Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#2547 01/30/01 02:30 PM
OP Offline

Has anyone else caught the faux pas in the radio ad for "Million Dollar Vocabulary". It would seem to me if one was selling a vocabulary improvement package, it would at least be grammatically correct!
"...more quickly..." should read
"...quicker...", n'est pas?
Perhaps this point is moot because the ad is aimed at semi-illiterate individuals who never took the time to pay attention to lessons taught. Or am I a dying breed that cares about the way we speak?

#2548 01/30/01 08:59 PM

Mistakes are inevitable everywhere; they are a major part of the process of life.

It's what one does w/ them that determines foundation elements of life such as character. The end of education is character according to my teacher.

#2549 01/31/01 01:27 AM

It's easy to find fault with most anything in life. It's much harder to find the postive aspects that also lie within. In general, society is negative. Perhaps you should consider crawling out of the mud and re-evaluate your world view. It's definately worth the anxiety that might be caused by worrying over what is sometimes considered "true" or "realistic." These things simply don't exist. It is really the illusion of reality that you feel attached to. So there is no reason not to have a positive illusion rather than a negative one, no?

Obviously you got some modicum of joy from pointing out a minor flaw in LSC's otherwise well-polished programs. Aren't you special? If you were to base all your desicions on what to buy solely on the grammer used in advertisements, I would have to say quite fairl that you will die a very wealthy man.

BTW, english is an evolving language. Things change, deal with it.

[This message has been edited by Tim_with_a_T (edited January 30, 2001).]

#2550 01/31/01 02:52 AM
Learning Strategies
Learning Strategies

Hmm...

#2551 01/31/01 04:12 PM

It ain't the words we are talking about.

#2552 01/31/01 04:49 PM
OP Offline

WOW. Did I ruffle some feathers, or what? Thanks to all who replied. It only helps to enforce my belief that most of you have missed the point completely. And thank you for confirming my point about the mistake in the ad. It's the acceptance of such errors that is directing our society in a constant downward spiral. Apparently, some of you have been sucked in to that vortex. You have my sympathy.

#2553 02/01/01 06:58 AM

Mississauga,
I cannot speak for everyone who replied, but based on what was said it seems to me that we are questioning why it is so important for you to bash the radio ad. Even after reading everyone's replies you still don't see your own anger and hostility. Have you ever used any products from Learning Strategies?? If you had then you would know that their products are of the upmost quality, and therefore bashing their ad seems silly. Why is it so important for you to make your point about this?? Ok, so maybe the ad was grammatically incorrect, so what?? You obviously have some issues you need to deal with. One ad isn't a representation of our society going into a downward spiral. Really, it isn't. The bigger issue here is why you would take the time to come on this forum and unfairly and viciously attack the ad. These are my two cents, and I apologize in advance if I have misspelled any words. We wouldn't want you to get upset again.

#2554 01/31/01 07:38 PM

To be fair:
I think pointing out a grammatical error is fine. That can be constructive, especially if the message is being heard by thousands of potential customers. If I were Pete, I'd want to know.

Also, proper grammar IS important in non-colloquial settings. Whether we like it or not, people judge us by the way we speak, the words we use. Sure.

HOWEVER, referring to LSC's customers as 'semi-illiterate' is... well, offensive to say the least!! (as well as wholly inaccurate)

#2555 01/31/01 08:52 PM

Brian,
Point well taken

quote:
Originally posted by Brian649:

[b]HOWEVER
, referring to LSC's customers as 'semi-illiterate' is... well, offensive to say the least!! (as well as wholly inaccurate)[/B]

Mississauga,

WOW........read my post....my feathers were not ruffled.......and they still aren't.

Please take Susan's & Brian's posts to heart. This is the most, i mean a MOST, open-minded & open-hearted DF. The people here are really into helping others achieve their potential. And, guess what, when people do, they are congratulated.

Peace

#2556 01/31/01 08:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mississauga:
It only helps to enforce my belief that most of you have missed the point completely.

You had a point?

Oops, my mistake. I'm terribly sorry if I caused you any vexation. But seriously, what more would you expect from an ignorant, semi-illiterate fool that can not respect the genius that is so pronounced in your dying breed?

I am truly, deeply sorry for any degoratory remarks aimed at your person.

And I graciously accept your sympathy. You are much too kind.

A thousand pardons.

#2557 01/31/01 09:06 PM
Dee Offline

Hello,
I was looking through your sight and came across this chat forum. I was interested in becoming a member, that's how I ended up here. I think Mississauga made a good point. After all, isn't the purpose of joining to improve yourself?? Mine is! So, if the company don't care to advertize the write way than why join???

Just my too sence.....

#2558 01/31/01 09:34 PM

Dee,
Is your use of "sence" a joke? I didn't see a after it. If it's a mistake then please understand that mistakes are inevitable.

PSYCHOLOGY: !!! Uh-Oh !!! The expectation that the government should be perfect, the corporations should not make mistakes, that all the ambulances should show up pronto is just a projection of our PARENTAL expectations onto society. Any time you want someone to be perfect, which is really impossible, you are projecting your parental expectations.

Real life is filled w/ protection & nourishment, but it is also filled w/ abandonment & betrayal. The very body that helps us thru << life is the same body that will abandon us in death.

Jung pointed out: It is important not to seek perfection. It is important to see wholeness. The trigger word for wholeness today is, centered.

ALL of LS products do help us to get centered b/c their products deal w/ the integration of the Left & the Right sides of the b-r-a-i-n.

Good luck to us all

quote:
Originally posted by Dee:

Just my too sence.....

#2559 01/31/01 10:10 PM

Dee, I hate to discredit your existence, but you wouldn't happen to have an alter-ego?

I notice that the "Location:" in your profile is that of "Mississaugua ON Canada".

I wonder if you and Mississauga are friends? I further wonder if the two of you share the same IP address... or the same computer, or the same pair of hands, even.

Not bad for an illiterate SOB!

haha

#2560 02/01/01 12:32 AM

Good observation, Brian.

I think I can speak for the rest of us when I say that a purposeful deception is many times more degrading than any minor grammactical mistake.

Again, I suggest you consider a re-evaluation of your world views, and while you're at it, factor in values as well.

[This message has been edited by Tim_with_a_T (edited January 31, 2001).]

#2561 02/01/01 03:35 AM

How very cool......if you just look at Brian's thing & do a soft gaze, you can see both tongues pop out.

A very worthwhile eye exercise for soft gazing!

#2562 02/01/01 03:37 AM

Correction: Tim's

#2563 02/01/01 02:36 PM
Learning Strategies
Learning Strategies

Two items:

1) I welcome corrections. We do not always use proper grammar. When folks point out problems, we will make an effort to correct the piece.

The ad in question was created by one of our distributors and approved by us. At this point, they may or may not make the change.

2) And for those who do not understand the hubbub, read the note from one of our editors:

Quick, quicker, quickest is correct.

We have two forms of comparatives--more/most and -er/-est.

Most adjectives and adverbs of one syllable form their comparative and superlative degrees by adding -er and -est.

Some adjectives and adverbs of two syllables use -er/-est and some use more/most. Check the dictionary to be sure.

Adjectives of more than two syllables and adverbs ending in -ly usually form their comparative and superlative degrees by more/most.

The logic is that a word that's already long is too long for comfortable articulation when it's burdened with another syllable.

#2564 02/01/01 08:39 PM

I like cookies.

#2565 02/01/01 09:01 PM
OP Offline

But, "more quickly"? That was my point.
As for the posting by "DEE", perhaps the persons commenting are unaware that I am on a DSL shared connection. A discussion ensued in my office complex in regards to the radio ad error and, obviously, "DEE" took it upon themselves to provide their input. I do not share the opinions of others that may comment on my original posting. Nor was I impressed by the post.
My final comment is this; if it were my money paying for expensive advertising, I would either check the ad and it's related copy prior to airing OR present the possibilty of remuneration from those outside my company that may have caused the error.
Thank you all for your comments.

#2566 02/01/01 11:42 PM

Why can't we all just get along?

#2567 02/01/01 11:49 PM
Learning Strategies
Learning Strategies

I'd redo the ad if I were paying for it. And maybe the distributor who pays for it might. But life is too short to get into a tizzy over it. Time for a beer.

#2568 02/02/01 12:29 AM

I'm assuming this person is a woman. It's taken me a long time to identify this aspect in myself. When women get out of touch w/ their feelings, we tend to turn into generalizing you-know-whats. I was forced to learn about myself b/c i am the only woman where i work. I'd go ranting & raving about something i though was just terrible &, guess what, all the men would look at me like i was crazy. And, this would only make me more determined. The guys are the same, but i am different.

I don't drink beer, but that's pretty much the kind of look i often received, Pete.

quote:
Originally posted by Pete Bissonette:
I'd redo the ad if I were paying for it. And maybe the distributor who pays for it might. But life is too short to get into a tizzy over it. Time for a beer.

#2569 02/02/01 02:57 AM

You drink, Pete? For some reason I was thinking that people who have real control over their minds and their lives wouldn't need such base means to alter their states. In writing this, I really have to say that you were just joking, because it just doesn't fit. Then again, beer is an American past time, so I might be wrong.

#2570 02/02/01 04:56 AM

But life is too short to get into a tizzy over it. Time for a beer.

LOL! Had a good laugh over that one.
Pete, are you contributing to the delinquency of a minor? ..just kidding

For some reason I was thinking that people who have real control over their minds and their lives wouldn't need such base means to alter their states.

The founder of my Tai Chi lineage was an alcoholic! Yet he was also a Master in four arts: Tai Chi, Painting, Poetry, and Calligraphy. That is, ‘master’ as in the pinnacle of specialty that comes with many decades. He was also a senator in the old Chinese government before being exiled to Taiwan, and a renown Confucian university professor.

Also, Alan Watts, the man who helped bring knowledge of Taoism and Zen and Buddhism in a palatable form to the United States in the 60’s, was also an alcoholic and into psychedelic drugs. ..the most articulate man I know of! I respect these two men’s lives more than any others.

Not that I’m condoning alcoholism!! Just pointing out two great men.. Enlightened Men, no less, who were alcoholics. Seeming contradictions.

Actually, I bet if you conducted research on the subject, you’d find a high correlation between *recreational* drinking and ‘true happiness’. It kills mind chatter, stifles fears, and induces a feeling of well-being. All good things? “Yes, but it also does x, y, z.” True. True. But isn’t it worth it to sacrifice a smidgeon of health for that much more happiness?

Then again, beer is an American past time, so I might be wrong.

Alcohol is more the pastime of humanity!

I think the view which you are expressing is a puritanical remnant. I put that right in there with puritan sexual beliefs, which still affect our culture. Perhaps the only thing that makes drinking 'bad' is the ancient taboo? In most every other country in the universe, alcohol is taken for a normal part of life and thus abuse is much less. I’m surprised you hold this view, having spent so much time in other countries, where doubtless the drinking age was 12 if at all. Actually, I held your exact view until taking a trip to Italy when I was 14, which opened my mind rather like a cosmic can-opener.

I realize that all this can be quite shocking to realize.

Even Yale is much like every other college on the weekends!

Hallucinogenic drugs on the other hand... Man oh man, I remember at a potluck dinner with many senior students and a couple instructors from tai chi class. The topic turned to the 60's, and they all started to share psychedelic drug experiences!!! 'WOAH'. That crumpled my perception of them for a time. I was definitely not prepared to hear that!

Here is an article by Alan Watts on the noblest uses of drugs: http://www.erowid.org/entheogens/journals/entheogens_journal4.shtml Let me say that I do not subscribe to drug use. And the illegality of drugs has nothing to do with that. It’s the horrendous and permanent mental damage that concerns me.

Though, here’s a thought: Psychedelic drugs essentially induce a waking theta state. Waking dreams. It would be quite interesting indeed for a Master PhotoReader to experiment with say LSD after photoreading… I wonder how that would compare to the Lucid Dreaming adventures Pete has described?

#2571 02/03/01 06:19 AM

Tim, I thought it was pretty harsh what you said about Pete. He said it was time for A beer, not that he was picking up a keg. Having A beer has nothing to do with self discipline(unless you're a recovering alcoholic). A small amount of alcohol in your system is known to optimize performance, not to mention beer was invented by monks. And not everybody drinks beer to get drunk, believe it or not, some people drink it for the taste.

If you were joking, I'm sorry for this reply. But I think those were some ill-conceived and ignorant statements.

[This message has been edited by NiJuIchi (edited February 02, 2001).]

#2572 02/03/01 06:45 AM

beer was invented by monks.

really? I always thought it was invented by a mesopatamian culture.. the Sumerians was it? around 3000BC? I don't know any details. Supposedly, the reason why men settled down to specific plots to farm the land was 'just so' they could grow grain to ferment to make.. BEER!!!!! Wow, how much civilization owes to the brew! Actually, I heard this at an Anheiser-Busch theme park, so not sure how reliable that is!
(They also said that the oldest written recipe in the world was a recipe for beer.)

Anyone aware of beer's origins?

#2573 02/02/01 08:47 PM

Sorry, I guess I came across differently than I would have liked. What I meant to say was that alchol kills brain cells. What I meant to say was that more money is spent on alchol in the United States than on the Defense Budget. What I meant to say was that car accidents are the number one killer in America, and the vast majority of those involve alchol. What I meant to say was that if one has control over one's mind, then all the benefits of alchol, and yes, there are many, can be had just as easily without destroying lives.

I, unforunatly, am not in the position to have the level of control over my mind and my life to get those same benefits that alchol offers without such a catalyst. So I can not understand why someone would go out of their way, spend hard earned money, and literally hurt themselves to receive both the positive and negative results, when they have in their power the ability to achieve only the positive affects. It just does not make sense to me.

I can not help but reiterate the point that I am not one of these self-mastered individuals, and that in my mind drinking does serve a positive purpose, but it does result, on a whole, to a more chaotic society.

If you really like the taste that much, buy alchol-free beer. Personally, I can't stand the stuff.

And yes, Brian, I do have an alternate perspective of drinking than do most of my countrymen because of my over-seas experience. And what I have seen speaks very little for the way Americans treat themselves.

Alchol is a depressant, so chemically it reduces your energies, and allows you to forget about your troubles. I don't think forgetting about your troubles are going to make them go away, and less energy takes away from your ability to change your life for the better.

I know I'm going to step on some toes saying what I am saying, but this culture just has this escapism complex, be it alchol, or television, or work, we just need to stop putting off our lives and actually live them.

Hell, if a sip of beer makes you feel better about yourself, go ahead and do it. If you know where to draw the line, then I applaud you.

Here's a couple of questions for you: if we are all looking to improve our lives, especially through learning, is alchol the best way to achieve that? If not, then does it hinder us?

I know I'm not being too PC here, so if you're offended, I appoligize. I mean no disrespect to any of you, especially Pete.

#2574 02/02/01 09:37 PM

To all you guys:

I am so very impressed w/ your levels of tolerance & knowledge. This is really such an interesting DF.

#2575 02/02/01 09:48 PM

I know that a beer recipee was found on a clay tablet that dated back to the time that Egypt ruled the world. I don't remeber the theoretical date that was cited in the article of the tablet other than it was BC. Someone did try the recipee a few years ago and reported the beer tasted pretty good.

I used to home brew beer for the taste of the product. Home brewing provides microbrew quality at Budweiser cost. I don't know of any non-alcoholic beer that tastes anything like a good microbrew. Non-alcoholic beers are limited to just a few brands (I think less than 5) and mostly taste like Bud Light. Bud Light, in my opinion and tastes, is no more flavorful than water and not worth my time drinking. I dont drink much beer but I do like to relax and enjoy the taste on occasion.

As with everything, I think the key concept here is moderation. This seems to be lacking in many areas of our culture. Just my two cents .

#2576 02/02/01 10:10 PM

Tim, I could totally envision myself writing what you just wrote five years ago!

we just need to stop putting off our lives and actually live them.

I half agree. If alcohol is taken to run away-->bad, obviously.

If alcohol is taken to ‘enhance’ a social experience, then you are not ‘putting off your life’, you are engaging fully in the here and now. 100% in the moment, 100% unself-consciousness, focusing entirely and utterly on a conversation, for instance. How much greater is the focus! How much greater is laughter! How much more sincere are the emotions! Further, I happen to have great contempt for the ‘reasoning conscious mind’. Slight alcohol shuts that down just enough so that a primitive flow state ensues accompanied by pleasant sensations. Not only that, but is it desirable to ‘always’ be out there either improving yourself or changing the world? Break time is good time! ...to an extent. But to what extent?

this culture just has this escapism complex, be it alcohol, or television

The answer to the question of ‘moderation’ or ‘balance’ had eluded me for some time. Specifically, with television, sex, alcohol, computers, and a even self-improvement addiction. Do these activities have any redeeming qualities?—are they wholly evil? Of course not. When do the benefits of these five things outweigh the detriments? THAT is the question.

if we are all looking to improve our lives,

What does this mean to you? Learning and Mind stuff and accomplishing great things... all well and right and good. But emotional health and social connection are JUST as vital to leading the good life!

especially through learning, is alchol the best way to achieve that? If not, then does it hinder us?

Let me ask you this then... ready?

Hypothetically. Say someone offers you a drug that would make you a veritable genius...a Master PhotoReader. The drug, however, has some side effects. Those side effects are EQUIVALENT to drinking one or two beers a day in brain/liver damage.

Do you take it?

My answer? Pragmatism in all things.

Do the benefits outweigh the detriments?
(or as Paul says, ‘will this ultimately bring me greater peace?’)

Tim, I think what you say jives well with both your age and your idealism. In time though, I think you can expect that rigid belief to almost certainly fade into something slightly more moderate.

as they say... "cheers!"
Brian

[This message has been edited by Brian649 (edited February 02, 2001).]

#2577 02/02/01 11:03 PM

For the past days, I’ve been ill, so I couldn’t participate in this discussion. I would like to add something to the initial posting and the first follow-ups:

Stay Centered

Stay Calm

Stay Relaxed

There is no failure, only feedback

What happended to those principles during this first postings?

Intuition

Intuition is a great thing, but analysing the mental and emotional make-up of a person just by just one or twoe questions/remarks? A bold claim.

Politeness

I am a satisfied customer of Learning Strategies Corporation and I really appreciate the loyalty displayed here to LSC. But I really wonder if this loyalty just got a bit out of control? A bit too personal, perhaps?

And, by the way, not every joke, every irony needs a smilie to get it and a smilie does not alway take away the sting of sentence.

Jens

#2578 02/03/01 02:35 AM

Jens, come on, he called us semi-illiterate! That's below the belt. But you do have a point, I know I went a little far...it was fun though...I'm a bad person. Jk, I won't do that again.

Hypothetically. Say someone offers you a drug that would make you a veritable genius...a Master PhotoReader. The drug, however, has some side effects. Those side effects are EQUIVALENT to drinking one or two beers a day in brain/liver damage. Do you take it?

My answer would be no... if I could accomplish the same level of genius in the much the same period of time, without all the side-effects.

My answer would be yes if I did not have the control over such aspects of my mind. Just as I might take a drink of alochol every now and again, I would take that pill. But only because I could not produce the same result in a healthier, more efficient manner.

Tim, I think what you say jives well with both your age and your idealism. In time though, I think you can expect that rigid belief to almost certainly fade into something slightly more moderate.

I am not this rigid, I am only saying that if I could have the control of my mind and body that some masters claim to have, I would see no need for alcohol in my life. With such skills, I could choose, just as I would choose to pick up a glass of beer, to change my state, and *bingo*, social barriers fall to the waistside, shame and fear cease to exist. Come to think of it, with some of the strategies in Tony Robbin's Awaken the Gaint Within, I could see this skill being pretty easy to learn. ...hummmm, interesting....

#2579 02/03/01 04:13 AM
OP Offline

Bravo, Jens! I believe you have taken the time to "read between the lines". I tip my hat to you, fellow thinker.

#2580 02/03/01 05:32 AM

My answer would be no... if I could accomplish the same level of genius in the much the same period of time, without all the side-effects.

Funny you should say this... Today I graduated from the brainwave generator to Cool Edit Pro... I'm like a kid in a candy store, making my own mixes. So many options and attributes to tweak and test! The waveforms are so so so much more powerful. I've been playing with them for hours and I feel quite euphoric at this moment with all of the serotonin and endorphin stimulation. I'm thinking your very same thoughts... if I can enter any state of consciousness at will (or at least with the press of a button)... who needs drugs or anything like that! It's amazing, truly, what binaural sound can do.

And Miss Agua, please end this. I usually strive to be as diplomatic as possible, but this issue is just soooOOOO amazingly, incredibly trivial.

#2581 02/03/01 01:43 PM
Learning Strategies
Learning Strategies

Beer? I actually squeezed a grapefruit and a half of a lime--great concoction. "Time for a beer" just seemed like the thing to say.

#2582 02/03/01 04:03 PM

I actually squeezed a grapefruit and a half of a lime--great concoction.

Why? (That's an incredibly alkaline combo.) What do you notice when you drink it? (Mindpower?)

#2583 02/03/01 05:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Pete Bissonette:
Beer? I actually squeezed a grapefruit and a half of a lime--great concoction.

That's sounds really good. If only I had a lime. And I guess a grapefurit would help as well....

#2584 02/03/01 05:57 PM

Actually, straight lemon juice is just as good as lime and both are better than grapefruit (for alkizing purposes).

#2585 02/04/01 04:31 AM

Well, I don't know about that.

Let me explain. In Brazil, whenever you order a coke they ask you you want a lime, and I tell you, it makes a whole of difference. So now that I'm back in the states, I always ask for a lime in my coke, and I get a lot of strange looks. I could care less about the looks, but when they bring me a lemon instead of a lime, I'm very disappointed. Lemons and limes taste completely different. Oh, I failed to mention the fact that they don't really have lemons in Brazil. Limes are pronounced "lemon" and are a greenish-yellow. Somewhat sweeter than American limes. Good stuff... good stuff....

#2586 02/04/01 04:48 AM

in terms of pH...
I was in Croatia this summer (vacationing no less) and too was conditioned to lemons.. lemons with everything including coke. gotta love the cafe culture

[This message has been edited by Brian649 (edited February 03, 2001).]

#2587 02/05/01 01:01 PM

What an interesting thread. A contributor gets lambasted for being a little too vigilant of a grammer enforcer and then some of those very same people launch into a tirade over an innocent statement like, "Have a beer" Yes, we all have our peeves and who knows why one thing bothers us so much and another doesn't. I think maybe we all need a beer (just one), except possibly Jen. I loved her post.

Cheers, Harry

#2588 02/05/01 02:23 PM

What an interesting thread.

Yeah, come to think of it.. weird topic. lots of unusual twists and turns.

..amazing 'how way leads on to way' to coin a phrase.

We're just having fun... (or at least I am.)

#2589 02/06/01 12:41 PM
Learning Strategies
Learning Strategies

Grapefruit and lime. One reason. Taste!

I haven't had one since then. Might have another now.

Back when I use to drink Coke--pre-1988--I preferred it with lime. Lime is good with so many things.

#2590 02/06/01 04:03 PM

Hi Harry, this is "Jen".

Well, I love to get in contact with my female side, but the name is actually "Jens".
(It stems from Johannes, one of the guys who wrote down the new testament.)

And, by the way, I HATE beer (untipically for a German, I know). If it has to be alcohol, only on social events of course, I prefer a nice cocktail or long drink.

Adding another twist,

Jens

#2591 02/06/01 04:20 PM

Jens,

I knew your advice was too good to be a woman's. Can I say that if I put a smilie after it?

Best, Harry

#2592 02/07/01 04:51 PM

quote:
I knew your advice was too good to be a woman's. Can I say that if I put a smilie after it?

Wisely, I choose not to answer this one...

#2593 02/08/01 12:14 AM

"How many roads must a man walk down before you can call him a man...?"

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Wendy_Greer 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved