Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#36051 04/08/03 09:27 PM
Arthur Offline OP
OP Offline

Okay, first of all, let me say that, from what I understand, Dr. Wenger has a LOT more stuff than the information in Genius Code. In my opinion he is one of the smartest men ever to live. (Sorry Paul )
He has a real education--and is a dabbler of sorts.

Secondly, I do not intend to start a debate here, just to supply you with some effective (in my experience) alternate activation techniques. For more info, check www.winwenger.com and www.geniusbydesign.com

Dr. Wenger thinks that, first of all, the previewing step should be skipped to keep the PR'ing clean, without any conscious run-through before hand.

He also thinks that freenoting and fast imagestreaming are the best activation techniques because they really bring information to conscious awareness, and aid your understanding, thus really activating the material.

The PRWMS activation techniques, he says are not real activation, but rather just another way to enter information into your mind.

The next thing he suggests is that the freenoting (or fast imagestreaming, or "guest lecture" [speaking as fast as you can without stopping about something, like freenoting]) be done immediately after PR'ing because otherwise the brain sorts out the information and leaves it to rot, basically

The Freenoting and guest lecturer work great because it sucks the information from your brain like a vaccuum, the faster you go, the more you get.

What are you guys' experiences about this?

#36052 04/08/03 10:29 PM
Administrator
Administrator

Here are my thoughts. There are two types of activation; manual and spontaneous. Win is in favor of "Socratizing" yourself and everyone around you. Good plan. It pulls information and exformation into the spotlight of conscious awareness.

But if you think there is a "purist" form of activation, I don't think you fully get what Win and I are saying.

Look at your feet, the space they cover of the ground. Then look at the ground extending all around. That's the difference between the conscious and nonconscious resources of mind.

When activating you have to run around to notice what happened in the nonconscious when exposed to the information. That's why it's called "ACTIV-ation" not Passiv-ation.

How many ways can you become active? In the course we suggest only twenty or so, but you are not limited in how many ways you can trigger connections. For example, one can PhotoRead and drop into the imagestream. Better yet, before PhotoReading, notice a predictive image, then PhotoRead and compare the internal image. That should give you all the direction you need to pursue.

"Dr. Wenger thinks that, first of all, the previewing step should be skipped to keep the PR'ing clean, without any conscious run-through before hand."

I agree and we teach Postviewing for that reason.

"He also thinks that freenoting and fast imagestreaming are the best activation techniques because they really bring information to conscious awareness, and aid your understanding, thus really activating the material."

I know he does. Try teaching that to a group of lawyers and medical doctors sometime...

I don't disagree that they are excellent activation techniques, and most people are still stuck on the idea that they need to know what is in the book. Until the paradigm changes, nothing changes.

"The PRWMS activation techniques, he says are not real activation, but rather just another way to enter information into your mind. "

Or as Gerald Edelman says, a way to put "re-entrant stimuli" past the neural sheets that just finished organizing the patterns from the text you PhotoRead. In other words, notice what happens when you re-open the text. The key is in the noticing, not in the text. It's a paradigm thing again.

"The next thing he suggests is that the freenoting (or fast imagestreaming, or "guest lecture" [speaking as fast as you can without stopping about something, like freenoting]) be done immediately after PR'ing because otherwise the brain sorts out the information and leaves it to rot, basically "

Not exactly. As with Postviewing, this is a doorway into further activation. Talk with professional writers. Any author will tell you that the best time to access the info is after the brain has had time to sort through it. Trust the brain.

"The Freenoting and guest lecturer work great because it sucks the information from your brain like a vaccuum, the faster you go, the more you get."

True. Pole-bridging and feeding the loop are well described in his books. We use imagestreaming and over-the-wall during our seminars.

Keep playing with the techniques. Invent more. Let the forum know what you find out.

#36053 04/08/03 10:56 PM

Wow... God of PRing talks... amazing.

Freenoting is fun just as it is. IMO, I think you can incorportate everything that works well into your OWN personal system. Add in PRWMS and Dr.Wenger, your set.

Chang

#36054 04/09/03 03:44 AM

Wow, thanks Paul!

#36055 04/09/03 04:07 AM

Paul, you need to write another book - the wealth and depth of the information you have is absolutely enthralling.

#36056 04/10/03 03:58 AM

yipppy! ok...

Imagestream helps to reduce my beta and go into ALS. I have no idea as to how to activate with that.

Freenoting feels like BSing to me... LOL. BS BS BS, errr..... are you suppose to use trigger words and just write about random stuff? I mean... they said for lectures you write as fast as you can. But what about activating with those 2?

Chang

#36057 04/11/03 03:16 PM
Arthur Offline OP
OP Offline

Chang--usually I use ImageStreaming to activate fiction books. Try PR'ing then IS'ing on an Agatha Christie book. It's uncanny--I knew who did it from their description!

As for freenoting usually I write/type/speak (usually type) as fast as I can on the general topic of the book, and let your mind take it where ever it goes. You could use trigger words.

Paul--Thanks so much for your precious time!
Let me reply to your genius and get humiliated [gathers his notes]

Firstly when I said that the information "rots" if you don't Freenote it immediately after, I was exaggerating. Here's the exact quote (taken from an old list serv archive on geniusbydesign.com)

"...the raw material gets stowed in the unconscious first then gradually sorted out if there's no demand. Instantly sorted out and the relationships therein made conscious if [by] strong demand, [like] a rapid outflow process like freenoting..."

Dr. Wenger--at least in 1997--strongly believes that you should activate shortly after if not immediately with one of his ACTIVATION for understanding methods.

I agree with you that we should look in the text to NOTICE, not necessarily read.

Also, when I said that Dr. Wenger thinks that all the prereads should be stripped away, regardless of what he meant, I don't preview or postview.

Lastly, I fully understand that everyone should make PR'ing their own--which I have done--but I like debating, and I would like to present these alternate methods to the rest of the PR'ing community.

#36058 04/11/03 04:23 PM

Arthur:

Since you don't preview or post-view, do you gather trigger words to assist in recall or activation? Using trigger words to formulate questions for activation?. These are gather during preview/postview.

#36059 04/12/03 04:19 AM
Arthur Offline OP
OP Offline

As I say I normally don't use the activation techniques used in the book, but if I did, I suppose I would just go about making questions--you don't have to have "trigger" words, just questions you need answered--"How does this apply?" "How can I use this?"
etc.

#36060 04/12/03 01:10 PM

Arthur: So you're telling me that all you do is imagestream? I read about what's involved in imagestreaming and it sounds to complicated for me to perform, mainly because I don't get any images with my eyes closed. I've tried once out of curiosity and nothing. So I didn't take it as a viable form of activation. Plus I don't read for pleasure (fiction).

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved