Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#47247 09/15/02 01:26 AM

Hel,
I think this is such a worthwhile question. It seems to me that somewhere, a long time ago, someone said to get to the point where you use all the time. At the time, i thought that was mind-boggling impossible to ever do.

Now that i've finally learned it so that i can do it w/ the exercises of SFQ and small universe, it's not so mind boggling. I'm not thinking about breathing like this all the time though. It took me forever to just learn how to breathe from my diaphragm regularly.

Don't know if this answers your question, but that's my progression w/ this breathing technique.

#47248 09/15/02 06:30 PM
Hel Offline

Margaret, thank you for your response. Once again, we are at about the same place.

#47249 09/15/02 06:44 PM

There was this web site that was posted explaining reversed breathing pretty well and it said that it is a form of breathing that can be dangerous if too long. It said to not do it for much longer than 3 minutes at a time. I'll try to find that web site again.

#47250 09/16/02 03:50 AM

FWIW, I've been studying Chi Kung (and Tai Chi) with my Sifu for a number for years.

We've been taught to use Reverse Breating only while doing Chi Kung.

The rest of the time you should just be doing 'natural' breathing where the abdomen expands when inhaling.

#47251 09/16/02 01:35 PM

Bruce,
Another way to look at is, is that you "are" doing qigong when you do reverse breathing. I often feel a connected sort of awareness, inbetween actual exercise time periods of the day. Like "walking your prayer", in regards to holding a level of spiritual awareness. I often do alot of creative thinking. I might be driving my car, working out images in my minds eye...I come back to driving, thankful that someone/something kept driving(!) while I was off in lala land. I usually am doing reverse breathing too, unconsciously. I think it is possible to practice, or experience qigong (energywork), quite continually. Not all the time...I haven't seen that bumper sticker yet, "Quit reverse breathing and drivE".. I know from a martial arts standpoint, you can be practicing good gung fu / kung fu whether you are doing martial arts or cooking, or mowing your yard. It just means work, and skill at doing the work. As you go about your day you can be constantly connected to that. I experience qigong the same way. Just looking at another person, really looking at them energetically, flips the switch, and you are in the zone.
I think holding up the huiyin is similar. I usually don't do it naturally, I have to focus a bit more on it. Again, it triggers awareness of energy and energywork. I don't save it for formal qigong practice. I know if I hold it up, I am keeping in , or perhaps storing some energy. Again, my breathing will change, and I am briefly in the zone. Simple energy awareness and energy work can be simple and quite often. I can think of alot of bumper stickers now! When I am at work, and doing something requiring real focus and skill, I am sure my breathing changes, and I probably suspend my crown point and align.
Just in regards to this breathing discussion. Taoists practiced longevity. That is what's behind this breathing technique. I was told Taoists believed that one comes into the body at the crown point, and that you essentially move down through the body as your life progresses, eventually leaving the body out the death gate, or huiyin. Reverse breathing and strengthening the huiyin(by holding up the huiyin), goes the opposite direction of that downward movement and exit. It may be true that you should only do reverse breathing when doing qigong, but I don't see a problem practicing qigong as a somewhat continual energy awareness, like spiritually walking your prayer. I think it gets into the way of life idea.

#47252 09/17/02 05:13 AM
Hel Offline

Thank you all for the responses.

Gallen, what/where is the huiyin?

#47253 09/16/02 06:47 PM

It's the point referred to by Master Lin as "the bottom of the torso". Fortunately, Master Lin set up SFQ totally in English, to make it easier. Once I tried to learn 108 points. Too much! Sometimes "areas" are referred to, but those areas have a primary point located in them, and it gets activated or stimulated. The huiyin is center,bottom of the torso, between your private parts. So, when you gently pull up there, you also close those two openings where qi can leak out. Pressing you lips together, again gently, drawing back to the corners of your mouth also amplify holding in the energy. That is from Master Lin too. I think it is a really good added detail to smiling. Being aware of holding in the energy, or storing, I think, is somewhat of an acquired awareness/sensation. As you know, you do drink or eat or bath within 30min of practice, as you absorb the accumululated energy. Another definition of qigong is the "attainment of qi".

#47254 09/16/02 06:50 PM

pardon my grammar/English on that last post...I hope it makes sense. That's don't, not do, bath, eat ,etc....

#47255 09/16/02 11:49 PM

Hel,

I am a new comer to SF Qigong. It is so good to see so many good insights come out from the questions.

I almost posted the very same questions that you have. The day when I was thinking about writing the post after reading through the forum I got the letter from Master Lin through LS Corp.
... <Talk about mystical timing!>

In the letter there is a section "What is the proper way to breathe?"

The points that helped me most are:

1. "Breathing is important to your practice, In Level 1 it is more important that you breathe slowly and evenly than it is to do Qigong breathing."

2. "When you practice breathing like I suggest, it will soon become second nature."

3. "I breathe this way all of the time."

Since, I choose to practice SF Qigong. I know how I want to improve my way of breathing.

#47256 09/17/02 12:10 AM

Think I better post the exact extract from the letter. Hope that will be more helpful to anyone who are searching for answers.

From the letter:

" "What is the proper way to breathe?"

Breathing is important to your practice. In Level 1 it is more important that you breathe slowly and evenly than it is to do Qigong breathing.

When you practice breathing like I suggest, it will soon become second nature. When you inhale, the area of your stomach below your navel should draw in a little. When you exhale, let it out a little as the abdomen muscles release in an even flow. This might be opposite of the way you breathe now, but it helps balance your body's energy better. I breathe this way all of the time.

Just remember there is no "right" or "wrong" way to breath in Spring Forest, there is only good, better, best. "

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Shawn_Grim 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved