Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#34114 01/24/03 05:25 PM

This reminds me of an event about five years ago. I was at a Christian relative's house, and she got into a discussion with me about an ethical question in a textbook she was using to home-school her son. The question was about accepting money to allow someone to copy your software onto their computer. She was quite indignant about the question even being raised. Rather than argue, I got up, went to her computer, and turned it on. "You're right," I said, "software piracy is unacceptable under any circumstances. Copying software is theft, and theft is clearly forbidden by the Most High." When she asked me why I was going onto her computer, I told her, "Oh, I was in the room when the people who put together your computer informed you that you'd be givin a '100 year limited free trail' of Windows 95 and Microsoft Office. I'm making sure you follow the courage of your convictions." Needless to say, her outrage turned into embarassment.

I've paid for every peice of software on my computer, except for mIRC. I'll register mIRC if DALnet comes back.

#34115 01/25/03 08:36 AM

You know it's funny.

When I was younger, I pirated EVERYTHING in sight - games, music, whatever.

Now... I make decent money, and I buy everything. Two reasons

1. It takes too much of my time to pirate something, and my time is valuable.

2. Since I create training materials, I know how it is to have someone copy my stuff for free.

Humphrey www.not5150.com

#34116 01/25/03 07:05 PM

If the world became very efficient at "sharing" could LSC afford to continue to produce its products? Could anyone?
If we were all this "efficient" what in the world would be produced?
What would we have left to "share?"

#34117 01/26/03 04:19 PM

Good points.

But, any discussion of sharing vs. stealing in regards to commercial interests should start at English common law ideas about "property". That's where it all stems from.

Philosphical arguments aside, the idea of sharing digital files is about property and copyright law.

#34118 01/26/03 07:04 PM

well what do you all think about letting someone else use the materials you bought. say i buy the program, learn it well and become an avid photoreader. is it wrong to let a family member borrow the program so that he too can learn? one of us paid for it and theres still only one copy? i dont see anything wrong with that, but i'm sure companies do.

andrew/agent orange

#34119 01/26/03 09:20 PM
Administrator
Administrator

As Pete pointed out. Pass on your tapes for others to learn. You no longer have the tapes and are sharing. And you've passed on something that has the consistent quality that was originally provided by the company.

Sell copies and you are robbing the buyer of the entitlements of throughly benefiting. They do not receive the personal coaching. There is usually important additional material that is not provided. Robbing the recipient of important data that helps make the best use. The quality of the copies are often such that important points can be missed or out of sequence wrongly named that causes more confusion than benefit. Factors that make it much more difficult if not impossible for the recipient to truely benefit.

If you really want something or really want to do something it sometimes needs to be difficult to obtain for the individual to truely appreciate the wealth of their goal.

Alex

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved