Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Learning Strategies Admin

The brain gets there faster with PhotoReading than the music often pans into it. Merely going into photofocus and the high Theta brainwave pattern appears.

I have listened to Theta entrainment music whilst working at the computer reading and writing because I was tired and needed to finish the work. Naturally after 15 minute of listening I was able to stop and 10 minutes later was more alert. However during the listening the tiredness was more pronounced.

Tiredness after PhotoReading has hit a few people. This is the result of having gone into high Theta which is usually the forgotten dreams and self healing state.

Beta is not detrimental, it stops us from PhotoReading ourselves into a nap

Alex

You guys should check out Centerpointe Research Institute's Holosync. I think it is the same technology but I think it has further reaching capabilities for overall growth of the mind. I have been using it for about two years now and it rocks. it is also pretty close with the Monroe Institutes Hemisync. They are all based on the Frequency following response, But I think that what Centerpointe does with their technology is further reaching, check out Hemisync also they have tons of different applications.

I suppose what is being said here is that you don't need external devices to get you where you want to go.

Too bad for people selling products.

On a discussion board for Salvia Divinorum (a plant used by Mexican Indian healers), one of the guys who had investigated the plant for a very long time said that even the curanderos believed that you did not need the divinatory plants when you knew where to go with your awareness. The plant served to initially show the way.

I think, quite naturally, we can access states of awareness and performance without outside help--without the risk of something that may end up becoming a costly crutch.

Well put babayada I totally agree with you there but it still is cool that we have gained the knowledge to consistantly direct our awareness with technology so that others who can't, can learn.

The fact is that it doesn't require devices and even beginners achieve this brainwave pattern in mere seconds.

What you do often you become better at, what you become better at becomes habit.

Alex

Unfortunately, this just isn't true. The perfect state is hard to achieve and come to know well. You guys are making these tools sound like cheating via steroids

Here is a good site about EEG training: http://www.eegspectrum.com/

Something tells me that no one hear is a perennial top achiever who has hit their peak... so why shun self improvement tools?

Centrepointe has been selling the same crap for over a decade. Crap? Well one thing I have learned over the last several weeks is binaural beats is old technology that is highly ineffective, especially when you look at the new stuff. You need headphones for an effect, and you have to sit there and focus on the music and pretty much "veg" for it to work. Oh, and it costs thousands of dollars to go through this step by step thing??!!

Ahhh, I agree with the others when they say iMusic is where it's at.

Anyhow, it seems we have a group of incumbents forming here. And surprisingly, the most unlikely of people are not embracing new ways to improve the mind.

Hmmmm... any thoughts?

Peak/perfect state for what?

I don't think that there is one state that is appropriate for all goals and all contexts.

What in one culture is considered a peak achiever may be considered a pathological mess in another.

By implication, your argument seems to state that those who are not interested in iMusic are a) neophobes, b) underachievers, and c) closed minded.

Of course, you're wrong.

Participating in these forums should be evidence enough of an individual's interest in self-improvement and various means by which one may attain self-improvement.

As for the whole theta, delta, beta, and brain synchrony thing, as far as I have seen these are very clumsy terms and our current methods of brainwave entrainment to create peak states are rather primitive.

It isn't just that he brain is creating delta waves, or gamma waves, or what have you. You have an entire, mysterious organ whose functioning we haven't even begun to comprehend on a deep level.

One of the recent findings was that some peak states involve asynchronous activity in the brain. Studies have shown by using magnetic radiation to shut down certain parts of the brain that savant-like activity can emerge. So, it's not having all the brain synchronized or in a certain brainwave pattern, but also having certain parts shutting down while others have increased activity.

Honestly, the brain and it's activity is more complex than just "beta," "alpha," etc. These are just blanket terms, overgeneralizations. They don't really say much. Because I was curious, I read a good amount about EEGs, and one particular author said that the terms for brainwaves are misleading, that the *actual* activity of the brain is so complex, that they had to overgeneralize about it just so that they could talk about what is going on. This shows you how much we don't know and upon how much ignorance these entrainment products are based.

People have been improving their performance for years without this technology, and I am skeptical as to what benefits the technology does create for an individual. How many double-blind studies have been done with iMusic CDs?

Looks to me like it's just another company grabbing loosely related scientific evidence, globbing it together, and saying that their product is supported by scientific studies.

Also, it's worthy of noting that using entrainment devices is NOT the same as using biofeedback. There is a BIG difference between the two, namely the feedback part. Biofeedback creates an awareness of activity in yourself and creates a loop in which more information about the self is available. It's like acquiring a new sense. This in and of itself can be self improving.

Entrainment technologies do not provide that information channel, and thus their effects can not really be comparable to biofeedback. Using the results of biofeedback to support claims about entrainment CDs is misleading. But, hey, who cares when you're out to sell overpriced products to willing consumers?

[This message has been edited by babayada (edited November 12, 2004).]

I am personally a fan of entrainment devices. I've owned a light and sound device since early 1990. I view music like iMusic, Holosync, HemiSync, Dr Jeffrey Thompson and others as potentially useful in keeping the individual interested and their brain agile.

I can potentially help with studying and learning. However I also found that these devices work better if they are used as training tools and not as part of the process. So for part of PhotoReading it may be useful to train the mind to repeatedly move from Beta, Alpha, Theta at random because that is what happens during the activation stage. However flexibility is the key because the brain needs to respond to the material you are activating, not the music or entrainment frequency that may be too long ot too short at the right frequency.

There really is no entrainment CD developed for PhotoReading and the overriding factor is what the eyes are doing triggers the brainwave. So while you may be listening to entrainment type music your brain isn't only responding to the music if you have your eyes open. Even ordinary music entrains. It can relax or hype you up, it can make you feel happy or blue, it can inspire or dishearten.

There is music I could paint and be creative and there is music that would make me contemplative topaint and then there is music that would drive me to distraction. Music also entrains the mind not just the binaural beats or sound waves embedded in music.

If something like iMusic is helping you to maintain comfortable focus To me it sounds like a musical way of placing the tangerine at the top back part of the head.

As I've stated already, even the beginner will have the right brain waves for PhotoReading simply by going into PhotoFocus. So you don't have to rely on entrainment devices.

I personally have no objection to using them as training tools but I really cannot recommend them for PhotoReading itself. It becomes a reason for excuses. I don't have batteries for the CD I can't PhotoRead, I didn't bring the CD with me, it interupts the class and the wires interfer with the page turning.

PhotoReading and activation is a lot faster if you just follow the steps for a number of books. How many? Could be 3 or it could be 50 before you let go and allow yourself to shift into a new comfort zone for reading.

Alex

Babbayadda,

Thanks for writing several paragraphs of very obvious information.

Obviously, when I say a peak performance state, I assume you realize that one's activity or endeavour needs to be analyzed, and then the perfect state for that specific task can be found. There is no one state... and yes, we know these letters of the greek alphabet are generalized, but they are used for a reason, they simplify the jargon.

And yes, thanks for pointing out the obvious difference between biofeedback and entrainment. The thing is, when you know something works, you don't need the feedback from an EEG or Scan on a screen in front of you. You don't need to create your own little lab.

It seems that if something isn't spelled out, you assume the knowledge isn't there. Lets try to stay on point and not discuss obvious information. This just creates an infinite loop to destination "no-where".

Stay with us here BabbaYabba.

OP Offline

It has been sometime since many of us here have started iMusic.

Any feedback reports?

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved