Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#48687 10/13/02 12:41 PM
OP Offline

Hi,

I was wondering if it's ok to practice Yoga postures (Hatha) with Qigong, or would there be a "energy technique" clash? Thanks.

Diana

#48688 10/14/02 07:08 PM

Diana,

I don't presume to know the answer to this, but based on my own experience there is no problem. I have even experimented with doing some asanas immediately before and after the SFQ. I feel like I maintain the energy longer if I do the SFQ after the yoga.

I am referring to simple Hatha Yoga without pranayama. The methods employed in the breathing and intention while doing pranayama might conflict with SFQ, although an advanced practicioner could probably integrate them.

Michael

#48689 10/15/02 03:59 PM

Amstar:
How do you do Hatha Yoga (the asanas or poses) without incorporating pranayama (the breathing techniques)? I thought both goes together with proper form and technique. Otherwise, you are just doing regular exercises or stretching. Yes, pranayama can be done by itself; but, hatha yoga requires the proper use (or control) of the breath to achieve the ultimate benefit. Then, again, even sitting still to do pranayama is considered an asana (hatha yoga); in fact, this is the ultimate asana and the highest form of hatha yoga: to hold an asana, such as one of the advanced sitting asanas.

There are different breathing techniques used or recommended by different yoga teachers and even in the ancient literature. Some are similar and some different to SFQ. The practice of yoga is an energy system in and of itself; and, as such, when done properly could interfere with the SFQ energy movement. Not that one is good and one less good; it is just like climbing the mountain from different locations and using different vehicles (which is fine), but not if you expect to do both at the same time.

A better approach might be to have a couple of hours rest between doing the different echniques. For example doing one in the morning and the other midday, or something like that.

After 25 years of yoga practice, I still regularly practice yoga. I, also, enjoy and have richly benefitted from SFQ (both the active exercises and the meditation techniques). I, personally, find them to be very much complimentary. However, I don't practice them in tandem.

The practice of yoga takes me into the silence (as Master Lin would call it) and I do not need to re-enter the door, having already entered within. The practice of SFQ takes me into the silence; and, again, I do not need to re-enter this door having already entered within. Both are very powerful: different paths up the same mountain.

I have found the energy movement, patterning and ordering of both to be somewhat different, in a nice kind of way. The easiest and quickest of the two, for me, is SFQ - definately. SFQ (active exercises) is what I'd call a standing or walking meditation, and it accomplishes the job effectively, efficently and quickly. Why? You are using all of your faculties (mind through concentration, body through movement, emotions through smiling and relaxing, and the breath through its breathing technique) simultaneously to sort of trick the mind and go beyond the mind into the silence: it is a multi-faceted assault, and it wins the battle (excuse the violent terminology). I find SFQ more natural and easier, but this is my opinion.

I would say you can practice both and benefit, but try to space them adequately - at least. Remember Master Lin's admonition about mixing energy systems. Some yoga techniques (asanas and pranayamas) might be complimentary and some others less so: there are so many different types now, as is also true for qigong in general.
Love and Light

#48690 10/16/02 02:55 PM
OP Offline

Amstar,

You say you practice both yoga and SFQ? Wouldn't you then be mixing energy techniques? Master Lin mentioned that this shouldn't be done. I'm just intersted in stretching not so much as breathing. I'm confused now...

[This message has been edited by Mayflower (edited October 16, 2002).]

[This message has been edited by Mayflower (edited October 16, 2002).]

#48691 10/16/02 04:52 PM
Hel Offline

I practise both, not at the same time. Master Lin also said, energy is energy.

#48692 10/16/02 11:31 PM
OP Offline

Gallen, you have nothing to add?

#48693 10/17/02 12:31 AM

Diana,

I think Macook described it well by saying that they are, "different paths up the same mountain."

And yes, Macook, can be just like "regular stretching," however passive, sustained stretching also requires proper breath control. When I do it the emptiness and energy flow are the focus, as well as exploring the limits of how far I can stretch my limbs. Now then, does that get the label of Yoga? It is very difficult to know what a person means by Yoga since it has been so westernized.

Ultimately everything is energy, all we are working with is our intent.

So Diana, try doing both, pay attention and if you still feel unsure, then I would recommend choosing the one that you like better and stick with it. You will benefit either way.

Michael

#48694 10/17/02 07:02 AM

Mayflower,
You are not confused; and, we appologise for any unintentional confusion. You mention that you're just interested in stretching. Stretching is fine. Stretching is good and beneficial; and, yoga asanas offers benefits in the area of stretching. This you may experiment with, and I'm sure you'll enjoy the results. I don't think you'll have any problem incorporating stretching and/or other physical exercises, in addition to SFQ, into your program for healthful living.

Amstar seems to have found a nice balance for combinding the two: yoga stretching and SFQ. I like the way Amatar mentions "breath control" while focusing on the "emptiness" and "energy flow." Sounds like you've found one other way of taking the techniques of SFQ out into other areas of your life. Very good, because qigong is not merely a static system. One does not have to be overly focused on the individual nuances of the techniques, to the point of being stressed. Rather, relax and enjoy the process: the "now" of the experience. With regular practice and in time all will come together as it should - the breathing, the relaxation, the silence, the movements, the balance, the energy, and the synergy of all the parts.

However, we should remember that Master Lin has given us a complete and very powerful system. For best results, we would be best served by not diluting the system or inappropriately mixing it with other potentially, incompatible, energy techniques. Master Lin has put this system together after many years of extensive practice and experiential knowledge. Therefore, I think it might be best to stay closer to the practice Master Lin has given.

In my earlier comments concerning yoga, I was referring to yoga in the classical sense: as a science of life, a path to awakening. I was not referring to the mere stretching or gymnastic, or arobicizing [my word] aspects (althought nothing is wrong with these types of yoga, if that is what one is after). Looking at yoga from this classical sense it is very much an energy system. Therefore one would be best served to follow Master Lin's admonition and not mix energy systems, any old way. Yes it can be done, and I do it, but better to space them. That is partly what I was trying to say.

We are the benefactors of a magnificent system of qigong (SFQ). Let us enjoy the practice and reap the wealth of benefits it offers.... One day you too might become a master, and....

Anyone knows where our beloved Gallen is off to? Already miss his input.

#48695 10/17/02 02:05 PM
OP Offline

Thank you Macook, beautifully said. Gallen's mother is ill. He mentioned his postings would be sporadic. I hope she's ok.

Diana

#48696 10/17/02 03:42 PM

Mayflower,

Thanks for the update on Gallen.

I pray, "Oh infinite Lord thou knows better than I that which Gallen's mother needs. And, it for this and this alone that I pray. I beseech thee to bring it into her life swiftly, surely and most harmoniously."

Gallen, I wish you and your mother all the best. I'll remember you both in my prayers and meditations.

Love, light, peace and divine bliss....

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Shawn_Grim 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved