Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#26683 03/07/02 07:59 PM
OP Offline

John, not making fun of you in any way, but I decided I had to share this anecdote, since it seems along the same plane:

My uncle is in the Church of Scientology. Now, I don't know if scientology itself is a decent concept with certain aspects being innovative or if they stole concepts from other religions, or whatever. I *will* say that the Church, meaning I guess the infrastructure, is one STEAMING load. I won't get into the argument of whether a lot of religions are like that (their churches being corrupt) or not, I'm saying that the Church of Scientology (the structure, not the concepts, now) is a big pile of poop. I'd rather not get into specifics, but lets say they've destroyed my uncle's life just as much as any cult could have (I will allow that it could be a *local* problem, though I highly doubt it, and even if so, it still on the weight of the church to explain).

That off my chest, here's the anecdote:

My uncle was arguing with another guy from his church (scientology) about God knows what, probably about some Hubbard book. The argument grows, and the people in the room (including me) were getting steadily uneasy.

Then my uncle says, "THAT'S IT! YOU WANNA SETTLE THIS, WE'LL SETTLE THIS! YOU GET YOUR MASTER TO TEACH YOU TO LEAVE YOUR BODY, I'LL LEAVE MINE, AND I'LL MEET YOU ANY TIME ANY PLACE, AND WE'LL SETTLE THIS!"

That was one of the scarrier yet funnier moments I've ever witnessed in my life.

I'm sorry if I've insulted any members of Scientology. I think your religion has interesting concepts, like I said, but the actual church is incredibly cultish.

-Ramon http://razor.ramon.com

#26684 03/07/02 08:19 PM
OP Offline

Oh, and thanks for the links, John! I'll definately check them out. I've always loved the book Johnathon Livingston Seagull, and transcendentalism seems to go with astral projection, so yeah, I'm interested.

#26685 03/07/02 08:47 PM
Hel Offline

Very interesting, John. Thanks.

Great story, Ramon. Did anything happen afterwards? Quite a number of countries here in Europe find the Church of Scientology problematic, no, it's not local.

#26686 03/07/02 09:22 PM
OP Offline

The end of the story was anticlimactic: my aunt (who was getting more embarassed as each minute went on prior to the threat) heard my uncle yelling, went into the room and did one of those nervous laughs, tried to change the subject, and we all just kind of nervously futzed around for awhile until we went home.

It was one of those times you laugh in retrospect, but didn't even breath when it actually happened.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved