Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#23174 09/04/01 09:35 AM
Sidis Offline OP
OP Offline

I'll make this very simple:

If you read a lot, and possess even a spark of intelligence, you tend to pick up the basic structure of the language and apply it to your own writing.

Margaret (and others - I just arbitrarily chose her name), with the use of PhotoReading, claims to have read a great deal (I'm saying anything over 1 book per week is a great deal relative to the average person).

Margaret HAS NOT picked up on basic syntax and CANNOT organize her thoughts clearly (many others, but, again, I chose her name for no reason in particular). So, she must be either: a) stupid, or; b) not reading the books.

If you are not picking up on the basic damn structure of the language you're reading, you are NOT comprehending it, period. You can't read something, understand what's being said, and totally disregard how it was presented to you. There's a natural flow to language that is necessary FOR comprehension, but, of course, I don't need to tell you that since you already knew it and are just arguing with me because you feel some superficial sense of loyalty to long time forum members (which I can understand, though it's quite silly).

"Teenagers who think they know it all tend to speak in an adult proffessional manner, makes them feel accepted and like an adult. I'm 18, and I am beggining to figure out that you don't need to talk like that on forums. Just speak your mind and be yourself."

Good thing you put that one through the ol' spell checker, eh? Brilliant insight, by the way.. I'm impressed with your wisdom (note: that was a sarcastic statement)

#23175 09/04/01 12:23 PM

Sidis,

You seem like a relatively bright individual. What I do not understand is - why you are attacking members of the forum? There are many people who contribute to this forum who express themselves in a number of ways - some are highly organized and structured, some are not. In most cases, however, the contributions to the forum are productive and should not be discouraged - there is always the strong possibility that the contribution they have to make might be the key to overcoming the final stumbling block that someone else may have in trying to make the PhotoReading system work for them.

The kind of attack that you are making is the same nature of attack that I have seen in numerous journals of the "high IQ" clubs, such as Mensa, Intertel, the Triple Nine Society, and the ISPE. In these cases it has seemed that the individual making the attack was missing the argument being put forth and was instead focusing on details of grammar needlessly.

Finally, you might want to try to keep your ego a little more in check. I realize, as I wrote above, that you are probably a fairly bright individual - your choice of pseudonym indicates that you, at the very least, THINK you are pretty bright. You might want to give some thought to the fact that if you choose to engage in arguments on a regular basis and take "pot-shots" at people, you will come across somebody else with a little more cortical development than you and will be soundly trounced. Also, if you become too obnoxious you might find yourself bounced from the board.

Craig M. Parsons-Kerins
-The East Coast Omni-Heurist!

quote:
Originally posted by Sidis:
I'll make this very simple:

If you read a lot, and possess even a spark of intelligence, you tend to pick up the basic structure of the language and apply it to your own writing.

Margaret (and others - I just arbitrarily chose her name), with the use of PhotoReading, claims to have read a great deal (I'm saying anything over 1 book per week is a great deal relative to the average person).

Margaret HAS NOT picked up on basic syntax and CANNOT organize her thoughts clearly (many others, but, again, I chose her name for no reason in particular). So, she must be either: a) stupid, or; b) not reading the books.

If you are not picking up on the basic damn structure of the language you're reading, you are NOT comprehending it, period. You can't read something, understand what's being said, and totally disregard how it was presented to you. There's a natural flow to language that is necessary FOR comprehension, but, of course, I don't need to tell you that since you already knew it and are just arguing with me because you feel some superficial sense of loyalty to long time forum members (which I can understand, though it's quite silly).

"Teenagers who think they know it all tend to speak in an adult proffessional manner, makes them feel accepted and like an adult. I'm 18, and I am beggining to figure out that you don't need to talk like that on forums. Just speak your mind and be yourself."

Good thing you put that one through the ol' spell checker, eh? Brilliant insight, by the way.. I'm impressed with your wisdom (note: that was a sarcastic statement)

#23176 09/04/01 04:43 PM

Whut eef Margaret types fast?

Forgets words?

Doesn't go back und check because she's in a herry?

Huh? Uh, eeeerrrrrrrrr?

I gut emails all duh time from highly ejerkated people and it sounds like broken engish cuz it's just a darn email, it's a place to not be perfect and relax.

Gotta go, Wishbone is back on.

#23177 09/04/01 09:28 PM
Sidis Offline OP
OP Offline

ckerins: Though I have yet to encounter anyone that I would be willing to say has more intellectual potential than me (keyword: potential; raw 'talent'), I'll reluctantly acknowledge your point of view and refrain from attacking any specific members of the board.

Since you mentioned High IQ societies, I'll take this opportunity to say that I've made it a point to avoid them at all costs, though I've scored high enough to qualify very easily for each and every one of them(except the Giga Society - if you can call P.Cooijmans' little club a 'society'). Besides the obvious facts that IQ scores are easy to improve, which negates their value, and that they only test one specific mode of thought (there are an infinite number of them; none more valuable than any others), the people who choose to JOIN these clubs, I find, are individuals who have self-esteem issues and seek out the companionship of like minded (close-minded!) people in order to comfort themselves. Understandable, but irritating nonetheless. That's a generalization and those tend to get me in trouble, so I'll save myself by saying that there ARE a rare few that can't be placed under the label of 'pseudo-intellectual'.

Anywho - I'm not picking apart grammar so it seems as though I win the argument, even though I'm not presenting anything substantial. I'm stating the simple fact (hehe - I've already layed down my hand because I've hinted that I believe in multiple truths, illuminating to all that I'm arguing for the sake of arguing, but I'll continue to do so, anyway!) that if you consume vast amounts of information, you WILL 'copy' the form in which it is presented to you and replicate it when it comes time for you to present your ideas to others. There's just no real way around it..

Lots of people on this board are smart - no doubt. At the same time, though, lots of people (usually the most adament supporters of the system) seem to be playing with a little less than a full deck, if you know what I mean.

Just looking for verification that the techniques work. I'm not devoting my time to something that doesn't work - too lazy.

#23178 09/04/01 10:10 PM

Everyone makes mistakes when it comes to writing in English. I am in charge of writing articles for a news source, that will remain nameless here, almost once a day from October to June. I get some time off during the summer but I do enjoy my work.

I can tell you though that even professionals will managle a sentence or two every once in a while. It's really not that difficult to do. I also know when I post on a forum like this I do not really bother to check sentence structure because I couldn't care less if it sounds "professional". I save the "professional touch" for the articles I write.

#23179 09/05/01 06:25 AM

There's no way that I can absolutely prove that the techniques work, especially to someone who lives far away, but I have recently been using some of them in my college studies and I find it much easier now to stay on top of texbook material.

Additionally, the techniques by themselves are not the entire story. Another important component of the system is changing one's attitute towards learning so that the techniques will yield more benefit.

It's at least worth a try, in my humble opinion. I hope my brief message has been of some help. If not, I apologize.

#23180 09/11/01 03:17 AM

balkanboy2:
You really have too much time on your hands.
Go to bed and revisit your wife and put that restless energy to work will you???????

#23181 09/12/01 08:13 PM

Who was this "balkanboy2?" Did he say anything insulting about my reply?

#23182 09/12/01 08:20 PM

He is a skeptic like me to the PR system, except that he is needlessly confrontational, and obnoxious to other people in his posts (almost slanderous). As if that attitude changes anybody's mind - he did have some interesting things to say - but his attitude is an huge obstacle to conveying his message.

#23183 09/21/01 05:13 AM
ebo Offline

Oh my...

and here I sit with an advanced degree from the school of the spelling impaired. I once got 10% taken off of a geometry homework for spelling -- the teacher wanted to make a point...

There are different modes of thought and intellegance. I typically find that if I am "thinking in pictures" I'll typically spell the same word in at least 3 different ways in just a few hundred words. So, is my tangerine all bumpily today, or a smoth spereoid? How may dimentions is it, and is it doing a *funky chicken*? When I think in terms of words I generally do *much* better at spelling...

There is something else I've noticed... This forum has no spell checker I've been able to find. So I bid you eraticalicly Websteronian yours,

EBo --

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved