Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
#46408 12/25/05 02:28 AM
yas1891 Offline OP
OP Offline

Photoread4me & Alex, thank you both. I will try to activate using the new purpose.

#46409 12/25/05 06:10 AM

Alex; My purpose is to learn the techniques and principles of resolving problems with difficult people so I can learn specific ways to handle my interaction with this difficult person. Does that sound like a purpose to you?
Photoread4me

#46410 12/26/05 09:47 AM

Hello, Im photoreading a real analysis (math book) and I am trying to activate it. Im actualy still confused in knowing what exactly is a good purpose.
FOr my activatin session. My purpose is to answer the questions, well, at the end of each section so that I can gain a better understanding of the subject real analysis.

Is this a good purpose

#46411 12/26/05 10:30 AM

dcromagirl; "Hello, Im photoreading a real analysis (math book) and I am trying to activate it. Im actualy still confused in knowing what exactly is a good purpose.
FOr my activatin session. My purpose is to answer the questions, well, at the end of each section so that I can gain a better understanding of the subject real analysis.
Is this a good purpose"

dcromagirl; i think part of having a purpose is having an expected outcome. What will you do with this information from this book on real math analysis. How will you use this information why is it important to know this information? I think if you know what the outcome is that you desire that will help you form your purpose.
Photoread4me

#46412 12/26/05 12:58 PM
Learning Strategies Admin

quote:
Originally posted by photoread4me:
Alex; My purpose is to learn the techniques and principles of resolving problems with difficult people so I can learn specific ways to handle my interaction with this difficult person. Does that sound like a purpose to you?
Photoread4me

Yes that's a purpose. Now try and simplify it. I amd reading this book so I can have a happier working relationship with Mr/s X

Alex

#46413 12/26/05 01:02 PM

quote:
Originally posted by dcromagirl:
Hello, Im photoreading a real analysis (math book) and I am trying to activate it. Im actualy still confused in knowing what exactly is a good purpose.

Is this a good purpose

Now why on earth would you want to know anything from that maths book? What would you do with the knowledge? How can yuo benefit with that knowledge. What would you do next with it?

If you can answer that you uncover your purpose.

Ale

#46414 12/27/05 08:39 AM

Alex; "Now try and simplify it. I amd reading this book so I can have a happier working relationship with Mr/s X"

Simplify it? It seems like you made it more complicated.

The problem i have with your purpose is that it does not say anything about how to achieve a happier working relationship with mr or mrs X. With the purpose i have chosen "My purpose is to learn the techniques and principles of resolving problems with difficult people so I can learn specific ways to handle my interaction with this difficult person" it tells me i am going to need to search through the book to find more principles, techniques and theories on dealing with difficult people. By just saying achieving a happier relationship with mr or mrs x it doesn't go into the specifics of how that is achieved so i don't see how simplifying it will help activating more easily.
Photoread4me

#46415 12/29/05 12:51 AM

quote:
Originally posted by photoread4me:

The problem i have with your purpose is that it does not say anything about how to achieve a happier working relationship with mr or mrs X.

Of course it doesn't. That's my purpse to find out. I'm not going to limit what I can find in the book my making a statement that defines borders when right now I don't even know if the book contains any information whatsoever on conflict resolution.

The book is called "People Skills by Robert Bolton" It doesn't tell me by the title that it has any information on principles of resolving problems with difficult people. So my intial purpose is to keep it superfical and find out what is available in the book. When I activate some more my purpose will probably become more specific on certain aspects of how to.

The purpose statement never has to be a book in itself. It can simply be two or three word like I am reading this instruction manual so I can help my mum use this software. It serves to keep you on focus for information that will help your mum and not get side tracked my unnecessary information or "interesting reading" .

You own your mind when I say you can simplify the statement I'm not saying your goal will be missed or left out. You can still read for that. By simplifying the statement you are allowing the first activation to be one that lets you discover what the book is capable of giving your in that area. Your purpose can change with each activation. The more knowledge you acquire the more details you want.

For the sake of people learning about setting a purpose. Keep it simple. If you can say what you want in the end, The example in this thread is to handle a co-worker. Then once you make a statement of purpose with that in mind your activation becomes much more focused. It doesn't have to be in technicolour detail. The details come as you activate.

Alex

With the purpose i have chosen "My purpose is to learn the techniques and principles of resolving problems with difficult people so I can learn specific ways to handle my interaction with this difficult person" it tells me i am going to need to search through the book to find more principles, techniques and theories on dealing with difficult people. By just saying achieving a happier relationship with mr or mrs x it doesn't go into the specifics of how that is achieved so i don't see how simplifying it will help activating more easily.
Photoread4me [/B][/QUOTE]

#46416 01/01/06 04:15 AM
yas1891 Offline OP
OP Offline

Alex, Photoread4me:
I did try it with different purpose, but I didnt work. I am really confused. I cant remember anything but what I really dipped in. It took me more than 10 hrs with that book and its not getting together. Maybe I expect too much but this is not what photoreading promised, 25000 words/min.

#46417 01/01/06 09:25 AM

quote:
Originally posted by yas1891:
Alex, Photoread4me:
I did try it with different purpose, but I didnt work. I am really confused. I cant remember anything but what I really dipped in.

Why haven't you been mind mapping as you found answers to your mind probing question?

You cannot recall anything that you haven't activated because you haven't called on it in the first place. You knowledge gained from this book isn't going to be a photographic memory of what you have read. Yuo're looking for useful information that yuo can apply to your life.

quote:
It took me more than 10 hrs with that book and its not getting together. Maybe I expect too much but this is not what photoreading promised, 25000 words/min.

PhotoReading at 25,000 wpm isn't reading at 25,000wpm. When you learn the system as a beginner you're looking at reducing the time it takes to get the information you need at a conscious level that is similar to "reading". In 1/3rd the time it normally takes you with the book.

If you used traditional reading with that book would you have been finished within 10 hours? I'd say not because you're complaining you don't remember anything.

If you've spent more than 10 hours with the book. You're more or less traditionally reading it. Passively, No mind probling question.

Also what Does it feel like to remember something that you never called on in the first place?

You've created a paradox for yourself. You're expecting something different to be happening when it's the possibility that what you experienced is exactly want is supposed to happen.

Your inner mind is guiding you towhere to dip according to your mind probing questions. Consciously that's all you need to know. The rest is redundant as yuo've discovered in your 10 hours with the book. You don't have all that much that is useful to you.

Did the book have anything useful to statisfy your purpose of improving the working relationship with the co-worker you have in mind?

My guess is you could have found all the necessary information relevant to your purpose in 20 to 40-minutes. The rest is currently useless to you that's why after 10-hours you feel like you got nothing more than you dipped. Of course that's all you consciously need, what you dipped. The conscious mind is not satisfied by PhotoReading. That's one of the things you need to learn to deal with. The comprehension you get from the book doesn't feel any different than traditional reading.

The idea of dipping is to satisfy the conscious mind. The nonconscious mind guides you to where to dip so you can satisfy the conscious mind. The non conscious mind knows where the answers are and if you weren't so picky could help you to live the knowledge with a different level of understanding.

However humans have a special need to understand consciously that's why we use manual activation techniques to understand what we need from the book.

Alex

Alex

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved