Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Thanks for clearing that up.
Totally makes sense.

I think what I was worrying about was activating a passage, then going back and activating it again, in the same activation period.

This could end up making people virtually normal read the material.I mean, in the book, it say's about not worrying if you miss something, just keep going.Apologies if this isn't exact wording, but I belive that to be the case.Or is that just the pre-viewing stage?

Of course, I understand your explanation, I know you know your stuff, so I'm listening.

The way you explained it, as in starting wherever you feel necessary to start, is good advice.

Just feel it's important that I make sure I've got this right.
Should I go back, forward, skip to, or whatever, over the same passage/paragraph (activation pass) more than once in the same activation period?
Or is there a danger in going back/forward/skip over the same stuff multiple times, because this could almost turn into full activation?

My thinking us this: If you only go forward/back in one direction, then there's no danger of passing over the same material multiple times in the same period.

Whereas if you skip to material, then people could end up going over the same material multiple times, thus trying to gain full conscious activation of whole material, instead of getting a feeling for the material.

Jeez, I'm long-winded, bet you loved reading that.

Thanks!

PS: Using your analogy.If you stick with the same food in the same sitting (activation pass), then you'll be stuffed with just one type of food.Thus, when you go back to the food for the next sitting, you'll be fed up of that type of food, and not want to touch it.

[This message has been edited by flex22 (edited December 10, 2003).]

Administrator
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by flex22:
Thanks for clearing that up.
Totally makes sense.

I think what I was worrying about was activating a passage, then going back and activating it again, in the same activation period.

This could end up making people virtually normal read the material.I mean, in the book, it say's about not worrying if you miss something, just keep going.Apologies if this isn't exact wording, but I belive that to be the case.Or is that just the pre-viewing stage?

That's the case, Your mind has picked it up during photoreading and superreading so the fear that you missed it is redundant. It's making it known to yourself consciously through activation. So even reading the same passage during a dip is often significant to your comprehension. Usually you find you either did it faster or were alerted to misreading or misunderstanding a passage. After all we all have made statements that were ambiguous when we checked them afterwards only to realise what we said can be taken two ways. So there is no mistake in reading a passage more than once. Call it reinforcement.

quote:
Of course, I understand your explanation, I know you know your stuff, so I'm listening.

The way you explained it, as in starting wherever you feel necessary to start, is good advice.

Just feel it's important that I make sure I've got this right.
Should I go back, forward, skip to, or whatever, over the same passage/paragraph (activation pass) more than once in the same activation period?
Or is there a danger in going back/forward/skip over the same stuff multiple times, because this could almost turn into full activation?

No danger Forgive me for grinning from ear to ear but I notice your inner mind has a message for you. "Or is there a danger in going back/forward/skip over the same stuff multiple times, because this could almost turn into full activation?" Full activation is what we most enjoy

I think you may have wanted to pose the question or is it falling back to regular reading? Nope, since regular readers often don't have mind probing questions or a purpose they wouldn't go back over stuff and as you become more proficient you will jump around forward and back to build the information you want a lost faster than regular reading. You're following your own inner guide that knows best what makes sense to you. Some people find it easier to ask a question when they know the know the answer others need definintiions and other like structured questions to build comprehension. You'll find that the jumping around is a lot faster than start to finish reading when it comes to building comprehension. On this score... try it and see what happens. It's also a good time to be mind mapping.

quote:
My thinking us this: If you only go forward/back in one direction, then there's no danger of passing over the same material multiple times in the same period.

Save that for the first very super superread do the book in one 30 minute activation pass (some books that will be close to photoreading them again). Going over the same material is to the point that it's redundant I think you'll notice and for that the answer is review your question and get back to supereading.

quote:
Whereas if you skip to material, then people could end up going over the same material multiple times, thus trying to gain full conscious activation of whole material, instead of getting a feeling for the material.

I'm amongst those who like to have same or better comprehension so gaining full conscious activation remains a primary goal for a lot of my reading material. Going over the same reinforces your memory of the text and that's great for studying

I suspect what you really mean is that if you focus on only certain sections you miss the rest of the material? That will depend on your purpose. Not all the information in a book is relevant to everyone. If you want to know the location of the nearest bookstore and you ask someone about it you don't want to be told where the worlds greatest shoe store is located. Some books the 'other' information is redundant for you so why activate it. The conscious mind has to forget it to make room for the next 5 to 9 bits of information in the next moment anyway.

quote:
Jeez, I'm long-winded, bet you loved reading that.

Thanks!

Responded in kind... happy reading

Alex

[This message has been edited by AlexK (edited December 10, 2003).]

"It's also a good time to be mind mapping."

Your perceptive.I really know I'm progressing, that's why I'm very happy at the moment.
You see, up until now I've never quite understood how you could mind map without actually going to the book and consciously seeking out the headings/sub-headings.

This morning, I woke up and drew a mind map, just came out of my head, well my hands actually, but the head did all the work.I mind mapped a complete book, all the main points.It was just all their on the paper, total understanding of what the book was all about.Amazing.I love it when something happens that you were totally sure could not be possible/as good.This is what makes me persistent and why I always fear when I read a post of somebody announcing they're going to give up.I just think, how can you leave this stuff, the benefits are enormous.

"The conscious mind has to forget it to make room for the next 5 to 9 bits of information"

Something that happens to me is that I can read a question/passage and I just automatically miss out info, just don't bother with it.I just have an overwhelming guide (unconscious) which tells me to miss it.I almost can't physically read it.Guess the unconscious is vastly more powerful than the conscious.I would hate this if I was missing things, but I haven't encountered any problems.
This is why the Photoreading step is important, and why just activating alone has little benefit.

"Forgive me for grinning from ear to ear "

Ok, you forgiven, lol

Thanks!

[This message has been edited by flex22 (edited December 10, 2003).]

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved