Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
OP Offline

Hi everyone, I was just wondering if anyone has done speed reading and has tried photo reading and can tell me the pros and cons of both techniques. I have tried speed reading myself, but I am unsure of the results that photoreading claims to provide. So if anyone can provide me with any input that would be greatly appreciated!

quote:
I have tried speed reading myself, ...

Could you tell us about your experiences with speed reading?

OP Offline

Sure thing, for me speed reading did in fact improve my reading speed, but after speed reading my eyes would get extremely tired and as for comprehension, I would like to understand more or get more out of what I speed read. That is why I have posted my message here, to see if anyone has tried speed reading and have also tried photo reading as well.

I have. Speed reading didn't work that well for me. I bought the books by Tony Buzan and the Evelyn Wood program and applied the techniques. I didn't get much out of any of the techniques in the way of comprehension.

I do apply the techniques I learned from those books to Photoreading in the activation stage, especially if I'm rapid reading.

I'm sure the Buzan and Wood methods work well for some people but Photoreading is what finally got me to where I wanted to be.

OP Offline

When you say "rapid reading", does that refer to speed reading of some sort? Because I wouldn't want to purchase a product that's similar to speed reading. Hey Scribe, since you've tried speed reading and you said that it didn't work for you, what have you learned from photoreading that you failed to learn with speed reading?

ked Offline

I also tried Evelyn Woods, and still reap the benefits from that program. However, PhotoReading is so much more different, complete, better, etc. You cannot achieve the entire whole mind experience without PhotoReading and the better you get, the higher and higher speeds you can obtain.

My favorite part about PhotoReading, as compared to Evelyn Woods, is that it is so holistic. It seems so natural, once you understand the system and seems with your mind; instead of being a technique that forces your mind to strain itself.

Do consider photoreading, it's not "another" speed reading course - it's a READING course in general, one that should be taught from a young age, because it is truly how I believe our brains are meant to learn.

What I can apply from Evelyn Woods are some of the study and time-managment techniques for school (which are very similar to the PR ones). As well, learning to subvocalize can help while Rapidreading, or it can help you understand the concept of Superreading and Dipping more quickly. As well, learning to focus your mind and not regress in your reading is important, but Photoreading stresses that as well.

The PR course includes everything and is not as stringent as Evelyn Woods, but is more playful and encouraging. I highly recommend it over any other speed reading course.

Rapid Reading is the final step of the process when you feel like you want more from the book you just Photoread and Activated. It's not always necessary.

The technique given for the RR step in the Photoreading book is to skim your eyes along the words slowing down when you find something of interest, speeding up when you hit something simplistic or familiar.

Essentially, Rapid Reading techinques are all that I got out of the previous speed reading books I mentioned. I would say that RR is the most "speed reading" like part of Photoreading. But Photoreading is a lot more than just Rapid Reading or traditional speed reading.

With speed reading I never felt like I really understood or could put to use what I was reading. I felt like I was reading words but I wasn't able to comprehend the ideas behind them. With Photoreading I feel just the opposite. After the initial steps of the process, (Preview, Photoread, Postview) I feel like I have the ideas but I'm not sure exactly how to put them in words or make use of them. Then after I Activate (step 4) and/or Rapid Read (optional step 5) everything gels and I really understand the material.

quote:
Hey Scribe, since you've tried speed reading and you said that it didn't work for you, what have you learned from photoreading that you failed to learn with speed reading?

As far as techniques go, I failed at speed reading because I still had to go back and regular read everything I had sped read. I didn't see an improvement in speed or comprehension so I gave up. With Photoreading I was able to see improvement in my reading speed and comprehension immediately and it got better the more that I used it.

Subjectwise, I've learned a lot with Photoreading. There was a gap of a few years between my attempts at speed reading and my Photoreading so I didn't apply both techniques to the same material.

I'm in the minority here in that I didn't use the self-study course or the live seminar to learn Photoreading. I saw the book at the bookstore and picked it up.

Learning Strategies Admin
Learning Strategies Admin

I also learnt speed reading. Had a relatively high reading speed of 340 wpm and did the Mega Speed Reading course... in the end my speed was just on average of 250wpm... yep lost speed tried like the devil to get it back up.

Found PhotoReading and the idea that I could finish 3 books in the time that it took me to finish one sold me. Only to discover it gets even better than that

Rapid Reading... imagine a kayak on a river... some parts are slow others are fairly fast and others you definately don't have time to look at the scenery you're moving to fast. What dictates the speed is the section of river you are on. That's rapid reading... like crusing down a river reading the book from cover to cover (or chapter from beginning to end). Your speed varies according to how the imformation moves you.

Alex

OP Offline

Have someone really achieved reading 1 million words per minute? I mean that's pretty amazing, I understand that if I were to try it, it would be difficult to attain 1 million words per minute. I want to know what would be the reading speed of an average photo reader because i'm sure not every one who photoreads can read 1 million words per minute!

Thanks to all those who helped me by giving very detailed and thoughtful inputs, I appreciate it very much.

OP Offline

Sorry I may have made a mistake, was it 25,000 words per minute? I apologize for that, I also read about the posts on lucid dreaming, perhaps that's why I recalled 1 million words per minute. So the question still applies to 25,000 words per min, thanks!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved