Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#42176 07/29/04 06:50 AM
Learning Strategies Admin

Okay. You are still looking at Brainwaves as being in a straight line which is the reason why you find it difficult to understand that Alpha is suppressed during PhotoReading.

So lets look at a couple of basic concepts that we generall can agree one

One; Brainwaves are just measurements of Frequencies that are being put (played) by the brain.

Two 'CDEFGABC' are the letters given to frequencies on a musical scale (AKAs notes). When you hit one note it resonates at a certain Frequecy.

Making music;
Music is created by the silence between notes. Which are hit in a rhythm. It's not necessary to play the notes in accending or decending order because the silence between the notes create the music. In a given piece the G note may never be played (it could be said to be suppressed) and the absence of this note creates the rather unique melody.

The Brain Frequencies;
The brain plays frequencies similar to a musical instrument. All frequecies are is vibrations at a measurable range on a scale.

The active brain puts out frequencies Alpha, Beta, Theta Delta (in the order of discovery) frequencies like huming(playing) a tune that coincides with certain mental and physical activities. In the melody (mental and physical activity) of the PhotoReading Step itself, the alpha frequency is not hummed.

Does that make it easier to understand?

As already mentioned I have come across data that points to additional brainwave frequencies. Ephilon Gamma and Lamda. (making a total of 7 Brainwave frequecies.)

An interesting co-relation when think about it... 7 colours in a rainbow, 7 notes in a muscial scale, and so far 7 (3 still being researched) brainwave frequencies.

Alex

[This message has been edited by Alex K. Viefhaus (edited July 29, 2004).]

#42177 07/30/04 11:38 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Alex K. Viefhaus:

As for music becoming an anchor. Yes it happens quite often. Reseach has shown that students who habitually listen to radio or music (rock and roll or whatever) have greater difficutly in the classroom simply because the music is absent. They know they learned their stuff but are unable to bring it back out in a classroom or exam because they anchored it with music.

Alex

Alex,

I read you as implying that studying,
photoreading, etc. to any kind of music
will only make it difficult to recall
the information later? I usually listen
to classical music to relax me as I study
or read.

Is this information in one of the books?
I may have read it already but missed it.

I am especially enjoying this thread. Your
explanations are interesting and helpful.

Gianni

#42178 07/30/04 03:01 PM

The information actually showed up in a couple of research papers on research documentation sites I encountered on the web.

Yes it can create an anchor. If you find it easier to study with classical music than without then yes you have an anchor. That may not be a bad thing when it comes to later recall. Since classical music is usually just music no vocals you can anchor what you study to the melodies themselves.

Not all student who listened to rock and roll music have trouble with recalling what they studies. It was found that they had a strong memory for the music that was played and simply recalled that in their mind when it came to recalling the information.

If you can recreate the sound during an exam you will be able to fire the anchor that you created whilst studying. The problem with bringing it into the classroom is it's generally not the type of environment created in the classroom.

Research has also shown that baroque type music is good for studying, it helps to maintain the Accelerative Learning State.

Classical seems to fall into the some of it is okay but others is not. If it pulls your attention, then even baroque would create an anchor.

There is another important factor to consider when it comes to playing music whilst you are studying. What is your learning style.

The real point is if you create an anchor like listening to a certain type of music while you are studying, you want to be able to remember the pieces you were listening to when you need to recall the information, or be able to hear the music again. So if your learning style does not require music... there is no need to create a potential anchor.

Some links that might be of interest. http://www.linkstew.org/noid/1660.html http://clearinghouse.mwsc.edu/manuscripts/304.asp

Like with all research data involving humans there are so many variables that can make any reseach null and void. I have seen other papers that indicate that the volume of music plays a role. How about classical music that is played too loud?

Also most of the research are arrived at by tests/exam scores. At what point have we got enough numbers to determine whether we found the base line?

We are humans and most everything we do is somehow anchored. One of the anchoring techniques is repetition.

Alex

#42179 08/13/04 06:27 AM

Alex;

I thought that was a great explaination of brain waves. Where would one find the info on Ephilon, Gamma & Lamda research being done? With 7 wave lengths maybe there is a new music on the horizon.

Thanks

Jeff

#42180 08/13/04 09:35 AM

Dr Jeffrey Thompson is one researching Ephilon and Gamma (he producted the Brainwave suite set of CDs) along with a few others.

Alex

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved