Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#28030 05/06/02 01:54 PM

Hey Hel,

Tell us more about Pullman's stuff. Please...

quote:
Originally posted by Hel:
See if there's any way you could help your mom find/get re-acquainted with her "penguin". Seeing that she's your mom, she probably never lost touch with hers, maybe they are so close that she's not completely conscious of their connection. Try it lightly, at times when she 'just knows' something, like
"Hey, how did you know that? " "Been talking to your 'penguin' (or whatever you think her 'daemon' might be) again?" etc.
You know what I mean. I am sure you can intuitively do this according to the situation, as you know/understand your mom.
Have you read Philip Pullman's "The Golden Compass"? There each person has a daemon, an animal that's connected to the person for life. It's a heart connection, the daemon and its person feel each other's feelings. Check it out if you haven't read it already. Your library probably has it.

#28031 05/07/02 07:57 PM
Hel Offline

It's a trilogy by Philip Pullman, the first of which being "The Golden Compass". The other 2 books are called "The Subtle Knife" and "The Ember Spyglass". I recommend all three.

Anyway, TGC begins in a place called Oxford, a sort of parallel to the Oxford in England. But the inhabitants there are all born with a 'daemon'. The daemon has an animal form, but that form changes during the person's childhood, as the child changes, from moment to moment. Here's an excerpt:

"....he (the daemon) was a bat, an owl, a wildcat again, she looked all round, catching his panic, and then saw them at the same time as he did: two men running at her, one from the nearer side holding a throwing net."

So you see, the daemon sensed the danger first and got immediately into action. Basically, in this world, a person is never alone nor lonely, because one always has one's daemon, closer than the closest possible friend. You always understand your daemon and your daemon always understands you. The most painful thing that can happen to a person/daemon is to be separated from each other.

The daemon settles into one form as the person grows up. Excerpt:

"Why do daemons have to settle?" Lyra said. "I want Pantalaimon to be able to change forever. So does he."
"Ah, they always have settled, and they always will. That's part of growing up. There'll come a time when you'll be tired of his changing about, and you'll want a settled kind of form for him."
"I never will!"
"Oh, you will. You'll want to grow up like all the other girls. Anyway, there's compensations for a settled form."
"What are they?"
"Knowing what kind of person you are. Take old Belisaria. She's a seagull, and that means I'm a kind of seagull too. I am not grand and splendid nor beautiful, but I'm a tough old thing and I can survive anywhere and always find a bit of food and company. That's worth knowing, that is. And when your daemon settles, you'll know the sort of person you are."

I don't want to say too much about the story itself in case you want to read it.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved