Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Administrator
Administrator

Once you consider yourself the master/expert there is nothing after that you stop developing.

I've chosen not to be a master, to see how far I can go with this. That's why I prefer the term proficient.

Keep applying it, you keep deveveloping it and you keep learning and have fun with it.

Alex

OP Offline

AlexK - Thanks for pointing out that "once you consider yourself the master/expert - there is nothing after that - you stop developing". This is very true, and this pitfall should be avoided at all costs if one is to attain true "Mastery" in the sense which I meant it, but which didn't explain properly, though I did hint in my words at a larger meaning.

When I said, "That is what mastery is all about - regular daily efforts and constant and never ending improvement," and "human potential is for all practical purposes - INFINITE," you might see that my idea of mastery isn't actually a set destination. It is a constant and never ending journey. For me mastery is about regular, disciplined efforts towards expressing our infinite potential.

I realize now, especially because of your comment, that my personal definition and understanding of mastery needed to be explained in greater detail - thanks for the nudge. My personal philosophy centers around this idea of mastery in the larger sense that I have outlined - it's a daily process for joyfully grappling with the Infinite.

quote:
Originally posted by AlexK:
Once you consider yourself the master/expert there is nothing after that you stop developing.

I've chosen not to be a master, to see how far I can go with this. That's why I prefer the term proficient.

Keep applying it, you keep deveveloping it and you keep learning and have fun with it.

Alex

I would say that is true to a degree, but not always, not necessarily. I think that 'proficient' is sort of the same thing as containing expertise. In my view of an expert, or even a master - they're always learning more and more, and often times it's a vision of them learning and doing more with whatever it may be even more actively than another.

For example, I'd say I'm an expert on using the PhotoReading system, but that doesn't mean that I'm the MASTER of the system, or am an expert in the knowledge within and behind the system itself. It simply means that I can apply it well in my daily life, and with expertise based off of what I've developed thus far, but there is still more to go, and always more to go.

Just a thought.

-youngprer

OP Offline

Just a quick note regarding a reading session that I had last night.

I have been reading Harry Fontayne and Jerry Lucas's "The Memory Book", which teaches a number of memory systems. Even though I photoread the book before working with it - this kind of material, where you are having to do one or two experiments and exercises every couple of pages and then you also have to memorize some basic memory system tools here and there, doesn't lend itself to a quick read if you want to get the most out of it. So I wouldn't call the pace that I have been going through the book even a rapid read - at least not in the areas where I have to stop and do exercises - which has been very often.

As I came across one specific chart I was struck by a strong sense of familiarity with this "new" information that could only be attributed to photoreading. Most of the material in the book is completely new to me. As I felt that sense of knowing the material flow over me I could feel it spreading out in each direction through the book - as if I had just surfaced from being under a dark ocean and could now breath and look around. What I was seeing was the consciously surfacing photoreading memory of the book.

[This message has been edited by livingsuccess (edited January 15, 2004).]

Administrator
Administrator

Are you sure you don't mean this book...

The Memory Book : The Classic Guide to Improving Your Memory at Work, at School, and at Play
by Harry Lorayne (Author), Jerry Lucas (Author)
?

Harry Lorayne has written quite a few good memory books

Alex

OP Offline

AlexK - Thanks for pointing that out. The book that I have I got from the library. It is the original 1974 version of the book, titled simply - The Memory Book, but this is the only book that Harry Lorayne co-authored with Jerry Lucas, and so the one that you mention is most likely the current revised edition of this book. If I am going to refer people to the book I should probably refer them to the one that you mention. I will have to go back and edit some of my posts to avert any confusion for people looking deeper into this. Thanks.

OP Offline

Today I activated the book, "The Power of Focus" by Jack Canfield, Mark Victor Hansen, and Les Hewitt. This is a very good book for people who want to take control of their lives and to really become effective.

In activating this book I did my first real mind map. It is really a great process. Everything of value is right there on the one page of my special sketch book that I purchased specifically to hold mind maps of the books I am activating.

One interesting thing about PhotoReading is that when you are activating - you are really not seeking to activate every word of the book. With the focusing techniques that Paul teaches in the program, you enable yourself to draw out of the book all of the specific information that is of use and interest to you. You can superread over large portions of the book at astonishing speeds - no longer wasting your time on the tiresome convincing process that is the hallmark of the most of the first half of books of this type. I have found that if you are very interested in the topic, there is usually very little to gain from the first few chapters, which are usually trying desperately to convince the skeptics of the value of the process outlined in the book. With photoreading you can superread very fast over these sections of the book - and they will occur throughout the book. This greatly shortens the time needed to gather the "meat" out of a book.

Using the photoreading process and activation - I was able to draw all of the meat out of this book of 300 pages in just 1 hour; photoreading, activation and mind mapping.

[This message has been edited by livingsuccess (edited January 16, 2004).]

livingsuccess
Did you already finish the course? There have been no new post since January 16.

OP Offline

I have finished going over the tapes/CD in the program a few times, but I don't think that is all there is to learning photoreading. I will continue to work at it, and I have wanted to makes some post recently, but I have set some pretty large goals for myself for this year and I have let my photoreading fall behind.

I am getting ready to attend the big PhotoReading Retreat coming up in the middle of the month with Paul and the crew in St. Paul. So, I have some homework to do for that.

I just went to the library yesterday and I found a stack of books on ecommerce, internet marketing and related topics which I am going to PhotoRead this weekend. I also found two books by Paulo Coelho, author of "The Alchemist". I was looking for "The Alchemist", but they didn't have it. I am trying to read different types of books using my newly learned techniques.

I have been going over Mark Twain's Autobiography - a great read, btw, and also a handful of other biographies and autobiographies - Edison, Franklin, Teddy Roosevelt. I have had some resistance to reading them too fast, because I want "to enjoy" them, but I have been noticing that I quite a bit of information comes through at high reading rates. So I am just going to have to continue the process and grow my skills.

OP Offline

So much has happened since my last entry here - it's hard to know where to start.

For one thing I attended the Photoreading Retreat that was held mid last month and it was AWESOME!!! If anyone can find a way to attend one of these special events that Learning Strategies holds from time to time I feel that I can completely endorse this company without a shred of reservation. This is such a special company and they have such an amazing staff.

There were well over 120 participants at this 5 day retreat, with attendees coming from all over the globe. It was a wonderful group of people and I made fome great new friends there. Really, that is putting it mildly. Honestly, I felt like I fell in love with just about everyone there - attendees, Learning Strategies staff and any extra family members of those who happened to drop in.

For me - it was a peak life experience connecting with all of these wonderful people, not to mention that I photoread 40 books in one day. I know that sounds like a lot, but I only activated about 4 or 5 of those that day!

By the end of the retreat I had developed my photoreading technique so that it only takes me about one to two minutes to photoread most books, from the point of closing my eyes to being done with that part of the procedure. We were doing activating sessions of 30 minutes at the end, but it was starting to feel like a long time to spend with a book. I found I was done in 20 minutes with many books.

There was a good period of resting after the seminar. I suppose my brain was fairly smoking from all of the data that I had consciously and other than consciously downloaded into it. I felt like I needed to sleep a bit more for the week following the seminar. I have been much more aware of my dreams and therefore I have remembered them and they have been more vivid and meaningful.

Currently I am reading books by the cartload and I am excited to see the effect of all of this new information upon my writing. I am working on a book with a partner and I am also putting together a number of ebooks at this time.

I know that my confidence is definitely effected by the photoreading experience. I know that I have covered my topic. I know that I have what I need to do the writing and that there is a wealth of information available to me in my memory.

Right now I am really enjoying a stack of books by Wayne Dyer. Some interesting stuff there. Also, Eckhart Tolle - The Power of Now, and The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved