Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Iam2 Offline OP
OP Offline

Okay, I'm not into MJ. However, I did buy a bottle of Ginko, or Gingko, or however you care to anglosize it.

I'm getting older, have young kids, and well I don't feel as sharp as I once was. I know that the first thing I should do is try and get 8 hours of sleep each night, which is something I did achieve when I felt sharper, but that ain't going to happen. So off to the web and then the pharmacy.

This is my first bottle, but the third time I started taking it. The first time and second time, my peripheral vision was cranked up a notch all the time. I also started have very vivid dreams. Which is very unusual for me, the guy who never remembers his dreams.

Anyways, I'm now trying to take the dosage spread out over the day instead of popping the three tablets first thing in the morning. I did notice the previous time that it takes a few days for things to start to have an affect.

So the purpose of the post is to ask the question "What is your experience and opinion on Ginko?".

Thanks in advance.

Gingko sucks,, Try piracetam and you'll see why I recommend it. The following is an article about it. If you need to do some research on it, try altavista and just type in "Piracetam"

This is an article from a well respected research team. They don't sell piracetam. If you know a little of statistics, you'll understand their findings.
Nootropics - and the healthy

Piracetam-nootropics have also shown the ability to improve learning and memory in healthy individuals not suffering from disease or severe age-related degeneration. In 1976 Dimond and Brouwers reported the results of some of a series of seven double blind trials, involving 16 second and third year college students "in excellent health and good physical and mental condition."

Subjects received either 4.8 grams a day Piracetam or placebo for 14 days. In three different measures of verbal learning and memory, the results showed a highly significant difference in favor of the Piracetam students over the controls, with confidence levels of P=.01, P=.02 and P=.01. The authors stated "the fact is that Piracetam improves verbal learning and in this it would appear to be a substance which is.. capable of extending the intellectual functions of man.. our subjects were not senile, suffering from generalized brain disorder, confusional states, or any other pathology of the brain... It is therefore possible to extend the power which [individuals gifted with high intelligence and good memory] possess to still higher levels despite the fact that the range of their achievement is a high."

Giurgea and Salama report the confirmation of Dimond/ Brouwer's work by Wedl and Suchenwirth in 1977. Wedl found significant improvement in mental performance in a group of 17 healthy young volunteers given 3.2 grams per day Piracetam for five days.

Mindus and colleagues (1976) reported the results of a double blind crossover trial with 18 healthy middle aged people (median age 56), with no evidence of somatic or mental disease, based on medical records and administration of several intelligence tests (group mean IQ; 120 plus or minus 11).

Most of the subjects were in intellectually demanding jobs, but had reported a slight reduction for some years in their capacity to retain or recall information.

After four weeks of 4.8 grams per day Piracetam, Piracetam subjects were switched to placebo for four weeks, while the original placebo group then received Piracetam for four weeks.

Results of a series of paper and pencil tests, as well as computerized tests to measure perceptual motor reactions, showed a clear benefit of Piracetam over placebo.

The three different paper and pencil tests showed superior effects on performance compared to placebo, with confidence levels of P<.001, P<.001 and P<.05. In four of the six computerized tests Piracetam showed a significant effect over placebo, with confidence levels of P<.05 for three and P<.029 for the fourth.

A fifth test showed a clear trend in favor of Piracetam, with P<.10. Wilsher and co-workers (1979) related their results with 4.8 grams per day Piracetam in a double blind, crossover trial to study the benefits of Piracetam for dyslexic students.

Interestingly, the 14 healthy student controls, matched for IQ with the dyslexic subjects, demonstrated a significantly better result on a test measuring ability to memorize nonsense syllables while using Piracetam as compared to placebo.

Has anyone tried Brain Vitality? It is found on www.purityproducts.com

The compounds are Acetyl-L-Cartinine and Phosphatidyl Serine. They say that these compounds are essential for nerve transmission in the brain. Some people feel the difference after 20 min of taking. Personally, I haven't seen any difference in my mental alertness, clarity, or recall.

Hel Offline

I've tried gingko. Didn't noticeany effect.
Your exams coming up soon, Gino? Anyway, good luck.

Hello,
I've personally tried Ginkgo biloba and it did have many positive effects in my short term memory and long term retention of information. Now, I am using Vinpocetine along with a lower dose (1 (50) mg 24% Ginkgo capsule) per day. I am trying to find and use an alternative to Ginkgo. Mostly, because of the effect Ginkgo has on blood flow, not only to the brain, but to the rest of the body, which could cause some serious issues to your bodies ability to react properly(clotting agents not being as effective)in an emergency.
As to Gino's comments, I've also read positive feedback on Piracetam as shown in his post, however, since you must order it from outside of the US, I think this is the reason for cost being steep. I will try Piracetam eventually, but have many things on the burner now as it is, to make a proper comparison of what I am taking(cheaper) with piracetam(expensive). If it works the same for me, I'll definitely look after my wallet!
If you do a google search on either or all of these items including 'nootropics' you'll find plenty of reading material on Gingko and alternatives.

Be good to your brain and your mind will thank you!

Hel
Thanks,The CPA exam is on May 8th and 9th.

quote:
Originally posted by Hel:
I've tried gingko. Didn't noticeany effect.
Your exams coming up soon, Gino? Anyway, good luck.

Foneguy, Piracetam is not that expensive is only $17.10. This is one of the sites where they sell it: http://www.biogenesis.co.za/pi-piracetam.html

Hi Gino,
Look at that!!! I was looking in the wrong places for Piracetam. I will DEFINITELY get it at the biogenesis web site!!

Very Glad You Posted!!!

Thank YOU

Let me know how it goes. Don't forget to start with a high dosage of 4800mg for the first two days. afterwards, 1600 mg will be sufficient. My piracetam arrived two weeks after I order it. I'm in Miami, florida.

quote:
Originally posted by foneguy9:
Hi Gino,
Look at that!!! I was looking in the wrong places for Piracetam. I will DEFINITELY get it at the biogenesis web site!!

Very Glad You Posted!!!

Thank YOU

Hel Offline

Gino, is the piracetam in powder form? Do you take anything else with it? Is it helping you with your studies?

[This message has been edited by Hel (edited April 25, 2002).]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved