Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
OP Offline

I have recently had some interesting things develop with a game that I play with the dictionary that might or might not be related to my PhotoReading efforts.

I call this game "the dictionary game", but it isn't the same as the one that Paul mentions in the program. This game is something that I have always done with the dictionary whenever I wanted an idea about something or to get some insight into a question that I was pondering. I take the dictionary and hold it quietly for a moment as I focus on my question then I open it to whatever pages seems "right" and focus on the first word that catches my eye. It always works for me - sometimes the answers are so direct it is very uncanny.

Lately, though I have been playing the "game" more often. I photoread the my webster's dictionary after starting the course. Now I am feeling more inspired to tap into my intuitions through the dictionary on a more regular basis. For instance, I was wondering if attending a certain program would be useful to me in achieving my longer term goals. So, using the relaxation visualization that Paul describes in the program, I put myself into a deep focused state. Then I asked myself, "Is taking this program along the path of achieving my long-term goals?" I intuitively opened the dictionary to a certain page and with my eyes closed, visualized the position of the answer word on the page. Opening my eyes I see the word "input" there - something that you put in order to get something more out. That seemed pretty obviously an affirmation to me, but as I sat there thinking I had my answer, I decided to check if there was anything more to get regarding this question. I visualized where on the page the "answer" word would be and turned the pages to the "right" spot. Opening my eyes, I chuckled. The word was "period"!

You might like to try playing with this variation on the dictionary game yourselves.

In a book I've looked at recently by Bill Hewitt, a psychic, he mentions just such a game. I actually have not tried it yet, but it does sound like a fun trick to add to the old 'intuitive guidance repertoire!' It sounds like you've had fun successes with it. I hope your PhotoReading proves to be a valuable asset for you as you have more time to devote to mastering it. I've actually been beginning to get comfortable with manual activation :-) It just took a little practice!

OP Offline

Yes, you are right about manual activation taking a bit to get used to it. It is like learning a certain way to balance your mental focus and your eyes at the same time. Every now and then I will get the hang of it and I find myself scanning nearly at superreading speeds and find that I am consciously taking it all in - reading a paragraph at a time. Then I get so excited that I lose my focus and I look right at some specific words and mentally verbalize. But, then I just try to get back into it and keep on going.

I know that if I keep this up I will master it. In the end the photoreading system is beginning to feel like a sneaky way of teaching speedreading with added benefits as well. But maybe, that is just the spontaneous activation of a stack of speedreading books that I photoread as a syntopical / direct learning experiment.

Your post have been exciting to read. I am hoping to get my tapes this Monday. I can't wait to start. I am in medical school and have alot of medical terms and proceses to learn. How would you go about this?

Also what would say, given your experience, is the best way to make the activation process happen with in a short span of time, say two weeks after finishing the course?

Thanks again for the journal experience and sharing it with us.

Lora

I think this is the most in depth topic we've seen for a single member and their journey with striving to master PhotoReading.

Living Success - would you mind if I linked this PR journal thread on my site?

-----

As for your experiences of taking in whole paragraphs at a time - I certainly know what you mean, but I wouldn't say "scanning" is the correct term, because scanning is like going out for individual little bits and pieces, which, when you're taking in whole paragraphs, doesn't seem to be what's happening.

I've been amazed at what a single word can do to my methodologies. Even when I don't realize it, linking up definitions of tiny little words that can lead me off path can eventually put me into a void I had no idea how I got in. Never did I realize that being as precise as possible was the best way to go. This is something that I've learned from AlexK, and partially Paul, too.

-youngprer
youngprer.com

OP Offline

LoraFlinn - Best wishes to you in your medical studies. In the case of medical studies, where you are learning lots of technical new things and new vocabulary associated to those processes and ideas, you will most likely want to work with a memory system of some sort in addition to the photoreading techniques. You will have to have faith in the system and work much harder in the beginning to build your foundation of this new vocabulary into your brain memory. This will necessarily be much slower work at first, but once you have built this foundation you will be able to take more advantage of the photoreading system in your studies.

I have recently been reading (using the photoreading system) some books by Harry Fontayne that I have already taught me a lot about using my memory in ways I had never considered. These systems were developed - all the way back into the ancient world - for people just like you studying the medical systems of their day. Becoming proficient with a memory system will enable you to superread over your texts easily moving through any basic material and zeroing right in on any new words or processes - then you slow down and do a memory association technique - anchoring forever in your mind - the word or process and it's meaning. Then you will be able to speed up to the next place you need to do a memory association.

The books I am studying are The Memory Book, by Harry Fontayne and Jerry Lucas, and Memory Makes Money, by Harry Fontayne. You should be able to find these at a local library.

The key to learning this system is to keep at it even if it seems like you aren't making progress. You and your brain will need to make some adjustments to this new way of processing information.

OP Offline

youngprer - Thanks for the praise. If you like the thread I think that would be great if you wanted to link to it from your site. It is nice to think that I am being helpful in some way to others who are seeking to learn this exciting and powerful system.

You said:

"...I wouldn't say "scanning" is the correct term, because scanning is like going out for individual little bits and pieces, which, when you're taking in whole paragraphs, doesn't seem to be what's happening."

I agree that the words we use are very powerful and important, and you are right we should be as concise as possible with our words. I agree that "scanning" was not the right word for "taking in a whole paragraph in one gulp", but it is a new experience for me, and a very exciting one, and I really don't have the right vocabulary to express these new abilities. It is not so much like scanning as it is that you are seeing the entire thought that the paragraph represents. So maybe we need to create some new words or phrases like "thought imaging" to describe these new processes. Maybe that is exactly what Paul is referring to as superreading?

Let's have some fun with this incredible system and create whole new ways to perceive and interact with the world.

[This message has been edited by livingsuccess (edited January 12, 2004).]

OP Offline

When I do my photoreading sessions, I do the relaxation technique as Paul suggests in the program and I get into a really relaxed very quickly and see myself in my special mental relaxation place. It is a special garden area near an ocean with some groovy lounge chairs in a flowing organically designed concrete nook. I can hear the ocean nearby and there are these beautiful white roses around the nook, which I smell each time I mentally enter this place. I can feel the softness of the petals on my face as I do this.

As I relax in this place I focus on my purpose for wanting to read the book I am about to work with. One thing I have been doing in addition to this process lately, which I think is a very helpful visualization for me, is that I see myself sitting with the author of the book - if I can form a visual image through a picture in the book or another source. I can ask him about what I am hoping to get from the book. He sits with me and I imagine us creating a mental rapport between us - connecting with the thought stream of the author - so that I know I am absorbing the thoughts from them that went into the creation of the book. When I move to the Photoreading phase and I have opened my eyes to photofocus on the books - I imagine that I am still in that space, mentally, and that the author is standing behind me with their hands on my shoulders or head, further strengthening the mental rapport with them as I photoread the book.

I just had an interesting idea while I was writing this. In my next session I will begin imagining that they have one hand on my shoulder and the other touching the spot at the top back of my head where the visualized tangerine goes (from the tangerine technique) to help focus! I think that will be very powerful.

When I go in to the relax state, it helps a lot if I was listening to the PR Home Learning Course Relax part where Paul 'talked' me into relaxation. Either that or having Mozart helping me.

Probably, my most successful reading using PR is during my last semester where all of us are struggling through 2 very tough subjects. Although I have learnt how to PR before that but I didn't really harness the true power of it (old habits die hard). I reverted back to normal reading habits and barely passed my midterm paper.

Imagine a student with a CGPA of 3.88 getting a grade like that! I told myself I had enough of this nonsense I digged out my Home Learning Course and 're-learned' PR.

For the finals I PhotoRead and activate (skittering and rapidread) it next day. Total time spend per subject 1 day plus while it take most a week! It ****es all my classmates when I told them that!!! What ****es them even more is that I got an A- on both subjects (could have gotten an A if I spend a couple more hours on mind maps but I was too lazy anyway ).

Since that day I never looked back. I just PR and PR and more PR.

I don't see myself as an expert or master in PR, probably never will. But I hope to improve everyday, even if it is just a small bit.

OP Offline

Thanks for sharing your experience YeeSeang. I am glad to hear that you have reactivated the PhotoReading process into your life.

I do intend to master PhotoReading. I know that if I keep working with it everyday - I will succeed in full mastery of the system. Anything we do everyday with a strong intention towards constant improvement - we will master. That is what mastery is all about - regular daily efforts and constant and never ending improvement.

As amazing as the idea of mastery of photoreading might seem, it is nothing compared to the potential that lies within each of us. The human potential is for all practical purposes - INFINITE! Don't be afraid to dream big and to go for it! You can do absolutely anything that you set your mind to with full commitment.

[This message has been edited by livingsuccess (edited January 13, 2004).]

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved