Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#41943 06/04/04 07:15 PM
OP Offline

I've found that doing simple calculations mentally while PR'ing really helps me focus and not be as distracted

does anyone have any other relaxation exercises they use to induce the flow state other than the 3..2..1 relaxation method?

finally if I am going to PR a book on how the mind works can my purpose be as simple as "to generate a base of understanding in the interworkings of the mind" or must it be more specific?

#41944 06/05/04 04:11 AM
Learning Strategies Admin

I just love those academic phrases.
"to generate a base of understanding in the interworkings of the mind" ... so that I can? What you going to do with the information, What aspect of that statement is going to have the most importance when it comes to activation?

So tell me 'professor' if you handed me a book and said that would you be surpised if I said, "Huh? What exactly is it you want me to know? AND Why?????"

What if you had to explain it to a 5 year old what you wanted to know... what would you say?

If the book is titled How the Mind Works.

I am photoreading this book... so that I can... understand more of how the mind works and apply this knowledge... to help make learning easier for me, help me understand why people behave the way they do, perhaps overcome this useless habit of mine.

Believe me you have a real reason for wanting to read the book and finding out how the mind works, finding and understanding it is what you need to do.

Try asking yourself... If I find this information what can I do with it that is useful to me in my life? That might help you get a grip on your purpose. Once you get that grip you'll notice the difference.

Alex

#41945 06/05/04 06:56 PM
OP Offline

i'm going to be studying this in grad school so I felt now I can begin to accumulate a foundational understanding of the subject before I actually begin
during school devising my purpose will be much more simple (to be ready for class, to do well on a test, to write a paper, etc.); right now I have no such obligations so that is where I was having difficulty creating a sound purpose

#41946 06/07/04 11:45 PM

Purpose is usually there it's identifying it that gives us trouble.

Read a book... Why? It's summer, surfs up, hang out with friends while one is *not* working and there is more interesting stuff to do that I can think of so why read a book?

To gain knowledge.

To gain knowledge about what?

This thing... What will that knowledge do for you...

It will help me do this, understand that; with this knowledge I'll be able to...

So ultimately purpose is... so that I can...

Alex

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved