Thanks GregoryH! Your very comprehensive e-mail has settled many of my doubts. I'll keep plodding along!

Hi, Gregory
While I appreciated your general explanation of PR, my experience (even allowing for the fact that I am a newbie compared to yourself) is that the photoreading process is *work*. It feels hard, like serious exertion is being made. I could not possibly do it all day, enjoyably, as you suggest.

best always,
Mike
moochy_hope@yahoo.com

Sorry to hear that PRing is so much work for you moochy. It's more like playing to me. If I wanted I could spend all day PRing. Perhaps you are working too hard at the process.

Play hard,
Gregory

OP Offline

Gregory come on I mean 'just get through it' dont pick on my wording you know exactly what I mean regular reading still gives a 70% comprehension - dont be snooty!

Your belief that you are really 'putting the information in your mind' is laughable you are doing that with the activation sessions and rapid reading etc etc this is how we learn, in short I think scheele is using the actual photoreading step as a personal input to already useful methods and cashing in on it!

State - one min im not to worry about it now it is critical - this is probably my main problem I also have problems keeping concentration with children around and a busy student house concentrating can be a problem!

Have you read the message I posted in response to your inquiries? It is as follows:

Hey--interestingly, i had the exact same skepticism about the photoreading step: if it is actually necessary considering all the repetitive activations that must be done afterwards. I haven't done enough activating on any book so far, so I haven't experienced a book "gelling." But, this just occured to me: since photoreading whole mind system focuses on using the more powerful subconscious mind, CONSCIOUS comprehension would be greatly delayed while we go through all the steps of the system. That is, a full conscious comprehension probably should be expected to occur instantly once the subconscious works it all out after sufficient activation has been done. (Am I right, folks?) With that in mind, I have decided to just repeat my activations on several books admist utter confusion and very little comprehension with hope that it will all come together at once (gels). I'm just waiting for that to happen (I've spent 3.5 hours activating two highly technical textbooks for college). I feel that it would take several more sessions since it would take me about 36 hours regular reading only one of them with full comprehension.

And I got a reply from Dana Hanson concerning my post:

You're right on track!
As a beginning PhotoReader gets through and comprehends their material 3 times faster, a book which would take 36 hours with regular reading would take around 12 hours with PR. And that boils down to about (22) 30-minute activation sessions, or less.

Remember for technical books to treat each chapter as a "book" itself and activate it from whole-to-parts.

Have you read the message I posted in response to your inquiries? It is as follows:

Hey--interestingly, i had the exact same skepticism about the photoreading step: if it is actually necessary considering all the repetitive activations that must be done afterwards. I haven't done enough activating on any book so far, so I haven't experienced a book "gelling." But, this just occured to me: since photoreading whole mind system focuses on using the more powerful subconscious mind, CONSCIOUS comprehension would be greatly delayed while we go through all the steps of the system. That is, a full conscious comprehension probably should be expected to occur instantly once the subconscious works it all out after sufficient activation has been done. (Am I right, folks?) With that in mind, I have decided to just repeat my activations on several books admist utter confusion and very little comprehension with hope that it will all come together at once (gels). I'm just waiting for that to happen (I've spent 3.5 hours activating two highly technical textbooks for college). I feel that it would take several more sessions since it would take me about 36 hours regular reading only one of them with full comprehension.

And I got a reply from Dana Hanson concerning my post:

You're right on track!
As a beginning PhotoReader gets through and comprehends their material 3 times faster, a book which would take 36 hours with regular reading would take around 12 hours with PR. And that boils down to about (22) 30-minute activation sessions, or less.

Remember for technical books to treat each chapter as a "book" itself and activate it from whole-to-parts.

Hi Les Pauls,
I'm sorry that you interpreted my post as being snooty. I didn't mean to sound that way.

When I used to regular read, before I learned PRing, I was lucky to get 60% comprehension. I do not know where you are in your learning of the system or your particular reading level before you started PRing. Your scepticism can be healthy, it can also block you from learning better ways of doing things. Perhaps you might consider putting your scepticism aside for a long enough period of time that you might be able to experience what others are talking about.

The info that is PR does enter into the subconscious mind. I know this from some experiences that I've had since I started PRing. Unfortunately, apearantly the only way that you will accept the possibility is if you experience the effect personaly. I sincerely hope you learn and are able to incorporate the system into your life.

Gregory

OP Offline

Gregory I just dont think youre listening to what im saying now youre being small minded!!! You will experience such 'gelling' i mean come on with some many passes through the book yure bound to photoreading or not - THIS THIS is what i have been trying to tell you as is quoted only a small percentage of a book is useful and a basic 50%-70% comprehension is gained through regular reading is bound to be picked up over like what did he say 22!! 22!! activation sessions and the information youll likely need for the textbook will involve rapid reading so will take you far longer - my point is merely this ----

I do NOT doubt the methods used to cut 50-70% comprehension of a book in a smaller time period as they are very useful as you are continually coming back to the information - BUT BUT the photoreading is not necessary to gain this and I believe it is merely a method of the LSC cashing in on their RE-discovery of GOOD learning techniques and I think you are being naive in believing such things .

Put it this way 22 ativation sessions with reading other things in between I mean you re gonna lead to downfall getting confused.

It is a metod of reading/picking up newspaper article size inputs over a period of time and continually renewing this makes it stick in your LTM - UNCONSCIOUS.

DONT BE TAKEN IN SO EASILY!!

gratefully ]

lespaulsarecool

Well, if you don't think it works for you then don’t use it and let us "naive" ones keeps learning the useless system.

PhotoReading regardless if that specific stage doesn't work has given me structure to reading that I didn't have before. I would usually just aimlessly go in with out a goal or what I wanted or how I was going to read the best. I am a person, who wants structure while doing certain activities, and reading is one of them, I didn't have it before this course, now I do. I can sit down now, know exactly the approach I am going to take while reading, know why I am reading, and that is a great help. A construction company doesn't just start building a house with no plans, no, they get blue prints and the works, they have to know what they are doing, and it makes them much more productive and better workers. Just like when I sit down to read I need a plan to read, and that makes me a better and faster reader.

There are people who just don’t like PhotoReading, and might not ever like it, and you are one of them, so I don’t know why you keep posting, is it that you have fun belittling people, which looks like it to me, or you might just like arguing, whatever it is this is my last post on this thread.

LOL. This is a quite funny debate. Who is naive here? The skeptics will say the supporters, the supporters may say the skeptics. Just the same think. Why not trying it out for a while and decide later? Why not follow the steps and guidelines given by the coaches and stop yelling YOU ARE NAIVE!!!!!?? If PR is indeed what it is supposed to be, then it can't hurt to try it out and if it works, then IT'S THE GREATEST SYSTEM IN EXISTENCE!!!!! Think about it.

Just more thoughts. It occurs to me that most people (at the extent of my knowledge) treats as false everything that at their first impression seems to be strange or at least rare. According to this line of thought, everyone stupid enough to try it is naive. But, how many treasures are out there waiting to be discovered that are just overlooked because of that lack of courage of the "smart guys". PR may be well one of those things that simply work and many take it as garbage, as a hoax put in the net to lure some fools. Just about how many of all people can be geniuses and they aren't because they are cowards? Yes, cowards. Those people that don't have the courage to be fools and try out something even when it may be a hoax. If we research the subject, we may decide if this may be a hoax or not. Then try it out. And if the system or whatever has a money back guarantee, then there is nothing to lose in trying it out, just some embarrasment. That's the point; cowards can't afford that.

Hi lespauls,
If you believe that the PR step is a gimic and useless, then don't do it; but remember that you are modifying the course and removing what Paul Scheele describes as a critical step that is neccessary. Myself and many others that have learned how to PR agree with him.

When you get frustrated enough with your "modified system" not working, you have two choices. 1.) Open your mind and learn the course as taught by Paul Scheele; OR 2.) return the course to LSC and get your money back.

Thank you for trying to enlighten me as to the errors of my ways as taught by Paul Sheele and Learning Strategies Corporation concerning PhotoReading. Your efforts are appreciated. However, I choose to remain on my path of ignorance and will continue to work the system as it is taught by LSC.

Good luck in the application of your PRing technique.

Sincerely,
Gregory

lespaulsarecool,

You strike me as being the kind of person who wants instant gratification. You have now put up a wall for yourself. You need to work with the system and use it when you can. This is not something you make happen it is something you let happen. YOU NEED TO BE A LITTLE MORE OPEN TO NEW IDEAS. Lighten up.

quote:
Originally posted by allenhm:
Good point Margaret!! it seems to me that this generation, I don't want anyone taking this the wrong way but, are sooooo into instant gratification. It's like the Duncan Hines cake mix commercial when the housewife comes home with the cake mix in the box and a few seconds later, she's spreading chocolate icing on the cake. But what you don't see is all the ingredience that is being put into the cake, the stirring and mixing and baking, the toil and sweat. All that takes time! You all get my point? Photoreading especially!!! It's just not gonna happen overnite!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lespaularecool:

Please, Please, Please, remember this post that I posted on the 7 August 2001.
It is stated above. If you cannot, will not think about what has been stated, then by all means, request that you be refunded. I'm so sorry that your lack of will to see the whole thing through has clouded your better judgement. Maybe the Evelyn Woods speed reading course would be much more suited towards your needs and your impatience.

OP Offline

it is not impatience so stop being so snooty!!!!!

I DID - DID sya it was a very good way of structuring your reading and a good way of getting to know a book I mean 22 activation sessions returning to one book many time will do this my point was merely photoreading is useless but the other methods work fine - THEY are what make the book gel NOT the actual photoreading step why dont you stop being sceptical , open your mind and try it honestly without.

Another point I made was once you have photoread and activated material you will want to do more and more and to make it stick and gel you need to repeatedly activate the material - this will lead to confusion and another information overload - a lot of strain and the photofocus state is neither here or there.

quote:
Originally posted by lespaulsarecool:
it is not impatience so stop being so snooty!!!!!

I DID - DID sya it was a very good way of structuring your reading and a good way of getting to know a book I mean 22 activation sessions returning to one book many time will do this my point was merely photoreading is useless but the other methods work fine - THEY are what make the book gel NOT the actual photoreading step why dont you stop being sceptical , open your mind and try it honestly without.

Another point I made was once you have photoread and activated material you will want to do more and more and to make it stick and gel you need to repeatedly activate the material - this will lead to confusion and another information overload - a lot of strain and the photofocus state is neither here or there.

LesPaul,
The only one being 'snotty' is you. The people on this post are trying to help you by tell what works for them. Everything people have posted has either been misunderstood or 'snotty' Grow up. If you want the system to work, play around and see what works for you. But first stop being so snotty yourself have enough respect for people who are trying to help.

Les Pauls,

How do you know that the photoreading step itself is "useless", "irrelevant", "laughable", "pointless", and a "clever marketing gimic"?

How do you know that the Photoreading step of the process doesn't work as described by Paul Scheele?

[This message has been edited by Gregory (edited August 19, 2001).]

Remember that the recommended 22 activation sessions is for when you're still a beginner. Did it look like Pete did 22 activations on the infomercial?

This is just supposed to give you a good idea where to start, with a good idea of where you can end up.

Exactly. PhotoReaders know how much more powerfully printed information occurs to you when using the PhotoReading system. And we support anyone who has questions and wants to develop their skill. You can count on spending a 1/3 of the time it takes or less to comprehend your book using the PhotoReading system verses regular reading.

Lespaul, you're welcome to continue emailing me one-on-one when you are ready to develop your skill further.

kyo Offline

Lespauls,

Dude, if what u say is true, then how does one explain spontanious activation and all that jazz. What about all of those success stories? You dont just make stuff up like that. And besides, 22 activations is just for a 36 hour book. I know Im just a punk 16 year old that thinks he knows it all (and I do!!!) but in my short life-time ive learned that in order to get better at something ive had to work at it with effort and hold a genuine belief that what I am doing is gonna serve a purpose to better my quality of life, otherwise it just doesnt work out. I dunno what else can i say, you just gotta believe sometimes.

-Check ya later!

lespaulsarecool,

Hey i've had some troubles with the system but i have had enough good experiences to keep me thinking positive. And no, it's not magic. The photo reading step becomes more usefull as you use the entire system more. I think that as you read with your whole mind more it becomes easier and easier to retrive info from your inner mind.

Also, just look at all the people that are here to help you and guide you.

OP Offline

Right guys fair enough and points taken, I just dont see how it could replace regular reading maybe I need to spend a lot more time on it but i am about to re-embark on a degree course which is why I was looking for new 'learning stratergies', but I have tried numerous books and nothing - I cannot find the blip page and so use the 'x' method to 'photofocus' and sometimes lose concentration by the way I have not seen the informercial as it is not out in Britain!!!

I have trouble in finding how to find time to continue with these activation sessions I obviously have books to read BIG ONES and LOTS of them but photoreading one then another and then returning to the original for activiation sessions when you have photoread 20 books in between seems very confusing.

THANKS FOR ALL REPLIES IN ADVANCE

lespaulsarecool

Hey Lespaulsarecool, do you even have a Les Paul? I got a Black LP Studio with EMG's. Zack Wylde would be proud.

Why don't you try something. I did this with martial arts books but if you play guitar or something you can do it with music books. PR about 10 books on music theory (or something you're into) without activating them and see if "things" just start "comming to you." For the first month the actual PR step was the only step that was giving me anything- so I'm the opposite of you.

What exactly do you want to know that Gregory hasn't already patiently elucidated?

You have a serious attitude problem that is noticeable in your choice of words. You refuse to see how PhRing could replace regular reading. That's a mental block right there to learning it.

You have trouble finding time to do the activation step. That's another block. How can anyone help you w/ these blocks? Change your attitude to seeing posibilities. Change your discipline to finding time. Change your skepticism to enthusiasm to explore a new technique.

My advice to you is take a book & go to your friends & explain to them about the blip page. Then when one of them figures out how to get it, ask them to explain it to you.

IT TAKES TIME AND PRACTICE TO LEARN HOW TO TURN PAGES SMOOTHLY & KEEP THE BLIP PAGE IN FOCUS. NONE OF US DID IT OVER NIGHT. WE ALL HAD TO PRACTICE.

Go to your library & pick easy books. Easy books are books that are easy to turn pages & easy for keeping the blip page or X. Soften your gaze to see all 4 corners & look slightly above the middle of the book.

Good luck b/c you have a serious approach problem that has nothing to do w/ learning the PhRing technique.

quote:
Originally posted by Margaret:
What exactly do you want to know that Gregory hasn't already patiently elucidated?

You have a serious attitude problem that is noticeable in your choice of words. You refuse to see how PhRing could replace regular reading. That's a mental block right there to learning it.

You have trouble finding time to do the activation step. That's another block. How can anyone help you w/ these blocks? Change your attitude to seeing posibilities. Change your discipline to finding time. Change your skepticism to enthusiasm to explore a new technique.

My advice to you is take a book & go to your friends & explain to them about the blip page. Then when one of them figures out how to get it, ask them to explain it to you.

IT TAKES TIME AND PRACTICE TO LEARN HOW TO TURN PAGES SMOOTHLY & KEEP THE BLIP PAGE IN FOCUS. NONE OF US DID IT OVER NIGHT. WE ALL HAD TO PRACTICE.

Go to your library & pick easy books. Easy books are books that are easy to turn pages & easy for keeping the blip page or X. Soften your gaze to see all 4 corners & look slightly above the middle of the book.

Good luck b/c you have a serious approach problem that has nothing to do w/ learning the PhRing technique.

Good Point, Margaret. You seem to know this PRing backwards and forwards. How long have you been Photoreading?

5 going on 6 yrs.

quote:
Originally posted by jonah:
Good Point, Margaret. You seem to know this PRing backwards and forwards. How long have you been Photoreading?

OP Offline

yes I do own a les paul custom (black beauty) thank you and arent they the coolest sounding guitars ever!

Anyway my main problem is lack of commitment to practice if you really do believe it works obviously my mental lock is an ostacle but I have just over 2 weeks to learn three text books a 600 a 1300 and an 800 pages long for my degree course I have been working a lot to find money and havent had time but my inexperience and mental blocks are gonna be difficult to overcome in such as shoprt space of time are they not???

these are obviously long books and if I am unfamiliar with keeping the X or blip page will using the photoreading technique not be very useful to me as I need a good understanding of these books.

I also have a problem finding silence !!!!

Oh and yes I have gained very high ranking in martial arts to to the person with the les pauls questions - the problem with scales and chord books I find is that they are bound using those plastic binders that fit through the perforated holes so technically there is no middle of the two pages!!!

Obviously we have discovered my scepticism and blip pae 'problem'!!! but with such long books needing my attention all the time I find it very hard to concentrate proiperley on the PRing stage itself.

I do apologise for offending any body whilst in this discussion, look forward to hearing sucggestions and guidance to PRing and thank you all for your patience - or lack of it as the case may be!

Stay beautiful,

Les paul ARE cool!

Gregory,

I wanted to thank you for your posts. I have learned more about what can do to make my PR more successful. I have had several questions about this and knew no one I could ask questions with. Knowing a bit about psychology and hypnotherapy, I can see how it makes sence that the actual PhotoReading part would only need to be done once, why it is so important to use this step, and where the recall methods would be an area that I personally can focus more of my time on.

Also lespaulsarecool,

If you are having difficulties seeing the Blip.. let me try and suggest something. Sit about 5 feet from a wall, ( facing it ). focuse on a spot on the wall. While doing this, with an open book on your lap, bring the book in front of your view about 6 inches to a foot with out break your original focus. If you can do this, ( which took me like 3 days of practicing to do with out re-focusing on the book ), you should see the pages and all the words are a blurr. This is the state where you want to be in. If you can do this, than you can do this from the desk top. I don't think you have to see the blip as mentioned in the course. I do think the blip is there as a guide. Once you are able to keep your eyes focuse on a spot further than where the book is as I mentioned above, you will begin to notice as youturn pages that youwill see the blip, or each eye will see the center or crease of the book unfocused, thus creating the imaginary blip.

Hope this may help..

Also.. I know how difficult it can be with noise and kids running around. When I do my PR sessions, I've started lesting to musinc I can relax too. Experiment and see what music or sounds you can listen to, to help brng or keep your mind in the relaxed state the course talks about. And keep in mind that you can always buy the tape which this course offers (I did this) and I am able to relaxe and study well with out hearing the noise in the backround.

[This message has been edited by Ezra4no1 (edited August 30, 2001).]

Glad I could be of some assistance Ezra.
Keep at and you'll master the system.

Gregory,
I read your reply ... it was not snooty and the content helped me as a begining photo reader.

I have found this forum and the spirit of cooperation in it to be of enormous benefit in coaching and IN ENCOURAGEMENT!

I will endeavor to keep an open mind about PR and my results as I beieve in self fulfilling prophesy.

"Alas .. that which he feared most has come upon him"

Rob

Lespaulswithemgsneedbatteries,

I don't use the blip or X anymore. I just look at the whole page as if it's a poster and notice the whole thing at once- corners and white space. Because I read what's on a screen alot and what's in a 3 ring binder alot too I had to adapt.

I think the blip and X are for those that want to occupy their mind so they don't focus on a word but I have no problem not focusing on anything.

About taking on many big books at once: I'm assuming you don't have to have them all read at once- that you will have to read 1-2 chapters at a time in each, right? In that case don't Photoread any whole book, just do the chapters you have to do the night before (1 chapter from this book, one from that one, etc) and activate them during the classes and if you have to study more- mind probe and mind map. It will take less time than regular reading.

By the way, regular reading is just the study reading speed of rapid reading. You aren't throwing anything away or replacing anything. I still read things VERY SLOW at times.

Lespaulsarecool,
Once you learn to use the whole system, you can mix and match old reading ideas with new ones you learn in the system. I and Andy030 have adapted the system to meet our personal needs. It has worked great for both of us.

Also check out my post called "TRY IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!please". You might find something helpfull and inspiring there.

One thing that I would like to contribute is that the system is not intended to replace regular reading altogether. You can still use regular reading on short materials, such as letters and articles. PhotoReading, from my own experiences so far and according to what I have read, is best for absorbing large quantities of information in a relatively short period of time, thus increasing EFFICIENCY (and decreasing stress). I am still fairly new to the process, and so I don't claim to be an expert, but I have been applying it to some of my college studies and have found it helpful in going through textbook material. Hopefully, as I use the system more, I will become more and more convinced of its practicality. My approach is to practice the steps little by little without pushing myself too hard. There is more than one right way to use it.

I agree. PhotoReading like any technology is a tool. As with any tool, the more you use it the greater your skill with it becomes.

Practice makes perfect!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved