Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2

In reference to the "What if everything's important?" question:

This is pretty limited, because with multiple activations you'll see more and more stuff.

But with things like English and literature, where the plot is only HALF as important (if not less) as HOW the book is written, it's most definately a predicament. For example, you won't see that many literary critics talk about what happened in Shakespeare's plays as far as a plot summary goes. But they WILL spend page upon page about why he used this word instead of that, or that phrase instead of this, and like hundreds of different meanings for certain metaphors.

For things like that, I use rapid reading. I know a lot of people will complain that this is just as good as speedreading, but it's not true. Rapid reading makes much more sense (I've taken both Speedreading and Photoreading) and you will go faster because it's stored subconsciously. Speedreading is like using cruise control, driving at 60 mph over land that goes: highway, local, desert, ice, snow, rain. No matter what, keep going at the same pace, and don't slow down. Rapid reading goes 120 mph on the areas as flat as Salt Lake, and goes 35 mph when it's raining. In a book like Lord of the Rings for example, you'll go REALLY fast over the introduction where he talks about what a hobbit is, and pretty slow on the battle scene, while if you speedread, you'll just go fast through both, meaning you won't get half of Tolkien's THICK THICK THICK battle descriptions (if you were going with context instead of plot).

Hope that helps. In summary: I use rapid reading for books that you must know everything, (still finishing in half the time), but that situation doesn't come up that much...most things you will read can be super read and dipped. I didn't believe that with philosophy, and sure enough, you can if you just try it.

To take advantage of the speed of photoreading when time isn't a big factor, activate the material repeatedly until the amount of time you spend on it is equal to about how much time it would have taken you to to read it normally once. You will have that sucker down COLD. If I activated the same novel for 10 hours...geez...I can't even imagine how thoroughly I'd understand that book.

-Ramon http://razor.ramon.com

Thank you very much for both youngprer and Ramon.

yougprer ,
so what i get as a beginner is feeling and some sorts of complex intutive signal , right?

Ramon,
It seems that you can rapidread very quickly...why? is it because your reason ? (diffrent speed for different scene) or is it because the effect from the photoreading step? if it's the latter , what's the effect? Do you find the text look familiar to you while rapidread even though you didn't read it at all but photoread it?

You said in one post that without the photoreading step , you feel completely lost in the detail... How's that feeling? I'm sorry but i don't dare to try it myself Can you explian to me what did you get from photoreading step so that i can expect some of those and trust more and more in the system? ...

Thanks.

It's the photoreading step.

Just like you said, you get the feeling that you've read it already. You start reading a sentence, and you say to yourself, "I'm pretty sure I know what this is about, how it ends, what he's getting at," and you turn out right. I just had to read this book on Freud, and while the narrator stated each case, halfway into the passage I knew more or less how it would end, what the problem was. Like there was some girl who was reasonably bright but got very disturbed all of a sudden. I was like, "I have a feeling this has something to do with her mother leaving her," and it was. Stuff like that.

When I don't PR before I try to activate, I don't get that feeling. At first I debated whether or not that feeling was psychosomatic, and I got that feeling that I was lot because I knew I didn't PR it. Fortunately, I got to test that theory by accident: I was activating this book, and I was like, "Why am I going so slow...why does it feel like I have no sense of familiarty with this book?" I eventually stopped and tried PRing it again, and that changed everything. I remembered later that I was supposed to have PR'ed it that morning so I could activate it later, but didn't get a chance to because I woke up late. The whole morning was rushed, so it totally slipped my mind until I had to think about it later. Sure enough, I didn't PR that book.

Rapid reading speed varies with content, though. I just rapid read two different books, and one was VERY dense (it was about contract law and philosophy thereof) and I was almost regular reading it at some points (it was very dry, dense, and verbose, and to be honest, as I read it I became more and more cynical about why I had to read it - "there's no point to this book" kind of feeling). The book on Freud, however, was in an easy flowing structure, and I went through it at a decent speed (about 30 pages in 15 or 20 minutes, but this is of course rapid reading, and I took a phonecall in the middle of it, so I'm not incredibly sure of the time span, so I'm estimating conservatively - it could have been less).

Don't forget NOPS, so right now I'm thinking, "When I go back to the book on contract law, I'll notice when I get that feeling of annoyance, and the approach I'll use is overexagerrate how annoyed I am - this will make an imprint in my head how much this feeling affects my reading, and to try to let it go for next time. Perhaps this will at least make me stop questioning it and stuff.

Play with it =)

Ramon,

WOW!! Are you an exceptional or just a norm? Dana said that very little if any of the text will look familiar when we first rapidread or superread it. Is you feeling like you've read those books word-by-word recently? I'm very interested and very frustrated too

Did you get that amazing feeling at the 3rd book (the first one you said you has AHA feeling) or it's your recent progress?

thanks.

quote:
Originally posted by theerapun:
yougprer ,
so what i get as a beginner is feeling and some sorts of complex intutive signal , right?

Eeehhh, ask LSC, or Paul about that. I don't know what you're talkin' about. All I did was copy that from the book. :P

The feeling I get would be similar to when you're in a car with someone and you recognize the area even though the last time you were there was a long time ago. You would be lost if you tried to go anywhere, but it's still "familiar".

But you still get that feeling like you know what's going to happen a little bit...not plotwise, just what they're trying to say immediately. If you were reading Jurassic Park, you wouldn't know how the book ends, but the way I feel, I would know that when Ian starts going on about chaos theory and starts talking to the female doctor, I already get the feeling that he's going to flirt with her, and that Sam Neil's character would be a little jealous, know what I mean?

Hope that helps.

Thanks youngprer. i still appreciate your effort of copying that info from the books :P

Ramon,
Thanks a lot. I understand what you were trying to tell me. Is it like deja-vu? My question is 'am i supposed to have the same feeling while activating?'? What should i get while activating? I thought i undersood it but after reading your post , i became confused a little bit :-(
Also , when you activate those novels without rapidreading... will you have info which you didn't dip into popping in your concious mind?

I don't know if you're necessarily supposed to, and I do get it. But to be honest, sometimes I don't get it as much when the material is really dense.

What's really weird is sometimes I just don't give myself enough time to let it incubate. When I went back to the Philosophy and Law book, it was easier because it had been incubating for a couple hours longer. When I went back to this Freud book, I was SR&D much better after a couple hours rather than the 20 min.

Don't forget though - the "hunches" you get to dip or the "hunches" you get while rapid reading can vary between people. For me, while rapid reading, I feel like it's deja vu. For someone else, it could feel totally different, so you might still be on the right track.

Sorry to confuse =)

Thanks a lot Ramon.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved