Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

As far as I know, the fastest conscious reading speed is 2000wpm. So if you break that to something like 5000, what is it then? Semi-photoreading? Qaurter-photoreading?

Learning Strategies Admin
Learning Strategies Admin

I hate to rain on anyones parade but the fastest possible reading speed is a little over 300 wpm according to Berkley University, measuring the eyejumps. Courts have ruled that the fastest speed is 800wpm anything after that is no longer considered reading.

Rhythmic perusal will get you to speeds of about 600 wpm.

Anything higher is considered skimming. One needs to develop a good skill of dumping unimportant information and recognising what is important when we start pushing speeds over 800wmp. A byproduct of speed reading is poor retention. Because of the speeds going over the material the conscious mind does not move it into long term memory so while you can demonstrate good recall and comprehension just after reading most is forgotten because it is not placed into long term memory. PhotoReading places the information into our long term memory first that's why we have good long term memory of what we have PhotoRead. I'm still astounded by the fact that my memory from books I've PhotoRead is far greater than my memory gained from the old method of regular reading. (not speed reading).

Conscious reading really will not excede 800wpm due to the limited ability of the conscious mind. Remember the conscious mind has the ability to handle 5 plus or minus 2 bits of information per second. Using that figure you will note that the best reading speed is 540wpm. 9bits x 60sec(1 minute) = 540wpm

That said much of what is written in a text is superficial filler or long winded explainations

page turning of books will limit a PhotoReader to about 58,000wpm

Computer screens we are getting toward the 1 million mark (limited by the refresh rate)

693,000wpm 75% comprehension has already been recorded. That's PhotoReading not word for word reading. If we try to bring it back to our conscious comprehension with the conscious minds limitied maximum of 9 bits of information per second. We'd be at it for a few days considering out mind likes to get distracted by mumdane things like meal breaks, and other distractions.

The real point is the information is there it's a matter of prioity what we want to know consciously so if you can zoom over the words in a book superreading at 3000 to 6000 wpm my advise is don't slow down for what you already know you know and don't need to know consciously right now. You mind has already recognised it during PhotoReading again through superreading and dipping and if you need it in the future the book is there for the review, but time stops for no one.

So when you PhotoRead a book at 25,000wpm and get the feeling you don't need to read this, you already know it or wow this book I've got to read... You've way ahead of someone who is painstakingly reading every word the author wrote, you've prioritised your time.

Alex

[This message has been edited by Alex K. Viefhaus (edited May 13, 2004).]

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved