Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#42636 10/03/04 07:26 PM
OP Offline

KWLee/Anyone,

I'm an Accounting Major and I've recently scoured the PhotoReading (PR) archive and have not seen any post(s) that completely answered the following:

Has anyone used the PR system to successfully achieve and maintain a GPA of 3.5 or better in college? If so, What strategies/plan of action did you use during the start, middle and end of the the semester to achieve this outcome?

Please specify exactly what you did.

Thx in advance,

Web

#42637 10/04/04 01:36 AM

WebCrawler2010, I've read most of the archive myself and I don't recall anyone making a post like that.

I do know of person that used PRWMS on his professional certification course in a financial (accounting area). I can't recall his exact handle it was Dan, but it may have and something else on it. I know he used PRWMS on everything he studied. He was very please with is results. He's posted some of his experiences on the forum.

His practice is exactly as described in the book for technical material.

You are perfection.
Iam2

#42638 10/04/04 03:47 AM
Learning Strategies Admin

You are talking to an international audience.

KWLee went to Cambridge England where GPA means nothing

On the other hand he ranked a first in his second year and was rewarded with a scholarship bonus and finished with honours last year.

His method was to plan his reviews before the exams, stick to his timetable. Yes he PhotoRead and activated the required textbooks and then some.

The study process wasn't only about PhotoReading it also included other ideas.

He got active with mind mapping and for his dissertation he applied syntopic reading after PhotoReading a heck of a lot of books on the subject. I had to tell him to cut it down and focus on the subject he was getting too much information for the limit of the paper and had to cull it a good deal. His abundance of PhotoReading gave him too much information and too many angles for the paper. After discussing it with me on many occasions I reminded him again to make a focus and stick with that and apply syntopic reading. When he did he got about four A3 pages and taped them together. He was appalled at the idea when I told him to do that but gave up in the end. The Librarians felt sorry for him for the amount of work he appeared to be doing but he told me he was having a great time and it made the writing of the dissertation a whole lot easier.

To determine what he should do his disseration on he ran an image stream. I was involved somehow but have to admit I wasn't fully paying attention. In the end he ran the Image stream by my and I asked him questions. He came up with an interesting subjec.

In preparation for the exams I had him run image streams by me on each of the subjects to guage how well he was doing in them.

We used a doors method. Asked the questions for each subject and I numbered them 1 to 4 at random. There was no way he could guess what number I gave what since he was in England and I was in Australia. I also hid the questions from myself by folding all the papers then shuffling them before numbering them.

He ran image streams told me what he got and I asked him to tell me what he thought each one was telling him before revealing to him which subject he was answering. This gave me clear cues of which subject he was weak in and needed to devote more time to reviewing.

Most of all I would say he applied discipline to his learning. When he created a timetable for review he stuck with it and sometimes that meant catching up when he got side tracked or spent too long with another area.
He did what it took for him to get the results he desired.

In other words find your target then work toward it. That means you need to be disciplined to use the skills that you have, stick to a timetable and do what is necessary during the alloted time. Don't kid yourself that you are studying just because you are at your computor with a chat going while you are downloading the right MP3 for studying with. Or just reading the forum on how to PhotoRead better there comes a time you need to take action and apply what you learn.

Alex

[This message has been edited by Alex K. Viefhaus (edited October 03, 2004).]

#42639 10/04/04 04:32 PM

I am an American didn't use it for college, but did use it for studying for my exams for licensing in investments. Series 6, 63 & 26 were the exams I took.

I scanned the book numerous times and then buckled down and crammed the old fashioned way for a about a week and then VERY intensely for a weekend and passed the 63.

I used Photoreading for just one weekend for the 6 and scored 10 points higher on that exam.

I did the same on the 26, one weekend and really never even activated the last third of that study manual. Passed that one too.

I'm the only one I know of besides one other; and I've questioned quite a few with Masters Degrees and even years of experience around financial services; that did as "little" and in so short a period of time and passed all three without weeks or months of study and/or getting the "experience" of the exam numerous times before passing.

Also took a course in another subject that was basically 72 hours worth of rote memorization in order to pass the exam. It REALLY required nothing more than literal word for word recall for a perfect score.

Used Photoreading and the "Memory Optimizer" tape to pass and with a well above average grade. (Top 20% of the class).

Really cool to just there with my eyes closed and and practice relaxing and then let the pharses "float up to the surface". I got so excited by this that I couldn't calm myself down enough to get the last couple of words that would have put me in the top 10%!

I would say it works and works well. Also that if you use it for college work it should work great.

My biggest prolem is disciplining myself to do it regularly enough since. I'd really like to be able to breeze through stuff the way Pete Bisonette did on TV. I can't do that although I can't see why our mind wouldn't be capable of doing it if we would just "have fun with it" and alow ourselves to do that.

Coming from a Technical/Engineering background which is similar but not exactly parallel to the sometimes more linear Accounting mindset (no offense intended)can cause us to limit our abilities.

Compare the concepts of Mind-mapping, image streaming, use of the "creative side of the mind and other "free" association skills we are encouraged to develop with the "Rules (of accounting, etc)", "Formulae", "Parameters (for design)" "Laws (of Physics or Finance)" that are ingrained in us in order to say we are knowledgeable in a field. They're great but do tend to cause us to follow certain paths or patterns of thinking even when it isn't neccesary or even could be counter-productive to our real objective.

Side points: 2 stories that show how this creative connectivity is useful for success in even technical or more rigid pursuits come to mind. 1 real and 1 just for fun.

I don't remember the name of the researcher. But her father was in love with bees and filled their house with books on bees. Even his children's rooms were used for the storage of the volumes.

The daughter grew up reading and perusing the tomes with little but more than a passing interest in them. Much less even the thought that the info would be useful to her some day.

She grew to be a research mathematician. (actually a much more creative endeavor than one would imagine when we think of 1 + 1, but more on that later ). Her field of focus was something called 6-dimensional geometry and she was working on several different figures / problems without progress.

Long story short, the patterns started to become familiar to her. She eventually made the jump and connected them to the bees. The bees actually used 6-dimensional geometry in their dances to communicate with one another! She was then instrumental in helping to decipher the "code" they used tell each other where to go, in which direction and how far in order to find the food sources they were after. (Heard this on Science Friday on NPR a few years back, think it was also written up in Discover Magazine)

2) The Vice-president of Finance for the company I work for gave this humorous story about how he got his job.

When going through the final interviews for the position 3 (including himself) were seated in an outer office waiting to be called in turn. The first went in and came out rather quickly and dismayed at losing the position so handily after only being asked one question. He even said as he left: "He only asked one question!?!"

The second entered when called and followed the same pattern, uttering "He only asked me one question too?!".

Harvey, our current VP than said he asked the obvious, "What question?" The dejected graduate said: " 'What is 1 + 1?'"

"What did you say?", Harvey replied. "2, of course and then I was told that my services would not be required at this time but my resume would be kept on file." , the man said as he left the office.

In trepidation Harvey entered for his chance at the position. As he sat the man behind the desk asked the dreaded yet seemingly innocuous question: "What is 1 + 1?"

In desperation and without conscious validation of the process Harvey answered: "Whatever you want it to be." The interviewer smiled and said "Welcome to our company."

Hope you enjoyed those.

Anyway it would seem that the General to Specific pattern that Photoreading recommends would be the logical one to follow.

Use the entire process of Photoreading the texts early to get the info in there. Then allow the letures and the assignments help activate the material.

Doing the assignments individually using the entire system again would sound the info down even more so. Final review for exams would probably include Photoreading notes as well as the text books.

Stressing and worrying will impede you getting the info in or getting it out when you need it. Consistency (in using the process - builds confidence if nothing else. You won't allow yourself to get the 3.5 if you feel inside you don't deserve it, because of not having done the work) Relaxation exercises, sleep, affirmations, fasciantion and fun with the material you're learning will without a doubt get you that 3.5 or better! If you choose to and let yourself do it.

Hope this is helpful.
DanR

#42640 10/04/04 04:44 PM

Final thoughts, don't lock yourself into a do this 1st, then this 2nd, then this 3rd mentality. It's a system not really a recipe.

Skill in it's use only comes by the actual doing of the process and adapting to what works.

Do what makes sense to you in using the system to accomplich you're goals. Keeping the goals and not the process as your focus. You won't get bogged down and will be more successful.

DanR

#42641 10/05/04 12:55 AM
OP Offline

WOW!!!

Iam, Alex & DanR,

Thanks immensely for your thorough and informative replies. You'se guys most definitely rock.

Be well,

Web

#42642 10/05/04 10:04 AM

Please tell me, what means"make a focus and stike with that apply syntopic reading "?

#42643 10/06/04 02:35 PM

I was telling KWLee to stop speading his engery and reading everything. To focus on something, make a decision and then do it. The had a lack of a real purpose other than needing to write a dissertation he had not decided what to focus on for it.

Alex

#42644 10/08/04 12:35 PM

I don't know if this is what you're looking for but I hope it is helpful.

Synoptic reading wasn't meant to just ingest everything on a subject from multiple books.

As someone said: "The mind is the ultimate goal seeking machine." In other words, give the mind a focus and it will find a way to achieve that purpose. That is why we state our purpose before photo reading after getting into state.

Our focus in synoptic reading could be to identify the main prinicples or the foundation of the subject under study. Or to ferret out the issues that are under dispute within a field of study. To understand the contrasting viewpoints. In KWLee's situation it was finding a suitable subject for a dissertation.

If we don't 'focus or direct our energy on a specific purpose' as Alex brought out, we will not accomplish anything and will find frustration as the result of our efforts. Channel the energy along a smaller, acheivable line and we will find beneficial results.

My Dad used to say; "A drop of water wears a rock away." But not if sprayed all over the place. It must be focused on a specific point and consistently applied for the results to be acheived.

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved