Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#4285 01/03/03 09:30 AM

I've noticed when I try it im very vulnerable to soar throats... maybe coincidence, but every time so far...

#4286 01/10/03 08:28 AM

I almost got another cold recently. Two colds in less than 3 months is a little odd for me. I decided to eat more and nap more once I felt this second cold coming on (i.e. the sore throat and people around me already displaying signs of having a full blown cold). I still only got 5 hours of sleep, but I took 4 naps throughout the day instead of two. I did this before to no avail, but my body seems to be responding better to naps than before. In either case, the cold went away within a day. I think that if you are getting sick or are already sick, you will need to sleep more in the manner to which your body is currently accustomed. You should also eat more. It’s just like if you normally sleep 8 hours of sleep each night without napping at all. If you continue at a normal sleep cycle of 8 hours and the same eating routine while you are sick or getting sick, then the sickness will likely take its normal course of several days to a few weeks in length.

I used to drink 32 ounces of orange juice throughout the day. I took a thermos to work. I also brought 24 ounces of hot soup in another thermos. I would sleep 8-9 hours more or less each night. The office was very large and open with good ventilation. When I recently got a bad cold while doing the polyphasic sleep cycle, I wasn’t drinking 32 ounces of OJ each day. I wasn’t eating 24 ounces of hot soup. I was, as I still am, in a much smaller and far poorer ventilated office. My body was also accustomed to a bulk sleep schedule at the time. It makes sense that I got the cold and had a hard time getting rid of it.

Before that second cold started I had gotten back to getting huge amounts of vitamin C and eating 24 ounces of hot soup. So I was already taking better dietary care of myself. Like I said earlier, I then took two extra naps that day. At that juncture, my body had grown accustomed to napping a bit more than bulk sleeping in order to replenish energy. The next morning, any trace of the cold was gone. I didn’t even have a sore throat the next morning. So if you’re feeling sick or worried about others getting you sick, and you can’t avoid those people, then sleep that way you currently are used to and eat more and you might be able to avoid the sickness.

As a side note to anybody that may be interested in my polyphasic sleep progress:

Just a week after my last post, I’ve noticed it much easier to fall a sleep for each nap. My body, instead of my alarms, wakes me up now after only 3-4 hours of sleep at night. I admit that I made the mistake once of going back to sleep when my clock read 4 a.m. instead of 5 a.m. and pretty much just wasted away an hour. If you’re thinking of doing this polyphasic sleep schedule or are having difficulty adjusting at first, you probably don’t have to worry. Just as some people on this site posted before, it takes a short while to get used to it. That short period was a little bit longer for me, but still pretty short overall. A month of adjustment, instead of 3-9 days, is still pretty good. As far as the problem of napping at extremely inconvenient times, you probably could just take a bulk sleep once a week. This way your body doesn’t become totally adverse to bulk sleep (i.e. in case you need to do that occasionally). Twice I slept 6-7 hours at night and still found that I had to nap at least once in the middle of the day. This method gives you a lot more flexibility if you have an occasional hectic lifestyle. A nap a day and 6-7 hours of bulk sleep once or twice a month I wouldn’t think would be a problem for most people.

#4287 01/23/03 12:05 AM

Hey Brian, i tried to email you and it said you weren't on the server anymore. I'm a fellow college student, and i wouldn't mind chattin with ya bout a few things, sleep cycles included.

#4288 01/28/03 03:36 PM

Greetings everyone... I stumbled on this topic whilst doing some research on the subject of the Uberman sleep cycle, as I'm currently in my first "day" of converting to the cycle, having "napped" at 4 am and 725 am (i have a class at 8 ) this morning. I put nap in quotes because like usual for this, i didn't sleep at all, just closed my eyes and waited for the alarm to go off.

Anyway, I'm keeping a journal of my progress (is that the right word?) Here starting towards the bottom of the page. I'll start adding local time stamps to all my posts so it's more clear exactly what time things are happening to me.

The only side effect (besides the "i haven't slept since yesterday" feeling) is the sore throat, good to see that's a common one. Of course, having pulled a couple of all-nighters in the past, I sorta knew it'd be coming.

In any event, I'll be back tomorrow to update things here, and anyone interested in talking to me about anything is welcome to, my AIM is WhiteKnight40k, and I'm always signed on unless my computer crashes. If I'm away, just leave a msg indicating you want to talk about sleep cycles, and I'll try to get back to you.

#4289 02/20/03 04:15 AM

I am interested in polyphasic sleeping. I have class from 7:30am to 9:30am and at 1:30 pm monday wed and friday, and from 7:30am to 10:30 tue and thur. I want to do the 4-5 hour core sleep variation, what do you all think would be a good schedule? P.S. movin it up

[This message has been edited by An0therN00b (edited February 19, 2003).]

#4290 03/06/03 01:38 AM
OP Offline

Hey Brian, i tried to email you and it said you weren't on the server anymore.

I graduated, my friend. ;-)

#4291 03/06/03 06:45 AM

Congrates on graduating, i thought that was what happened O BTW, got your email 2-day. TTYL

#4292 04/11/03 04:52 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by An0therN00b:
[B]I am interested in polyphasic sleeping. I want to do the 4-5 hour core sleep variation, what do you all think would be a good schedule?

Well from what I've read on other sites, like on http://polyphasic.blogspot.com/. and my own experiences, ith 4-5 hours of core sleep you want to nap 2-3 times a day from 15-30 minutes long. I'm going to try to stick to 1.5 hour of core sleep with 3 naps or 3 hours of core sleep with 2 naps. I figure that if people normally sleep 7 to 9 hours or core sleep with no naps, and your sleep cycles range from 1 hour & 15 minutes to 1 hour & 45 minutes long, then just use simple math. Figure 6 naps = 8 hours of core sleep. That would make each nap representative of 1 hour & 20 minutes or core sleep. You can always time the length of your sleep cycle by taking a nap in the middle of the day and timing it. Many people will get up in the middle of the day after just one sleep cycle in order for their body temperature to adjust back to normal 1. This is of course, if they weren’t exhausted from sleep deprivation. Just time yourself. A good way to make sure you fall asleep within a few minutes of when you start counting is to do something that doesn’t produce much physical or mental stimulation. One example would be watching a Dateline special on the sport of Curling. If you were already feeling tired before sitting down to watch people sweep an ice floor then you should be able to fall asleep within 10 minutes. Subtract 6 minutes2 from the time when you get up. Repeat this 3 more times and average the 4 total sleep cycles out3.

Say your sleep cycle averages 1 hour and 20 minute long. For each nap you can subtract 1 hour & 20 minutes from 8 hours (i.e. if is your normal bulk/core sleep schedule). So if you take 4 hours of core sleep then you should nap 3 times (i.e. 3 times 1.333 = 4 hours; 4 hours + 4 hours = 8 hours). Add naps appropriately on increased or reduced core sleep.

I’ve assumed the above. It makes sense logically from what I’ve read on other sites and from what I’ve done.

Footnotes
1Many land animals have their body temperature increase during the early afternoon do to afternoon meals expending a lot of energy to digest but more routinely because of a drop off of atmospheric heat. Digesting food increases your body temperature because your metabolism speeds up. Afterward your body temperature drops back to normal. When the heat of the afternoon starts to wane then your body temperature drops back to normal. The dropping of your body temperature in a short amount of time causes you to feel tired. This is similar to the hyperthermia of extremely cold atmospheres, but of course on a smaller, non-harmful scale. After about 1.5 hour your body temperature is back to normal. This afternoon body temperature increase and then decrease is in your DNA. If you are in an air conditioned office you will still experience this effect. An constant excessive stimulation mentally or physically could keep this effect from occurring.

2Figure it takes a person 2 minutes at the least to fall asleep. So if you fall asleep within 2-10 minutes then the average is 6 minutes.

3Technically you should do this a total of at least 25 times over 4 months. However, 4 times when you aren’t sick and sleeping a normal 7-9 hour core sleep schedule is okay for non-lab statistics.

#4293 03/11/04 12:51 AM

Did anybody get to use this method of sleeping effectively? This post has been up for some years, so I was just wondering how people are doing with it.

Thanks

#4294 04/05/04 03:10 AM

my friend has just started on the uberman sleep schedule about a week ago. He's keeping a private log and will publish it when he's finished (whenever that is). I'll try to get him to post on this board

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Wendy_Greer 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved