Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
OP Offline

I've been photoreading for some time now, and this experience has been great.

I've been using iMusic while photoreading, studying and doing my writing, and the effects have been tremendous. I feel much sharper and more attune at all times, even when not using it.

Have any of you used iMusic Volume One? I fully recommend it, and would be interested in hearing how well it has helped other people.

The learning centre at my school put me onto it, but there is a site for it.
http://www.imusicseries.com

On a side note, I have been trying to figure out what to be for Halloween, and have a few ideas, but am still looking for something truly inspired. I have a good muscular build and am tall, so I can pull off superheroes well, I was The Punisher last Halloween, but I want to go another route. Hmmm...

researchguy,

I ordered imusic on the 19th of this month.
I should be receiving it today.

Yes that is good for you but the problem is that I am deaf and cannot hear the music.

Unfortunately.

OP Offline

I read that even if you are deaf, the vibrations will still follow through your ears... I think I read this on the FAQ page at imusicseries.com

Take a look.

Whiteeagle:

You will still be able to benefit from the CD's. Eventho you can hear the music and the underlying beat frequencies, the ear drum will still vibrate at the desired frequency, that in turn will be converted to electrical pulses that will be send straight to the brain, then the brain will match the vibration signal. Your eardrum act as a transducer that converts sound pressure into electrical signals that is sent to the brain. The the brain interpret those signals.
So, Yes! you can benefit from the use.

Please excuse my typos, I'm thinking faster than I type, and I type pretty fast.

You will still be able to benefit from the CD's. Eventho you can't hear the music and the underlying beat frequencies, the ear drum will still vibrate at the desired frequency, that in turn will be converted to electrical pulses that will be send straight to the brain, then the brain will match the vibration signal. Your eardrum act as a transducer that converts sound pressure into electrical signals that is sent to the brain. Then the brain will interpret/process those signals.
So, Yes! you can benefit from the use.

OP Offline

Wow, I bought iMusic because of this posting and I must say it is awesome. Thanks for telling us about it. I am truly loving the focused feeling... I feel so smart when I use to write essays and study.

On another note, I've made great progress with the pegging memory system, while using it in conjunction with iMusic. A great Tandem.

Rover

OP Offline

Great to hear--- iMusic has been working wonders for me as well. I just got an email that Volume 2 is available. www.imusicseries.com/v2

I checked it... and I'm definetly snatching one up.

On a side note, I ended up being John Kerry for Halloween... lets see if it turns out good for him.

EVERYBODY VOTE TODAY!

Hi there

Isnt it strange that only two weeks after Volume 1 is released Volume 2 gets released? When can we expect to see volume 3 then?

Whats the difference between Vol 1 and 2? They seem to do alot of the same things.

OP Offline

Well, from what I've read Vol.1 is focused on learning, studying, and improving intelligence, where as vol.2 is for creativity, designing, etc. Creative thought vs. Logical Thought... Opposites on the same spectrum.

In what sense is it strange? I'm not disagreeing with you, I just don't know what you mean.

Well I bought iMusic after reading some of yours posts and I have been using it for about a week. But honestly I cannot feel the big difference. I tried to use it low noise in class today, but no major shift. I've used 1.2, but my mind sometimes wonders as it does without listening to iMusic. I've been using 1.3 when doing doing some technical stuff, but it did not help very much either.

Then suddenly I see that Volume 2 is out - I wonder... hmm... another 90 bucks... yeah sure.

OP Offline

I find this hard to believe... the number of people I've used this with over the last week and a half or so are skying from it. Never mind my own extremely positive experiences.

I would ensure that you are playing it loudly enough, and ensure you are doing it in conjunction with the right tasks.

Good luck to you

Well in class I had to have it low-noise, but I was also told that it would work low-noise.

Hard to believe... yeah... hard to believe that I paid 90 bucks for this.

I actually wrote volition and asked them if it was ok to just listen to it, just to relax, and I got an email back that said:

"Indeed it is best to use iMusic for the types of tasks specified (reading, studying). Otherwise
you are not facilitating the state change."

"If you want to sit and think, we recommend bringing a note pad to write down
your ideas, while using Volume 1.1 or 1.2."

So yes I am sure that I am doing it in conjunction with the right task.

OP Offline

wow man, you are totally missing out then

I think using it to listen in class is a low return activity-- while you will be better off with it, the huge change for me happens when I am studying, writing and reading. There is a reason why it doesn't say "for listening" on the box...

Honestly, use disc one while reading/learning and there is no way you won't feel in the zone.

And don't let your negativity get in the way-- you seem to have a "blame everyone else" attitude. Just cause it didn't work for you doesn't mean you abandon it. Figure out what you are doing wrong. Trouble shoot.

Take responsibility to use it right. Not trying to be critical, just trying to get you to realize the benefits I've experienced I am on your side here.

Keep us posted! I've got my super hyper kid brother even using it to great effect-- it is funny, I play it while he does homework and you can observe the huge change in his focus and attentiveness... but I've yet to tell him about it. He'll catch on soon

Cheers-
RG

researchguy,

Do you use headphones to listen to the discs?
There are three disc, isn't it confusing to determine which disc to use between building knowledge in any subject (disc 1) which I think is studying, and (disc 2) which volition says to use for memory intensive studying? I have the disc, but can't choose between 1 & 2. I'm studying for the CCNA certification which is building knowledge but, on the same token, I'm studying and need to remember the theory and concept. What do you think? Thanks.

OP Offline

You use disc 1 for more reading, while disc 2 is if you are studying/memorizing... which would be reading it over and over, repeating in your head. I think having it nice and loud ups the effect for me. Headphones don't seem to improve it, but if you can have it louder through the headphones, than this is a good thing.

You said that you used it for photoreading, can you explain this?

Which disc did you use and what about activating?

OP Offline

I used iMusic Volume One disc 1 for activating... wow, what a difference it makes.

My mind is so focused and is creating connections with the material a mile a minute when I use it.

I hope you make progress.

quote:
Originally posted by researchguy:
I used iMusic Volume One disc 1 for activating... wow, what a difference it makes.

My mind is so focused and is creating connections with the material a mile a minute when I use it.

I hope you make progress.

I will give it a try tomorrow. Do you listen to 1.2 when photoreading then ?

OP Offline

Yeah, Volume 1.2 puts you in a high alpha low beta brain state, so you could use it for the photoreading step... however I like to enter a deeper mid-alpha state for photoreading.

If you have a hard time entering alpha then use it

Researchguy,

You wouldn't by any chance be affiliated in any way with the producers of these products?

I know for a fact that some companies send out people to various forums in order to fish for potential consumers, spurring discussions, making claims about the product, etc. More often than not, what is claimed is not based on truth. Sometimes the fishers haven't even used the products they're hawking, but that doesn't stop them from saying they have and have gotten *AMAZING* results.

Not very ethical, is it?

[This message has been edited by babayada (edited November 05, 2004).]

Learning Strategies Admin

The PhotoReading state has little to no Alpha, so any entrainment that focuses on that is not going to work. Fortunately PhotoFocus puts you in the right brainwave state.

PhotoReading is Low Beta high Theta.

Alex

OP Offline

Right-- low alpha high theta is what I like. But to say you are producing little to no alpha is very misleading. A person in a theta state still has alot of alpha brainwaves.

I agree with Alex.

Alex-

But when you mention low beta and high theta, this means you are not in a dominant state. You have high 12-14 Hz brainwaves and high 6-7 Hz brainwaves.

Are you sure this is what you meant?

Thanks for the post Alex.

Babbayadda, sure, I represent LSC and iMusic and John Kerry-- you're very sharp, you can't be tricked at all Well, it would be nice if I did anyway.

It was simply a question, Researchguy.

It looked like you might have been fishing for the company.

If you're not, great. If you are, then shame on you for not being up front.

quote:
Originally posted by researchguy:
Right-- low alpha high theta is what I like. But to say you are producing little to no alpha is very misleading. A person in a theta state still has alot of alpha brainwaves.

I agree with Alex.

Alex-

But when you mention low beta and high theta, this means you are not in a dominant state. You have high 12-14 Hz brainwaves and high 6-7 Hz brainwaves.

Are you sure this is what you meant?

Thanks for the post Alex.

Babbayadda, sure, I represent LSC and iMusic and John Kerry-- you're very sharp, you can't be tricked at all Well, it would be nice if I did anyway.

Yep, Absolutely. Saw the brain scans of a number of individuals PhotoReading, Paul Scheele's and rank beginners in the PhotoReading process. During the PhotoReading there is little to no Alpha. It initially surprised Paul but then when he thought about it, it made perfect sense. During PhotoReading we don't want the conscious mind interfering for best non conscious processing it would logically be Theta activity. The low Beta wave can probably be explained by the fact that we are physically moving when we turn the pages.

Alex

OP Offline

Alex,

But this does not mean that this state you are referring too, is the perfect state for the activity.

The method of determining this is a much more intensive process than that which you speak of, wouldn't you agree?

That is the perfect state and the one the brain naturally falls into when PhotoReading.

Hundreds of people have been hooked up to an IBVA to confirm this. It is trigger by photofocus.

Alex

OP Offline

Without looking into it further-- the perfect state would be a high dominant theta brainwave.

The beta spike is because of the page turning (according to you) and is counter-productive.

I think if they had iMusic to create a dominant theta state, this would be perfect for photo-reading.

The brain gets there faster with PhotoReading than the music often pans into it. Merely going into photofocus and the high Theta brainwave pattern appears.

I have listened to Theta entrainment music whilst working at the computer reading and writing because I was tired and needed to finish the work. Naturally after 15 minute of listening I was able to stop and 10 minutes later was more alert. However during the listening the tiredness was more pronounced.

Tiredness after PhotoReading has hit a few people. This is the result of having gone into high Theta which is usually the forgotten dreams and self healing state.

Beta is not detrimental, it stops us from PhotoReading ourselves into a nap

Alex

You guys should check out Centerpointe Research Institute's Holosync. I think it is the same technology but I think it has further reaching capabilities for overall growth of the mind. I have been using it for about two years now and it rocks. it is also pretty close with the Monroe Institutes Hemisync. They are all based on the Frequency following response, But I think that what Centerpointe does with their technology is further reaching, check out Hemisync also they have tons of different applications.

I suppose what is being said here is that you don't need external devices to get you where you want to go.

Too bad for people selling products.

On a discussion board for Salvia Divinorum (a plant used by Mexican Indian healers), one of the guys who had investigated the plant for a very long time said that even the curanderos believed that you did not need the divinatory plants when you knew where to go with your awareness. The plant served to initially show the way.

I think, quite naturally, we can access states of awareness and performance without outside help--without the risk of something that may end up becoming a costly crutch.

Well put babayada I totally agree with you there but it still is cool that we have gained the knowledge to consistantly direct our awareness with technology so that others who can't, can learn.

The fact is that it doesn't require devices and even beginners achieve this brainwave pattern in mere seconds.

What you do often you become better at, what you become better at becomes habit.

Alex

Unfortunately, this just isn't true. The perfect state is hard to achieve and come to know well. You guys are making these tools sound like cheating via steroids

Here is a good site about EEG training: http://www.eegspectrum.com/

Something tells me that no one hear is a perennial top achiever who has hit their peak... so why shun self improvement tools?

Centrepointe has been selling the same crap for over a decade. Crap? Well one thing I have learned over the last several weeks is binaural beats is old technology that is highly ineffective, especially when you look at the new stuff. You need headphones for an effect, and you have to sit there and focus on the music and pretty much "veg" for it to work. Oh, and it costs thousands of dollars to go through this step by step thing??!!

Ahhh, I agree with the others when they say iMusic is where it's at.

Anyhow, it seems we have a group of incumbents forming here. And surprisingly, the most unlikely of people are not embracing new ways to improve the mind.

Hmmmm... any thoughts?

Peak/perfect state for what?

I don't think that there is one state that is appropriate for all goals and all contexts.

What in one culture is considered a peak achiever may be considered a pathological mess in another.

By implication, your argument seems to state that those who are not interested in iMusic are a) neophobes, b) underachievers, and c) closed minded.

Of course, you're wrong.

Participating in these forums should be evidence enough of an individual's interest in self-improvement and various means by which one may attain self-improvement.

As for the whole theta, delta, beta, and brain synchrony thing, as far as I have seen these are very clumsy terms and our current methods of brainwave entrainment to create peak states are rather primitive.

It isn't just that he brain is creating delta waves, or gamma waves, or what have you. You have an entire, mysterious organ whose functioning we haven't even begun to comprehend on a deep level.

One of the recent findings was that some peak states involve asynchronous activity in the brain. Studies have shown by using magnetic radiation to shut down certain parts of the brain that savant-like activity can emerge. So, it's not having all the brain synchronized or in a certain brainwave pattern, but also having certain parts shutting down while others have increased activity.

Honestly, the brain and it's activity is more complex than just "beta," "alpha," etc. These are just blanket terms, overgeneralizations. They don't really say much. Because I was curious, I read a good amount about EEGs, and one particular author said that the terms for brainwaves are misleading, that the *actual* activity of the brain is so complex, that they had to overgeneralize about it just so that they could talk about what is going on. This shows you how much we don't know and upon how much ignorance these entrainment products are based.

People have been improving their performance for years without this technology, and I am skeptical as to what benefits the technology does create for an individual. How many double-blind studies have been done with iMusic CDs?

Looks to me like it's just another company grabbing loosely related scientific evidence, globbing it together, and saying that their product is supported by scientific studies.

Also, it's worthy of noting that using entrainment devices is NOT the same as using biofeedback. There is a BIG difference between the two, namely the feedback part. Biofeedback creates an awareness of activity in yourself and creates a loop in which more information about the self is available. It's like acquiring a new sense. This in and of itself can be self improving.

Entrainment technologies do not provide that information channel, and thus their effects can not really be comparable to biofeedback. Using the results of biofeedback to support claims about entrainment CDs is misleading. But, hey, who cares when you're out to sell overpriced products to willing consumers?

[This message has been edited by babayada (edited November 12, 2004).]

I am personally a fan of entrainment devices. I've owned a light and sound device since early 1990. I view music like iMusic, Holosync, HemiSync, Dr Jeffrey Thompson and others as potentially useful in keeping the individual interested and their brain agile.

I can potentially help with studying and learning. However I also found that these devices work better if they are used as training tools and not as part of the process. So for part of PhotoReading it may be useful to train the mind to repeatedly move from Beta, Alpha, Theta at random because that is what happens during the activation stage. However flexibility is the key because the brain needs to respond to the material you are activating, not the music or entrainment frequency that may be too long ot too short at the right frequency.

There really is no entrainment CD developed for PhotoReading and the overriding factor is what the eyes are doing triggers the brainwave. So while you may be listening to entrainment type music your brain isn't only responding to the music if you have your eyes open. Even ordinary music entrains. It can relax or hype you up, it can make you feel happy or blue, it can inspire or dishearten.

There is music I could paint and be creative and there is music that would make me contemplative topaint and then there is music that would drive me to distraction. Music also entrains the mind not just the binaural beats or sound waves embedded in music.

If something like iMusic is helping you to maintain comfortable focus To me it sounds like a musical way of placing the tangerine at the top back part of the head.

As I've stated already, even the beginner will have the right brain waves for PhotoReading simply by going into PhotoFocus. So you don't have to rely on entrainment devices.

I personally have no objection to using them as training tools but I really cannot recommend them for PhotoReading itself. It becomes a reason for excuses. I don't have batteries for the CD I can't PhotoRead, I didn't bring the CD with me, it interupts the class and the wires interfer with the page turning.

PhotoReading and activation is a lot faster if you just follow the steps for a number of books. How many? Could be 3 or it could be 50 before you let go and allow yourself to shift into a new comfort zone for reading.

Alex

Babbayadda,

Thanks for writing several paragraphs of very obvious information.

Obviously, when I say a peak performance state, I assume you realize that one's activity or endeavour needs to be analyzed, and then the perfect state for that specific task can be found. There is no one state... and yes, we know these letters of the greek alphabet are generalized, but they are used for a reason, they simplify the jargon.

And yes, thanks for pointing out the obvious difference between biofeedback and entrainment. The thing is, when you know something works, you don't need the feedback from an EEG or Scan on a screen in front of you. You don't need to create your own little lab.

It seems that if something isn't spelled out, you assume the knowledge isn't there. Lets try to stay on point and not discuss obvious information. This just creates an infinite loop to destination "no-where".

Stay with us here BabbaYabba.

OP Offline

It has been sometime since many of us here have started iMusic.

Any feedback reports?

Rover,

You're welcome.

A point that is obvious to me but is worth noting about the differences between entrainment and biofeedback is this: biofeedback is like having an extra sense. Changes occur as a result of ongoing feedback that go beyond entrainment.

The "there" that you go to through biofeeback training is dynamic and is a very different place than when you use various entrainment methods. You learn more about yourself, your automatic responses, and you can learn how to respond to your responses with greater and greater ability.

I think it is a superior tool for self-mastery, but that is just me.

And you don't need a lab, there are several products available ranging from simple and cheap to complex and expensive for biofeedback training.

Also, with biofeedback you are learning a skill that goes beyond the training sessions. You learn how to detect changes in the mind and body facilitated through the extra sense provided by the machinery. The goal is to go beyond the training equipment. You don't need to buy more tools to go into different states and go back to the tools when you want them. You learn it, you have it, and you can do it when you want or need it.

A problem I have had with entrainment technology is its inherent limitation. It's pretty fixed and passive. I mean, it's fun, and it has its uses, but it's limited.

Sorry if, again, this is obvious to you. I believe everything I have said is related to the topic and does not put anyone into an infinite loop. Having consciousness provides for numerous exit conditions.

[This message has been edited by babayada (edited November 19, 2004).]

Researchguy,

I purchased the IMUSIC cd 3 weeks ago.
I use it while I PR reading 3 to 5 books a day.
My question is: Is the music supposed to sound rough? Sounds like the classical music is on steriods.

Didn't help on my memory and mental stamina.

Keep in mind, before I bought "iMusic" cd I use and enjoy Baroque music as I PR.

Like to have your response,

Thanks, Kevin

OP Offline

Yah, the music obviously has changes-- otherwise it wouldn't entrain and train your brain.

Oh, believe me, if you use iMusic while working, studying, whatever, your stamina will go through the roof, and you will have an easier time memorizing things.

I guess if you aren't doing intensive mental work for long stretches, you won't notice these benefits.

Believe me, you use iMusic in demanding situations and it will work for you.

I have got so many people using this around me now, it is an across the board solution. I truly believe that anyone who says it doesn't work for them, is letting themselves down by not using iMusic to its potential.

Here is an article on something I've been thinking about during these discussions:
http://sciam.com/print_version.cfm?articleID=0007D716-71A1-1179-AF8683414B7F0000

All music is, essentially psychoacoustic neuro-technology. While not all musicians use technical equipment to measure effects in terms of brainwave activity, they do use a more organic method (namely an acute awareness of their own reactions and the reactions of others) for their testing.

OP Offline

Babba-

You are confusing emotive reactions to music, with brainwave entrainment. In some cases, there is a very subtle difference, like dance music-- in other cases, there is a very stark difference.

Very different.

Last time I checked, there were no studies that found regular music increased IQ.

OP Offline

I actually recently emailed Norman, the author of the Scientific American article, to get his opinion on iMusic.

He emailed me back thanking me for the reccomendation. I wonder if he'll do a study on iMusic???

Cheers -- Great link Babba.

Hey guys!

Don't get complicated! iMusic was made entereky with this software:
http://transparentcorp.com/products/bss/?PHPSESSID=459cd016664912fd2566abb44e3f36fc

You can convert any existing music tho the non headphones required iMusic type using this SW.

Hope this helps

I actually just emailed Transparent to learn more about this and they said this is not true, they claim the technology behind iMusic to be proprietary.

Hi Rover,

I am sorry, but I am afraid you are wrong. Look at this link from one of the public forums of the Transparent Company (makers of the entrainment SW): http://www.transparentcorp.com/community/forum/index.php?showtopic=502

Any music with rhythm acts as a form of entrainment.

All music, in fact all sensory stimulation, creates some sort of effect upon brainwave patterns.

There was some research on the so-called "Mozart effect" which showed that in some cases listening to Mozart could create a brief increase in IQ.

I contend that most of this "psychoacoustic audio technology" is gimmicky. "Brainwave entrainment" is a gimmicky name for something very simple that has been around forever.

[This message has been edited by babayada (edited November 30, 2004).]

Paco-

Exactly, Transparent was part of the team behind iMusic, but it was not with Brain Sound Studio...

The Mozart Effect is based on one study-- a study that has no merit, because the results , despite many attempts, could not be replicated.

Do some research about the Mozart Effect and you will see for yourself.

Yes, entrainment is a natural phenomenon-- it works for everyone. BUT, trigger precise and peak performance brain states is a very exact science... you can attain the perfect state for reading with just any music, it has to be perfectly calibrated.

Call it a gimmick if you want-- I call it a tool that has made my mind faster and smarter then ever in a very short time.

Eat it up if higher effectiveness excites you, call it a gimmick and ignore it if you like complacency.

On another note, I was wondering if LSC is coming out with anything new soon?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved