Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#44325 05/06/05 03:02 AM

Hermionics; you asked who would be reading 16 to 17 hours and dismissed it as nonsense well to respond to your question as i said earlier my friend was in graduate school and again he was dealing with extremely difficult,complex books.

You can believe whatever you want but that does not change the fact of my friend's experience and at that level of education graduate school the reading volume increases enormously.

Photoread4me

#44326 05/06/05 11:01 AM
OP Offline

My counsin just got his Ph.D. in Economics. He didn't have to read that much. About 3-4 hours for studying, I'd say. Also, he follows Dr. Green's study methods. Studying from 7am to 11pm is nonsensical and quite incredible. No-one should study that much, even the less bright.

#44327 05/07/05 02:10 AM

That was your cousin's experience and just because your cousin had that experience that way doesn't mean that everybody will have your cousin's experience the same way he did. I was not with my friend when he was at school but once again the books were difficult and complex and definitely not a walk in the park but you would have to ask my friend about his own experience he could tell you much better than I what his own experience was. My friend is a incredibly brilliant and intelligent person and i see no reason for him making up some false story and i believe what he said to be true.

Having said that I think i understand where you are coming from. The key word that comes to mind is balance. Too much of anything is not good. Too much time exercising can be just as bad as too little exercise. Even food that is healthy and good for you can be bad if you have too much. Too little sleep or too much sleep can be not good either. I think you get my point.

I do know this to be a fact Photoreading helped my friend tremendously to cut down his reading time,keep on top of his studies,and graduate from graduate school and take care of his family.

Photoread4me

#44328 05/08/05 08:08 AM

Hermionics: consider yourself lucky. I, too, am still a student and ever since I discovered PhotoReading, things have changed - negatively!
Consider yourself lucky because meanwhile I have fallen from A+ to an average of C in most subjects, which, in addition to the resulting confusion and stress, becomes a sort of hell.
In any case, I perfectly understand your agony: it's not nice to go A- instead of A+. Many people seem not to care about the + or -, but, in my personal view at least, it is relevant, especially when in past you have always had that average.

Before Photoreading, I had automatically read much faster than the average students - what later I discovered is called "speedreading".
This was probably due to the fact that since childhood I used to read a lot and developed imagery.

I generally needed to read the books once one or two days before examination and make notes in form of rethorically correct sentences
(- The strength of an acid is measured by its K value.
- Strong acids have large K values.
- etc.).
Then, I calmfully read the notes a few times before going to bed and during the next day, and I generally always got A+.
Especially in chemistry, which had been my best subject.

I guess that Photoreading, which I used for a few months - until I noticed the huge drop of my marks! - is not appropriate when you already have good techniques. And maybe it's not appropriate for reading difficult analytical stuff that requires constant attention. I would not PhotoRead Blaise Pascal's "Pensees". But maybe that's just a personal judgement.

All I managed to PhotoRead effectively was the driving license guide. It had easy contents.

But I stopped PhotoReading because of the strange symptoms that occured in my mind:
1) When I wanted to read "normally" (that means, in my natural "speedreading" way), I started having difficulties in understanding and imagining, ENTERING and feeling the contents of the text, whatever it was, literature, guide, newspaper, etc.
2) even now, and that really adds a bit of bittersweet anger: I often misread words. Just a few seconds ago I gave a quick glance to my bookshelf and instantly read PHILARMONICA. When I focused 2 seconds later it was SHAKESPEARE. And that's just an example of what occurs daily whenever I give "quick glances". Sort of corrupted subconscious?
3) I used to speak and read fluently 7 languages, even the most "difficult" texts with the most diverse grammatical forms. The corruption of my former mind configuration has led me to write poor texts (just take this text I'm posting on the forum to get an idea of how my grammatical power has dissolved). I confuse between the different languages and often fall into false friends.
4) My ideas in general are since lately considered weird and of poor intellect.

I stopped PhotoReading together with several other self-improvement methods (mindmaps,etc.) hoping that one day I may find the way back to my previous mental conditions.
Doctors, friends and teachers (who have noticed my great fall) don't believe in what I tell them on [what] these techniques [have done to me] and all they can advise me is: "Maybe you're simply not working at all for school" - which is really bitter to hear, I assure you!

Hence, I, too, would like to hear the experts opinion on my condition.

#44329 05/09/05 05:23 AM
Learning Strategies Admin

First learn PhotoReading then apply it to your textbooks.

How many book have you successfully used PhotoReading on before using it on textbook?

Alex

#44330 05/09/05 05:40 AM

Deadlife; how did you activate the material that you photoread.

Photoread4me

#44331 05/10/05 05:01 AM

photoread4me:
usually I photoread the night before and activate either in the morning or after school.
To activate, I do a bit of mind-probing and then go read the exact passages.
Generally, I follow the instructions, and when I need it works more or less...
but it's the side effects described above that irritate me...

Alex K Viefhaus:
- the instructions
- driving license manual
- a book on japanese folktales
- a small book of geography
- a drama

then I tried with dictionaries, but although I managed with the easy vocabulary - that means: the vocabulary I already know (it often happened that when I opened a page it came where I wanted to find the word) - but nothing further.
When I started with textbooks it didn't work at all.

#44332 05/10/05 02:27 AM

Deadlife; what was your purpose when you were doing the textbooks. What were your mind probing questions for the textbooks and did you do superreading and dipping? Did you do a mindmap for the textbooks?

Photoread4me

#44333 05/10/05 08:29 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Deadlife:

- the instructions
- driving license manual
- a book on japanese folktales
- a small book of geography
- a drama

then I tried with dictionaries, but although I managed with the easy vocabulary - that means: the vocabulary I already know (it often happened that when I opened a page it came where I wanted to find the word) - but nothing further.
When I started with textbooks it didn't work at all.

A very short list for someone who has using PhotoReading system for a few months. And you tell us the only book you successfully activated is the drivers manual.

I think you should learn the system first and be confident in knowing how to apply it before you use it on textbooks. Naturally if you try to learn PhotoReading while learning your school work you risk that your grades will suffer. The problem with learning two things at the same time is you don't know which one you are having trouble with. Errors with one will cause errors with the other but you won't know which one is the source of errors. Whether you are using PhotoReading correctly for this subject or whether the subject is making it difficult to learn PhotoReading.

How about activating a couple of self help, management, learning to learn, books like that?

If all you managed to activate was the drivers manual I suggest do a couple more 5 day tests on non-fiction books. How-to type and pick a subject where you would expect to learn something. Once you get the feel for PhotoReading you'll be applying it to textbooks an knowing how to

Books where you can reasonably assess whether you learned all you needed to learn from the book.

As for your symptions of not being able to read and understand your former way. That can hardly be attributed to PhotoReading because you are not doing anything that you don't normally do. You use your peripheral vision, daily. You ask questions. Superreading and dipping is no different to looking up someones telephone number in a phone book.

One of the reasons you might be experiencing confusion is because you are rushing. Trying to achieve the level of an expert PhotoReader overnight. For a beginner PhotoReding will get you though a book in 1/3 the time it takes to traditionally read. Expertise allows for 1/5th to 10th. If you have a natural speed reading tactic you might in fact need to slow down for a couple of books so your body AND mind can process the steps.

What if what you call corrupted processes are your learning experiences? Noticing and becoming aware of conconsious and conscious communication that is in error. Noticing them so that you can correct them.

I have come across information where students do suffer cognitive problems like those describe but it has nothing to do with PhotoReading.

Alex

[This message has been edited by Alex K. Viefhaus (edited May 10, 2005).]

#44334 05/10/05 01:17 PM

Dear photoread4me,
purpose: know and understand everything possible, the most hidden information as well, in order to possess the contents and navigate through my mind as if it were an encyclopedia.
What other purpose can a high school student have? In examinations, oral or written, you never know what you will be asked. You must be prepared on everything.
questions: questions that I guess the teacher might ask, questions on what I may not have understood completely.
mindmap: it's difficult to do mindmaps especially in chemistry since the different "branches" intermingle with eachother very often and millions of connections. More than a mindmap, I'd say it's a mind-"web".

Thanks, Mr. Viefhaus.
As I said before infact, I stopped/paused learning PhotoReading for the fact that I don't want to damage my studies which are in final period.

Maybe after highschool I'll try learning it from the beginning and with more calm and patience.

"because you are not doing anything that you don't normally do. You use your peripheral vision, daily. You ask questions."
I agree on this although I remind you that when following such daily routines we do them more "naturally" and not as an aware, entrained process.

I would appreciate if you explain me more on the cognitive errors and how to resolve them, since - in my life at least - they started to manifest themselves together with what was maybe a rushed approach to Photoreading.

Today I received yet another examination back - a C - in which I had practically overseen all the important, key information in the interpretation of a poetic text.
One of the questions was: to what kind of readers is this text addressed to?
Although I wrote the examination very confidently, I wasn't able to read "between the lines", in the authors mind and intentions.
I totally wrote a wrong answer, only to see - back at home - that I had once written the correct answer 5 years ago when we had done the same poem.
Hence, decrease of intellect.

I'd really appreciate if you explain me more on the "cognitive" issue.

[This message has been edited by Deadlife (edited May 10, 2005).]

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved