Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
OP Offline

so how did you fix what was making you depressed?

someone here found religion and that helped. a few people have found strength in themselves. how about you?

Administrator
Administrator

Turned of the TV. Worse cause of depression is watching TV. The advertising and the movies soaps always create ideals that are for most people unachievable and makes them feel worse about themselves. You'll find successful people are very selective with their TV viewing. They will tell you it's waste of time. If you want to be successful at something start imitating them.

Alex

OP Offline

astro: here are some books you might like, if you havent come across them already:

the outsider (colin wilson)
the medusa frequency (russell hoban)
fight club (chuck palahniuk)
the ****-up (arthur nersesian)
choke (chuck palahniuk)
catch-22 (joseph heller)
the catcher in the rye (jd salinger)

alex: if i turned off tv, id miss scrubs and simpsons. those are great shows. i think i get what you are saying though.

here's a nice quote from, i dont recall where:

"the effect of life in society is to complicate and confuse our existence, making us forget who we really are by causing us to become obsessed w/ what we are not."

or there's

"we all grew up to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars, but we wont. and we're slowly learning that fact. and we are very, very ****ed off (fight club, film)."

nice quotes, i think.

irregardless, its ok to type irregardless. even though its not a word, just as its okay to watch tv. as with all things, excess is considered bad, but its only bad if you consider it so.

i know successful people who watch lots of tv and i know unsuccessful people, me, who watch little (go scrubs!).

OP Offline

there are shows that will make me feel like ****, though. alot of the things i come across on mtv **** me off something awful. so as with most things that aggrivate me, i keep at them to see what will happen.

so far, nothing good.

The most depressing thing on tv to watch is the news. I highly recommend you not bother watching it most of the time, just ask a friend if anything major is going on. Another thing i've discovered is spending more than 3 or 4 hours a week playing comp games is a bad thing. Any more than that is just wasting time you could be spending improving yourself. Much less than that and your not having any fun I wouldn't recommend you smash your keyboard however as that gets expensive after the 3rd or 4th time... When i kno i've been online too long i TURN THE COMPUTER OFF!! Sometimes i even have to leave the room, but then, i accomplish the work i needed to do, then I can go relax for awhile and post messages on forums and stuff o, btw, anyone tried binaural beats? I've been trying "Brainwave Generator" to reduce my sleep, with limited success, anyone have any ideas?

Firstly, make a new program go into deep delta (1 hz or so), and make it last about a half an hour. Check out "feel the power" topic in the paraliminal forum.

Secondly try (if possible) polyphasic sleep. See "Polyphasic Sleep" under paraliminal forum.

I think most of us are losers in a way. If not, we wouldn’t be here trying to learn to acquire information without studying. Basically, we all want to learn to read 25,000 words a minute and finish a 4-year college in two years, which is something very unlikely. We don’t even want to read at 25,000 for crying out loud. We just want our subconscious mind to the hard work for us. We feed ourselves with the hope that Pring will get us to study without struggling.
America has spoiled us. That is why Computer companies have to recruit foreigners for their Engineer and Computer Science positions. If you guys don’t believe me, I suggest you take a look at Silicon Valley. I know an Engineer that cannot speak a word of English, but he is making around 130,000. Why? Americans are not enrolling in difficult professions, such us Engineering and Computer Science.

This is just a thought. I finish college reading at a rate of 275 words per minute. It took me 5 yrs instead of 4, but I did it, and I was not even born in the US.

I’m not going to brag about success because; I’m unemployed like most of you. I spent a whole year trying to become a Certified Public Accountant, and I still don’t know if I passed the exam. Now, A year after my graduation, companies do not want to hire me because they don’t like the fact that I waste a whole year preparing to become a CPA.

They also don't like that my overall GPA is 3.15. I didn't know that GPA was so important that is why I only concentrated on my Accounting GPA,Which was 3.30.

Guys, If you all choose a Marketable career and garduate before reaching your 30s, life will be little more pleasent with a white collar salary.

[This message has been edited by Dana Hanson (edited January 22, 2003).]

I was in the same boat when I was about 24. The boat kept sinking until I was almost 28, when I decided to kill myself. Upon failing, I realized that I didn't want to try killing myself again, but I needed that to be more than a whim. I needed a reason to live.

When you have a purpose in life, your actions, your values, everything just lines up around it.

But, here's the secret. You understand the absurdity of life. Making your purpose somehow less-than-absurd is going to feel like bull-droppings, and you'll know it. Make your "highest good" in life something totally absurd, but something that really does resonate with you.

One thing that helped when I was about 25 was going back to school. Although I never did complete my associate's degree, it helped me until the dot-com-crash of 00 took away my job. However, by that time, I had enough skills to get a higher-paying job in a month's time.

Girlfriend's are a two-edged swords. On one hand, they can offer inspiration, support and encouragement. On the other, they can cause "life-freeze" because you're afraid that any personal growth you make will cause you to "grow appart." I perfer to stay single, but I was approached and I find it hard to say no to someone willing to buy me burritoes.

One weird reframe... get a book on child-raising and extend your childhood. Look at it this way: you are where you are because of what happened in your childhood. By giving yourself the experiences every child should have before they reach 18, you at least get to have them. It's never too late to have a happy childhood.

Martin, I'm glad someone finally said it matter-of-factly. I hope it doesn't insult anyone, but I do think that the truly happy, succesful people are out living their lives instead of searching for a magic bullet. As an example, those who've mastered photoreading are reaping the benefits for themselves instead of hanging out here (except for some people who are nice enough to provide some encouragement to us). It doesn't make those people selfish, though, don't get me wrong. I too would like to busy myself with cool stuff and a great job instead of tv and internet. Pman, thanks for the advice and the book rec's. The GED went well and I'll get my score in six weeks. USC will most likely accept me so I'm not worried or anything. What bothers me is that I'm perpetuating this laziness and I can only hope that I can overcome it for school. Just curious, does anyone here NOT suffer from depression or anxiety? It seems to me that perfectly happy people have no desire for self improvement...am I wrong?

You have a strong point there. If you are completely happy with who you are, why bother changing? To quote the old saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" Personaly, I believe there is always room to improve. For the 99% of us who want to change, PR looks like the way to do it. O, and a thousand thanks to the great ppl who mastered PRing and stay around here helping ppl who need it.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved