Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2

i liked The Giver. nice book. man i gotta read that again... you guys are better at this than i thought.

Administrator
Administrator

ulysses, It took me about 2 hours.

In the past to regular read a book like that would have taken me 10 hours. I know since I rarely read novels because I don't put the book down and would be reading 10 hours straight. I find my reading speed for novels just right since it like watching a movie and that takes about 2 hours. I wouldn't use the complete system on a novel (unless its one I've been asked to read that I'm not really interested in) I just PR the book, the do a post view to see if I can identify the main characters, theme, location and some idea of the storyline. Then just rapid read. Some pages get turned quickly and others I spend more time on.

For the book Timeline I drew a mind map to check afterwards how well I postviewed. I impressed myself. I found out what the book was about, would have been able to give the feed back to someone challenging me in about 15 minutes. Because after Photoreading it I was able to identify all the main characters, the theme of the book, what era and location the book was set. I know that for more details I could have just used the activation techniques and probably had enough comprehension out of the book in about 1 hour but instead settled down for a rapid read that took me 3.5 hours. Since I rapid read the book I know that my brother would enjoy it.

Alex

Many thanks for that, Alex. I'm surprised you mindmapped it, though. I thought that would be the first stage to be dropped when PRing novels.

I'll give your system a try and see if it works for me.

Cheers.

Ulysses, UK.

quote:
Originally posted by Neo-Matrix:
i liked The Giver. nice book. man i gotta read that again... you guys are better at this than i thought.

That book, actually, I didn't PR. I just normal read it over a period of about 5 1/2 hours one night a couple years ago.

I liked that book too, but I really didnt understand the end when I read it, its kinda leaves off. I read that book about five times (along with To Kill A Mockingbird) because you get something new everytime you read those books.

I do PR alot of Shakespear.

Administrator
Administrator

ulysses, normally yes we'd skip mind mapping a book initally I did it for the heck of it to see what I knew about the book before I actually read it. For the mind map of the novel I looked for 4 key things that usually are in a novel. Characters, Location, Era, theme and general story line.

I did this so that I could recognise what I knew already before I started reading. Sort of proving just how effective the photoreading stage is even for a novel.

Alex

I have a question regarding photoreading novels. Do you guys lose some of the details when you photoread a novel? I still don't fully understand photoreading. I just started photoreading and I did two books, Einstien Factor and Sedonna Method. So far it seems like I get a general understanding of the books, but I don't think I can remember smaller details. I haven't started any novels yet but from my impression of what I experience, I'll probably get the plot and themes, but will I be able to remember details like descriptions of characters, landscape, etc?

Administrator
Administrator

I found I'm getting more details as a benefit of photoreading. When you use the system as guided then you'll have at the very least the same level of comprehenion or even better.

The biggest mistake beginners seem to make is cutting the activation short before meeting their purpose. Often just one more 30 mintue pass will bring the whole thing together but they don't realise that they can go for more detail if they want that.

If it's general you want, then you stop when you have that. If it's more detail that you want, do extra passes until you get the detail that you want. If you find yourself spending more time with a book chances are you are collecting more details that you would not have picked up with one regular read as well.

Alex

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved