Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
ked Offline

I think babayada that your idea of "truths" or "realities" that the mind cannot overcome is not looking at other philosophies.

For instance, there are those that levitate - defying "gravity" - because they have the mind ability to do so. Also, my body has felt as if I am coming down with a cold many times, but I create the mind state that I won't get sick - and it frequently goes away, if I'm strong enough in my beliefs.

I acquiesce that there are truths which I accept on a daily basis, but human kind is in a stage of evolution which may not be able to see beyond these "truths" or see how we create them. I hope that makes sense. For instance, some people will blow of time travel as impossible. However, even the science of physics has proven that one could travel back in time given the correct instruments.

As far as photoreading, I admit I was skeptic at first and didn't possess the full belief in the system to become very successful. However, it still produced some results because I was willing to TRY it, thus acknowledging there is some possibility it might work. Those results increased my belief and allowed me to reach a higher level of success with photoreading.

Saying that you need to believe that photoreading works is not "mystic" or hurting the system, it is just stating a fact that is frequently overlooked in our world. For instance, we believe, if subconsciously, that we can get up from a chair and start walking - which allows us to do it. Yes there are physical limitations sometimes, such as a disabled person who might not be able to walk; but if that person had strong enough beliefs, he/she would find a way to cure the situation or get up and walk on their own.
Or perhaps the mind doesn't want to move, because it so strongly believes in the physical limitations and has no hope of "fixing" the situation (to many it needs no fixing because nothing is "broken").

My point is that you create your own reality, any spiritual adviser will tell you this, but it is frequently overlooked among many.

The paradox is that once you realize you create your own reality, you will most likely have no desire for change because you will have accepted the present moment and reached a higher level of consciousness.

[This message has been edited by ked (edited April 06, 2004).]

Studies done on Photoreading - Proof that it works?
if u r asking about studies done on photoreading
we must first know what is the basics of photoreading
i think if NLP and hypnosis were proofed from many times that was work for anyone
so photoreading does work because it is a relative for nlp and hypnosis
i am sorry i could nt read the 30 above messages maybe someone did said that be4

Two comments.

You don't have to believe that PR works. HOWEVER, you can't believe it doesn't work. If you have dislief in the viability of something like PR it will hinder your learning it. If you have doubts, then your learning will be impeded. If you mistrust the validity of the PR, then you will not accept and use the teaching of the PRWMS as easily and completely as you a capable.

If it NOT necessary to believe it works. The course asks you to approach the material with and open mind. To use the material with the mind of a beginner, the mind of one seeking not judging.

It is not necessary for you to do this. However, you may have to use the PRWMS a lot longer before you see results if you don't. You don't have to believe it works. However, if you truly approach it with an open mind you will proceed more quickly and smoothly.

If you are doubtful, you can consciously learn all the material, but you are not just dealing with the conscious mind.

Hear and I foget.
See and I remember.
Do and I understand.

People on the forum usually say you have to believe in the system, because that is the easiest way to convey the necessary concept for learning PRWMS. If we used a negative affirmation like "You can't disbelieve that PRWMS works", then as NLP says we would not be helping you. We must be positive. LSC doesn't preach belief in their system. They merely ask you to adopt an open mind when learning and using the system. They leave the choice up to you. So what is your choice?

The second comment is on what is proof?

I studied as a physicist, but I took many math courses from the mathematics department. More than one proof, from upper year math courses, were sent back by a TA saying "this is not a proof". I knew full well that were very acceptable in a physic-math course. So I went out and read up on proofs; even buying a book on proofs. The gist of it is that a proof is an argument that convinces someone of an ascertion. The argument won't convince everyone. If you thing that physical so-called facts will convince people, you should think again. Many people will deny conclusions you or others would accept. You will deny conclusions that others will accept.

I am reminded of a second year differential equations course. We learned to use the Big D operator. If was developed by an engineer; Oliver Heavyside I believe. I made many problems trivial to solve. However, a large portion of the mathematical community dismissed it as invalid because they could not find a mathematical foundation for it. They could not prove it should work. I believe it was over a hundred years before someone discouvered that the Big D operator was a Laplacien transform. Then of course it was more widely accepted.

You can wait until someone comes up with an argument or evidence that will convince you, or you can try and follow the instructions in the PRWMS as best you can and see what happens. I would suggest you revisit the material several times, irregardless of whether you get results on the first time through. There will be material you didn't fully appreciate or use during the first pass.

You are perfection.
Iam2

Hurm.

If something works it works. If it doesn't, then it doesn't.

Is it possible for someone to believe that something doesn't work yet have it work for them and change their system of belief?

In my estimation, yes. I believe there is a reality outside of me and that I must work within its limits. I don't always know what those limits are. When those limits are in conflict with what I believe those limits to be, when I take action I get this thing called feedback from the world. This helps me adjust my beliefs to match reality better and better.

This is why tasking is one of the best ways to instigate belief change.

If photoreading will not work if you believe it doesn't, then it must not be a very robust system.

I don't believe that this is true. I believe that it *will* work for someone even if they don't believe it. The trouble is to get *them* to see that it does.

Put another way: does the belief that photoreading doesn't work absolutely and completely shut down *ALL* faculties of mind involved in the process? If not, then could it be possible that it works just a little, or in some ways?

That is, what is the smallest, most basic faculty of mind that is invovled in photoreading that works on at least a partial level while a person who doesn't believe photoreading will work is photoreading?

If this faculty of mind is at least partially active in the process, couldn't you say that photoreading works, albeit just a little, for someone who believes it can't work? Maybe the trouble is getting this person to perceive that it really is doing something for them.

For photoreading not to work for a non-believer they would have to become totally shut off from all sensory and mental capability ... because *some* info is going to sneak in there somewhere ....

IMO it is not so much an issue of belief as it is an issue of intent. We know the mind acts on suggestion and intent. If someone goes into a Photoreading class with the intent to prove it does not work it is very possible that they will not get it.

Using an NLP example, I read an article in one of my brothers' magazines (I forgot the title) which "proved" that Speed Seduction doesn't work. The reporter went to a bar and used the patterns and failed. His problem, though, was that all he did was memorize canned patterns and did not learn calibration, tonality, rapport, hypnotic language patterns, anchoring, etc. Even worse, he went into the situation with the intent to prove it wrong and that surely showed up in his non-verbal communication and his "energy." In a sense he "hypnotized" himself to fail.

Hurm.

That's what I said, isn't it?

Did you see something that wasn't there? Was your model of the world setting you up to see things a certain way?

I'll suggest that even if the evidence were to present it, that the observer may not notice it or accept it.

Just as likely is that one deludes oneself of a result or that a model is valid.

Consciously accept an argument or an idea is one thing, but integrating it into your world model and using it to direct your interaction with the world is another thing.

BTW Babayada, I kept agreeing with your suppositions as I read them.

----------
Rambling some more.

Not everyone may be as open minded as you are. What one person needs to hear may be of no value to another, and vice versa.

--

I believe in an objective universe. That doesn't mean I'm correct. It also doesn't mean that my limited means for percieving and understanding it won't make it appear as if the universe is conditional, variable, or even subjective.

--

Here's some questions. If everyone works the same way, why do people have different learning styles? Why do people have learning "disabilities"? Why do people like different things?

--

Doesetu, I believe that intent is very important in get good results with PRWMS. Like a cake you have to have many elements present for it to work. Chocolate cake without eggs would be different but it would still be edible. Or forget the flour and you still have something nice and chocolately. I don't like saying what is most important to the PRWMS, since the element you are missing (or gained) will seem like the most important. It may not be the same for the next person. However, some issues do seem to come up again and again. The mechanics of PR are easily worked out. The open mindedness and intent are perhaps the least tangible and probably the ones that the greatest number of people have problems with.

----

Don't get me wrong. I had really good success the very first time I tried it. However, that was over a year after I bought the course. Also, I still wish to improve my experience with the system.

You are perfection.
Iam2

Eh.

I would rather someone ask questions about how I am doing or not doing something and make an intervention on the level of method or strategy than tell me that I just don't believe enough.

For instance, if I were having trouble creating a 3D model in Maya 5.0, and I asked for help ... and the instructor said, "You are having trouble because you do not believe," I would try to get this bozo fired. I expect help on the level of technique. Maybe I do not believe I am the best 3D modeler in the world, but even if I did ... confidence does not equal competence. A person can surprise him or herself. It happens. How does that surprise happen? Because the person perceives they are better at something than they BELIEVED they were.

Belief isn't everything. There is an interplay between belief and capability, it isn't just a top down hierarchical thing. You may discover that your capabilities are more than you believed. This changes your beliefs.

Blah. I am tired of talking about this.

The point is, if an instructor starts yapping about beliefs when he should be focusing on technique ... he isn't a very good instructor. It's easy to say "oh, you just don't believe enough" and often this kind of statement hides incompetence on the part of the instructor. Make a damn intervention and help improve the student. Give the student an experience that clashes with his or her beliefs. That's the way to handle a belief.

A girl I knew *KNEW* she was a poor speller. I taught her the spelling strategy. It worked. She was amazed. Gee, I guess this must have been a fluke because according to the dogma, she must not have been able to perceive the change or use her mental abilities because she believed she couldn't spell .... Nonsense.

If something works, it works. Different people are wired differently, of course. But if the basic system is sound and works with most humans (because we all do have similarities), I don't see why it should be too much of a problem to adapt it to individual styles.

Why the anger?

I didn't see anything in this thread where someone has had told anyone they had to believe.

No confidence isn't competence.

However, I haves see where the lack of confidence has resulted in a reduction of action. And as has been said, the universe rewards action.

I have seen many cases where I'd say confidence was better rewarded than competence. I really wish that this was the case, but that is my observation.

Competence is the capability to do something, not the actual doing.

I've also tried to help many people learn things. Sometimes I'm very successful, other times the integration of the knowledge just doesn't get the results I would expect. other times the results come when everyone just relaxes and let things happen.

That's one of the great things about confidence. People are relax. People have positive expectations.
Just a question. After you thought this girl the spelling strategy. Did she still believe she couldn't spell? After learning the system did her performance vary with her confidence / performance expectation.

Also, do you have a link to this spelling strategy, or any learning to read techniques that work very well for everyone. I really could use this kind of information. Nothing I've ever found works for everyone.

---------

If you're tired. I feel for you. I didn't view this as an argument. Just a sharing of viewpoints. If your views are not the same as mine, that's fine. In fact, that's good. It offers me a chance to explore and grow.

----

If there's no anger in your post, I apologize. However, that's the way I've read it. I've also read it as being directed towards my post. That doesn't bother me. I just feel bad for you. I wish you only health and happiness.

You are perfection.
Iam2

The spelling strategy was the typical NLP spelling strategy. It does not work for everyone but does work for most people.

The person's beliefs did change as a result of the intervention.

As to the rest of your post, I am unsure as to the intentions behind many of your statements. For instance, why the distinction about competence not equaling doing? Competence describes a level of ability in one's actions in a given category. That is, so and so is a very competent surgeon. This means that so and so is very good at surgery, and can demonstrate this skill on a continual, predictable basis. It isn't just capability, it is more specifically descriptive than the word "capability."

[This message has been edited by babayada (edited April 08, 2004).]

What about a student taking responsibility for his or her own learning?

If someone comes into a seminar with the mindset that this is a scam, there’s no way this can work, prove it to me…There may not be anything the most dedicated and qualified instructor can do to change this person’s belief. Instructor’s can teach the techniques, and in many cases change a student's beliefs, but it’s up to the student to use the techniques, in the way they are taught.

To sit back with their arms crossed saying, “I want you to prove it!”, isn’t that person placing all responsibility of their own learning onto someone else? It seems to me they’ve given an instructor total responsibility, that way, if they don’t get it, it’s very easy to blame the instructor, or the techniques…they couldn’t teach me, therefore it doesn’t work!

I like the story about the girl who thought she was a poor speller. She took responsibility for her situation. As taught in the Abundance for Life course, which is about creating what you want, she asked for help, was taught a strategy, she used it, and it worked! She held herself accountable for becoming a good speller. She didn’t say, prove it works, and then I’ll try it.

Just a thought

: )

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved