Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#23184 09/29/01 12:19 AM

My my, if it isn't God's great gift to mankind that you have so gracefully extended your welcome onto this board.

You claim you've never met anyone with as much intellectual potential as you, but that you have not joined societies such Mensa because you feel they have esteem issues. If an esteem issue is dominant in those societies, let me assure you that you are well-suited.

To say that no one is as smart as "ye who bears so eloquent a name as William James" sounds to me like someone who is ego-centered and immature. I don't care if you write with the genius of Alexander Pope or John Donne, you still have a lot of growing up to do.

Medical books are written in English, and usually with correct grammar. Yet, I've seen doctors who speak poor English. Math books have, to some extent, English in them, and those that do have correct grammar as well. Yet I've seen many Engineers, Scientists, and Mathematicians who are educated in the United States and Canada (I refer to predominantly English-speaking provinces) that cannot speak English very well.

Speaking English is a skill, and as such takes practice to perform well. Being a proficient photoreader does not mean that photoreading novels will change your speech.

You are trying to find flaws in a system I don't think you fully understand, and in your path to do so you have insulted someone.

So kudos to the a**hole with the high IQ. You have a nice big chip in your shoulder. I hope you realize someday that the reason you don't have friends that are smarter than you is because you probably don't make many friends.

Cinseerilly URS,
Ramon, IQ of 161, who just doesn't like to hang around people like you because he's smart enough to know a jackass when he sees one.

[This message has been edited by razordu30 (edited September 28, 2001).]

#23185 09/29/01 01:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Sidis:
ckerins: Though I have yet to encounter anyone that I would be willing to say has more intellectual potential than me (keyword: potential; raw 'talent'), I'll reluctantly acknowledge your point of view and refrain from attacking any specific members of the board.

Since you mentioned High IQ societies, I'll take this opportunity to say that I've made it a point to avoid them at all costs, though I've scored high enough to qualify very easily for each and every one of them(except the Giga Society - if you can call P.Cooijmans' little club a 'society'). Besides the obvious facts that IQ scores are easy to improve, which negates their value, and that they only test one specific mode of thought (there are an infinite number of them; none more valuable than any others), the people who choose to JOIN these clubs, I find, are individuals who have self-esteem issues and seek out the companionship of like minded (close-minded!) people in order to comfort themselves. Understandable, but irritating nonetheless. That's a generalization and those tend to get me in trouble, so I'll save myself by saying that there ARE a rare few that can't be placed under the label of 'pseudo-intellectual'.

Anywho - I'm not picking apart grammar so it seems as though I win the argument, even though I'm not presenting anything substantial. I'm stating the simple fact (hehe - I've already layed down my hand because I've hinted that I believe in multiple truths, illuminating to all that I'm arguing for the sake of arguing, but I'll continue to do so, anyway!) that if you consume vast amounts of information, you WILL 'copy' the form in which it is presented to you and replicate it when it comes time for you to present your ideas to others. There's just no real way around it..

Lots of people on this board are smart - no doubt. At the same time, though, lots of people (usually the most adament supporters of the system) seem to be playing with a little less than a full deck, if you know what I mean.

Just looking for verification that the techniques work. I'm not devoting my time to something that doesn't work - too lazy.

To Sidis,

This is rather an interesting post!

"...I've scored high enough..."

"Scored" is a verb and "high" is an adjective. Didn't anyone ever tell you that you can't use an adjective to qualify a verb? You must use an adverb, so if you were as literate as you claim to be, your text should read, "...I've scored highly enough...". You obviously don't know the difference. What an embarrassing mistake!

"close-minded"?

Well, this seems to be a word of your own invention, probably intended as an antonym of the expression "open-minded". What you don't seem to realise is that "open" can be used as a past participle. For example, you can say, "The door is open", but you would say, "The door is closed", and not, "The door is close". Your phrase uses "close" with the meaning of, "near to" whereas I suspect that your intended meaning was something else. Never mind! Let's not split too many hairs!

"Anywho"

If you are going to quote somebody you really need to use inverted commas.

"layed"???

That's an interesting one, isn't it? Maybe you mean "laid". That is the past participle of the verb "to lay". It's not looking good so far, is it?

"adament"???

Surely you mean "adamant", don't you? Perhaps you are the one who needs to use "the ol' spell checker", as you put it!

I'm not going to pull your text apart at the levels of style, cohesion and coherence. I would, however, suggest that you think twice before you make snide remarks about someone else's use of English, especially as your own knowledge of fundamental grammar and spelling leaves so much to be desired!

[This message has been edited by GRAMMARIAN (edited September 29, 2001).]

#23186 09/29/01 06:00 PM

Attention Sidis, you have been owned.

-Quasi

#23187 09/29/01 08:29 PM
Sidis Offline OP
OP Offline

Grammarian: Tell me, how much time did you spend parsing my posts? Judging by the fact that you actually expended the effort to edit your post, I'd say more than I spent posting. That fact aside, I apologize for not proofreading what I wrote; I know how an adjective qualifying a verb can really distort the meaning of a sentence!

Note: In case it escaped you, 'close-minded' IS a word of my own invention, and, if read in context, you'll see the double (triple, if you're perceptive) meaning it can take on. Both adament and layed were honest mistakes due to the celerity with which I type.

razordu30: I may come across as arrogant, but, I assure you, it has more to do with my misanthropy and resentment than a profound belief in my abilities.

#23188 09/30/01 12:15 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Sidis:
Grammarian: Tell me, how much time did you spend parsing my posts? Judging by the fact that you actually expended the effort to edit your post, I'd say more than I spent posting. That fact aside, I apologize for not proofreading what I wrote; I know how an adjective qualifying a verb can really distort the meaning of a sentence!

Note: In case it escaped you, 'close-minded' IS a word of my own invention, and, if read in context, you'll see the double (triple, if you're perceptive) meaning it can take on. Both adament and layed were honest mistakes due to the celerity with which I type.

razordu30: I may come across as arrogant, but, I assure you, it has more to do with my misanthropy and resentment than a profound belief in my abilities.

sidis--
You miss the point Grammarian was trying to make. If you are more intellegent than the rest of us, you should not be making mistakes. But, this is my thought, you have proven you aren't an intellectual, just arrogant.

[This message has been edited by jonah (edited September 29, 2001).]

#23189 09/30/01 03:46 AM

Sidis: Because used to be very misanthropic and resentful to many things, mostly religion, I reread your post and read it in that context. While I still think the attack on Margaret or the accusations behind it were uncalled for, I will give you the benefit of the doubt in reference to your arrogance.

-Ramon
Former Misanthrope

#23190 09/30/01 11:28 AM

I agree with jonah!

It seems to me that what GRAMMARIAN is saying is that you have no right to make comments about Margaret's English when yours is so flawed, and he or she does have a very good point! I think that GRAMMARIAN's method of treating you the way you treated Margaret was a stroke of genius. Sorry if the truth hurts!

Well said GRAMMARIAN!

#23191 09/30/01 12:43 PM

This is quite an amusing thread!

Sidis, it looks like, when you started insulting people, you threw down the gauntlet (you probably prefer to say "layed" it down), but then you ended up getting stomped!

"If you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen!"

On a useful note, you may have heard that making mistakes is part of learning so maybe you should learn from yours!

#23192 10/01/01 11:07 PM

"Grammarian: Tell me, how much time did you spend parsing my posts? Judging by the fact that you actually expended the effort to edit your post, I'd say more than I spent posting. That fact aside, I apologize for not proofreading what I wrote; I know how an adjective qualifying a verb can really distort the meaning of a sentence!"

How long did you spend with your post making sure that there were no spelling errors in it? You still don't know when to use inverted commas, do you? Incidentally, I don't know how you managed to conclude that I examined more that one of your posts, as I extracted all of your mistakes from just one of them! I'm surprised that your razor-sharp intelligence didn't pick up on that! You're wrong again!

Despite the time you must have taken to write a reply to my post, you didn't realise that "to post" is a transitive verb (that means it requires a direct object)! I won't comment on the stylistic errors in that clause alone!

"Note: In case it escaped you, 'close-minded' IS a word of my own invention, and, if read in context, you'll see the double (triple, if you're perceptive) meaning it can take on. Both adament and layed were honest mistakes due to the celerity with which I type."

If you read my post again, you will see that it did not escape me. It is interesting that, as you mention perception here, you were not perceptive enough to see that!

It does not matter how long I took to write my post, or whether I chose to make an addition to it, the fact remains that you were wrong!

People tend to write the way they speak and think, therefore I think it highly unlikely that your mistake with the adjective was a mere typographical error. Furthermore, if you think that anyone is going to believe that writing "layed" instead of "laid" was also such and error, then I think you are mistaken there too! If living that lie makes you feel any better in dealing with the indequacies that you project onto others, then be my guest!

Do you ever get the feeling that you are not welcome on the forum? You may find that if you treat people with a little more respect instead of behaving like an obnoxious adolescent, you are more likely to get help and ideas from them. I get the feeling, however, that you think that you are superior to everybody else. If you were really intelliegent and at ease with yourself, then you wouldn't need your arrogance to see you through the day!

From your reply to my first post, it would seem that you missed the point entirely! So much for the high intelligence of which you boast so freely! You thought you were being so clever but ended up falling flat on your face! Nobody likes a smartarse, but everybody likes to see one get his, or her, comeuppance!

Goodbye!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved