Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
#32944 05/08/03 03:31 PM

You might consider finding an online version of the Bible to PR. One sight I recommend is www.BibleGateway.com. At least the page turning won't be an issue (and it has multiple versions of the bible as well).

Enjoy

#32945 05/08/03 06:53 PM

Thanks for all the feedback. I will check out the online versions and let you know my experience.

It seems that many of you have had positive experiences.

Robert

#32946 05/10/03 05:59 AM

First off, YOU must decide what level of comprehension you need, as is the case for any PRing endeavor. If you want/need more comprehension, PR by individual book. (bible is the translation from Latin, biblios which means many books)
The bible contains at least 65 individual books. I'd suggest/recommend PRing them individually as well as PRing books on the living condition/styles culture of the time. That way you have a more complete understanding of why a book goes on and on about cattle, planting, revenge and such stuff.
Of course, if you take this course of action, (operative word ACTION), it will take you quite a while. The benefit will be a most complete comprehension of bible text. Also, if you have specific questions that are guiding your S.C. that you tell yourself, you could eventually quote chapter and verse.

Just my 2 cnts.

#32947 05/12/03 01:56 AM

Allow me to ask: why such interest in the bible? I know some may consider themselves christian, but I urge you to seriously test your beliefs. I, too, was once a "christian", baptised and confirmed. No longer in my seele (german, approx. psyche/soul), though. Christian cosmology and orthodox- generally institutionalised- belief now seems silly, irrelevant, and, in fact, hampering to the development of spiritual capacity. If you want clarification, just write. Why do you feel the personal need for this religion, if you do consider yourself Christian?

#32948 05/12/03 10:50 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Kristoff Olafsson:
Allow me to ask: why such interest in the bible? I know some may consider themselves christian, but I urge you to seriously test your beliefs. I, too, was once a "christian", baptised and confirmed. No longer in my seele (german, approx. psyche/soul), though. Christian cosmology and orthodox- generally institutionalised- belief now seems silly, irrelevant, and, in fact, hampering to the development of spiritual capacity. If you want clarification, just write. Why do you feel the personal need for this religion, if you do consider yourself Christian?

I believe that people should be able to choose whichever religion they wish without being questioned by others in such a discourteous manner. I personally choose to be Christian and whilst I may not agree with some other people’s beliefs / viewpoints, I at least have the courtesy to respect those beliefs and not ridicule them by referring to them as 'silly' or 'irrelevant'. I for one do not find that my religion hinders my spiritual development in anyway; it in fact expedites it. Obviously since religion so complex, it is easy to abuse it and for people to mislead others. However, I believe that religion in itself without the added human interference, adaptations in order to satisfy ones self interests, is one of the purest commodities available to us. In the end, it is up to the individual to choose for their self.

#32949 05/12/03 02:48 PM

Let's have an understanding on this board: We discuss HOW to READ. The Bible is a great topic for this--as a collection of writings from different literary genres(history, law codes, erotic poetry, sermons, oracles, prayers) we are presented with the challenge of reading it in parts and as a whole. Experienced photoreaders are in a position to give helpful advice on the technology of reading this book. But if you want to heckle Christians, or proseletize your faith, this ain't the place.

[This message has been edited by eryk (edited May 12, 2003).]

#32950 05/12/03 03:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by eryk:
Let's have an understanding on this board: We discuss HOW to READ. The Bible is a great topic for this--as a collection of writings from different literary genres(history, law codes, erotic poetry, sermons, oracles, prayers) we are presented with the challenge of reading it in parts and as a whole. Experienced photoreaders are in a position to give helpful advice on the technology of reading this book. But if you want to heckle Christians, or proseletize your faith, this ain't the place.

[This message has been edited by eryk (edited May 12, 2003).]

I agree

#32951 05/12/03 03:13 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by eryk:

[This message has been edited by eryk (edited May 12, 2003).][/QUOTE

I second that

#32952 05/13/03 05:43 AM

I started PR'g certain books in the Bible, including Genesis, Psalms & Proverbs. Then went back and dipped certain passages with greater clarity than before.

Actually, I read the Bible several times many years ago, in various translations, so I think this served as more of an activation than an original PR.

One thing I realized that my perception of it and what I get out of it has a lot to do with my mental/spiritual state at the time....e.g. if I begin with preconceptions or "contempt prior to invesigation" I will find exactly what I'm looking for. On the other hand, if I begin with an open mind and a willingness to understand - even when it contradicts my original belief sets - I discover a world hitherto unrealized.

Thanks for all the responses.. I hope this thread stimulates the continued seeking of higher truth by all.

Robert

#32953 05/20/03 11:38 PM

I've read the King James, The New International Version, and the Living Bible. Next on my list is the Lamsa translation from the original Aramaic. According to Dr. David R. Hawkins (see my posts under Power vs. Force), this is the most pure translation...especially Psalms, Proverbs, Genesis, and the New Testament (except Revelation).

Has anyone else read this version?

Thanks,

Robert

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved