Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#2736 02/12/02 01:52 AM

Hi again Brian,

Talking about subjective, it is probably possible to achieve no internal representations for a while. But it's not ideal, and you would not be able to achieve it for very long, without being unproductive.

If you see a pen on your desk and you pick it up to write, you've told yourself to pick it up whether you like it or not. This telling yourself something is an internal representation.

States are formed by two things physiology and internal representations. Behavior flows from states. Without beliefs, values, opinions, ideas, etc you would not be "liberated" you would be a zombi.

Paul Scheele suggests you listen to the still, small voice within, this is an internal representation. If all we had was our preconscious processors, without anything else we would also be zombies.

I would say Brian, to give Tom a better state to work from is to listen more closely to what you are saying to yourself, feeling, seeing in your mind, unless you want Tom to turn out to be a zombi.

I found that in order to do this you have to be a quiet listener, you have to listen to yourself. If nothing comes up, well then you've got to improve your listening to yourself.

Good luck Brian.

[This message has been edited by Grant (edited February 11, 2002).]

#2737 02/12/02 03:30 AM

Can you make a decision without your conscious mind, you can, but it will be more of the same. I think that if you want something different in your life it has to be a conscious decision. What do you think, Brian?

I tend to think that the reality is the exact opposite.

This dude Alan Watts said, "Give up trying to improve the self, because it is the self that needs improving."

Again, look to nature.

We are the only species that makes internal sensory representations. How do I know that? I don't. But then again, how do I know that anyone makes internal sensory represtantions? I don't. (Though I'm not a solipsist.) I only know that I don't make them when I'm meditating or when I am engaged in a complex task.

Single-celled organisms don't make internal representations. And yet they "chose??" to strive and evolve to homo sapiens. Ants build anthills, they search for food, leave elaborate smell trails, etc. All without internal sensory representations. Chimpanzees use sticks to get ants out of their shelter. Is that the result of an internal representation?

None of us know,
but my feeling is... no.
They just go go go.

I wouldn't call that Zombie-hood. I'd call that ... life? Life as nature intended. Free-flowing life, as opposed to stop-and-go life.

The ego is rather like pointing a video camera at it's television monitor...you get infinite feedback.

Seems more like a result of not challenging oneself. We're not constantly engaged in the external world of nature or in complex civilized activities as animals in the wild are. We're ambling. We're...taking our time. Nature is urgent in it's pursuits. Unlike ants, monkeys, trees, fungi, virii, we're avoidant of ceaseless challenge. It seems only natural that our vast minds would turn in on themselves. We've got so much unstructured time!

#2738 02/12/02 04:29 PM

Also, keep in mind that paleoanthropologists have divided homo sapiens into two categories:

Homo Sapien (200,000 BC to 6,000 BC) (aka Cro-Magnon Man)
and
Homo Sapien Sapien (6,000 BC to 2000 AD)

Cro-Magnon Man looks just like us. Same species. Same 1200 cc brain. Same legs, arms. Same everything.

When the Natufians settled down in the Mesopatamia area and became professional agro-pastorlists, they suddenly had lots of free time.

They hung up their hunter-gathering gear. Before ca. 6,000 BC, they spent 100% of their waking life *engaged* in survival.

Now, they could plant seeds and watch them grow, and herd domesticated animals. ...Still work, but this leaves quite a bit of time at the end of the day.

The advent of unstructured time. The first time in the history creation that a living organism didn't have anything immanent to do.

And what happens when there is nothing immanent to engage yourself in? You start to introspect. Psychic entropy rears its ugly head.

Anxiety, depression, boredom.

Unstructured free time is the root of all suffering, all unhappiness. It's a new problem. 8,000 years old. Happened because of agro-pastoralism.

Give me a gazelle to spear!!

#2739 02/12/02 07:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Brian649:
Greetings fellow pioneers,

Enthusiasts refer to it as the ‘Harmonic Matrix’. I know of two other people who know how to make such a matrix. That is, two other people and a company. I’m sorry I cannot share this knowledge as I said I would not. Luckily though, you can buy it on CD and rip it to a .wav. For those of you interested in mixing paraliminals with entrainment, go to:
www.vantagequest.org

They employ the technology for a creativity CD, but fortunately they’ve separated the actual matrix from any dialogue. Personally, I have no problem making these matrices, but if you are familiar with that CD, you’ll know that it’s dynamic. I can make a static 10 second clip. These guys do something more with sounds going this way and that...the matrix almost seems organic the way the handle it. They are also ‘experts’ with much collected experience.

ANYWAY, so buy that CD, (and buy Natural Brilliance if you haven’t already)

Let’s rock,

Brian

Brian, what's you experience with Vantage Quest? On their website (last updated ages ago) they claim to release 12 CD's, but have only one...

Grtz, Erwin

#2740 02/12/02 08:19 PM

Brian, what's you experience with Vantage Quest?

I like it. It's powerful. It's good for sucking lots of ideas out of your brain. Never fails to put me into a creative zone. Be sure to use it with paper and pad nearby.

they claim to release 12 CD's, but have only one...

Harmonic matrices are built on a first tone or key. Carlise plans to build CDs based on all 12 of the scale. Each note is associated with different effects, i.e. animus, sexuality, reflection. Like the colors of the rainbow. Blue is reflective. Red is primally energizing. Green is creative (or something like that.)

[This message has been edited by Brian649 (edited March 09, 2002).]

#2741 02/13/02 06:19 AM

I think that the website is a great idea (in fact I was going to suggest that you set up your own discussion board or something). Ezboard is pretty simple to set up.

I have a suggestion for an article...how about a break down of some of the things that boosted your chi as measured by the "Egely Wheel".

It would rock to have a listing of energy enhancing methods.

#2742 02/18/02 12:07 AM

brian, mail me. (your old email is dead)

#2743 02/18/02 02:21 AM

Mox?

Oh, there you are.
...I believe my email is just fine.

#2744 03/05/02 07:26 AM

I have a degree in history, and I consider it one of the main focal mistakes of my life.

But then again, I don't have a history degree from Yale.

If you're not planning on working anyway, it really doesn't matter what your professional training is, does it?

#2745 03/06/02 06:39 AM

I have a degree in history, and I consider it one of the main focal mistakes of my life.

Yep, pragmatically a waste of ones time. Interesting though.

But then again, I don't have a history degree from Yale.

I'm a firm believer in utility. History is equally useless from X university as from Y. I can't use anything I've learned to actually DO anything. ...Except write and speak intelligently and read analytically. Which is all very well. But I'd sooner have the knowledge to CREATE a computer program or build a bridge than write a soon-to-be-worthless research paper.

If you're not planning on working anyway, it really doesn't matter what your professional training is, does it?

Too true, too true. My mother doesn't like the idea that I have succeeded in worming myself out of the grasp of the academic/working world. She sees it as a betrayal of the natural order or something. "You didn't have to go to yale to become a landlord," she says, or she'll bring up the cost as being ultimately futile.

To which, I reply that it took the relentless onslaught of yale intellectual barbarity to knock me on the ground, off of my horse. Now, I see that I can simply and quickly dig underneath the ivy wall to get to the other side, rather than spending the next 40+ years struggling to climb over it and never reaching the promised land.

Why did the chicken cross the road?

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Wendy_Greer 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved