Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#2547 01/30/01 02:30 PM
OP Offline

Has anyone else caught the faux pas in the radio ad for "Million Dollar Vocabulary". It would seem to me if one was selling a vocabulary improvement package, it would at least be grammatically correct!
"...more quickly..." should read
"...quicker...", n'est pas?
Perhaps this point is moot because the ad is aimed at semi-illiterate individuals who never took the time to pay attention to lessons taught. Or am I a dying breed that cares about the way we speak?

#2548 01/30/01 08:59 PM

Mistakes are inevitable everywhere; they are a major part of the process of life.

It's what one does w/ them that determines foundation elements of life such as character. The end of education is character according to my teacher.

#2549 01/31/01 01:27 AM

It's easy to find fault with most anything in life. It's much harder to find the postive aspects that also lie within. In general, society is negative. Perhaps you should consider crawling out of the mud and re-evaluate your world view. It's definately worth the anxiety that might be caused by worrying over what is sometimes considered "true" or "realistic." These things simply don't exist. It is really the illusion of reality that you feel attached to. So there is no reason not to have a positive illusion rather than a negative one, no?

Obviously you got some modicum of joy from pointing out a minor flaw in LSC's otherwise well-polished programs. Aren't you special? If you were to base all your desicions on what to buy solely on the grammer used in advertisements, I would have to say quite fairl that you will die a very wealthy man.

BTW, english is an evolving language. Things change, deal with it.

[This message has been edited by Tim_with_a_T (edited January 30, 2001).]

#2550 01/31/01 02:52 AM
Learning Strategies
Learning Strategies

Hmm...

#2551 01/31/01 04:12 PM

It ain't the words we are talking about.

#2552 01/31/01 04:49 PM
OP Offline

WOW. Did I ruffle some feathers, or what? Thanks to all who replied. It only helps to enforce my belief that most of you have missed the point completely. And thank you for confirming my point about the mistake in the ad. It's the acceptance of such errors that is directing our society in a constant downward spiral. Apparently, some of you have been sucked in to that vortex. You have my sympathy.

#2553 02/01/01 06:58 AM

Mississauga,
I cannot speak for everyone who replied, but based on what was said it seems to me that we are questioning why it is so important for you to bash the radio ad. Even after reading everyone's replies you still don't see your own anger and hostility. Have you ever used any products from Learning Strategies?? If you had then you would know that their products are of the upmost quality, and therefore bashing their ad seems silly. Why is it so important for you to make your point about this?? Ok, so maybe the ad was grammatically incorrect, so what?? You obviously have some issues you need to deal with. One ad isn't a representation of our society going into a downward spiral. Really, it isn't. The bigger issue here is why you would take the time to come on this forum and unfairly and viciously attack the ad. These are my two cents, and I apologize in advance if I have misspelled any words. We wouldn't want you to get upset again.

#2554 01/31/01 07:38 PM

To be fair:
I think pointing out a grammatical error is fine. That can be constructive, especially if the message is being heard by thousands of potential customers. If I were Pete, I'd want to know.

Also, proper grammar IS important in non-colloquial settings. Whether we like it or not, people judge us by the way we speak, the words we use. Sure.

HOWEVER, referring to LSC's customers as 'semi-illiterate' is... well, offensive to say the least!! (as well as wholly inaccurate)

#2555 01/31/01 08:52 PM

Brian,
Point well taken

quote:
Originally posted by Brian649:

[b]HOWEVER
, referring to LSC's customers as 'semi-illiterate' is... well, offensive to say the least!! (as well as wholly inaccurate)[/B]

Mississauga,

WOW........read my post....my feathers were not ruffled.......and they still aren't.

Please take Susan's & Brian's posts to heart. This is the most, i mean a MOST, open-minded & open-hearted DF. The people here are really into helping others achieve their potential. And, guess what, when people do, they are congratulated.

Peace

#2556 01/31/01 08:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mississauga:
It only helps to enforce my belief that most of you have missed the point completely.

You had a point?

Oops, my mistake. I'm terribly sorry if I caused you any vexation. But seriously, what more would you expect from an ignorant, semi-illiterate fool that can not respect the genius that is so pronounced in your dying breed?

I am truly, deeply sorry for any degoratory remarks aimed at your person.

And I graciously accept your sympathy. You are much too kind.

A thousand pardons.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Wendy_Greer 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved