Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#51038 08/27/04 07:44 PM
OP Offline

I recently saw an interview with Mel Gibson regarding his film "The Passion of the Christ", which, by the way I have never seen.
In the interview he talked about his faith and he became intrigued with the "Passion" that Christ had for his beliefs. This became his personal meditation. I thought this a very interesting example coming from a very successful man.

In my quest for Self Mastery my personal meditation has been developing a Calm Mind, sort of like that reflection of the full moon on a calm pool of water thing. Of course there are degrees and levels of having a calm mind. I was given a taste of this from my 1st teacher and a had a realization that with a Peaceful Mind one could accomplish anything, or not. What a feeling that was the first time. In my work and everyday life this has been my greatest asset.

SFQ gave me great joy one time when I read that having a smile on your face during exercise or meditation removes the tension from the body, another step in maintaining a calm mind.

There is a tale I would like to share that, to my knowledge has never been written down but passed from teacher to student. It is about the Samurai Sword and it being the Soul of the Samurai. It starts with the Sword Maker traveling along a river and picking up the right kind of sand (Iron Oxide). When he has enough of the right kind he builds a oven on the river bank and melts the sand into ingots. He sorts through these ingots and proceeds back to his shop to begin making the sword. He fires up his forge and begins to heat the ignots in a charcoal furnace turning them cherry red he begins to hammer them together. The Charcoal furnace puts carbon into the iron oxide allowing it to be hardened or tempered. After the right size of raw material is achieved it is heated stretched and folded
somewhere between 300 to 700 times which gives it appx 30,000 layers. This probably the most important part. After that the billet is split open and a soft core placed inside to make it flexible, the billet is then hammered into the shape of a sword, heated and quenched many times until the sword maker is satisfied. It is then sent out to the polisher who turns it into a beautiful work of art.

This is also an example of ones path of self mastery. You yourself walk along the sand and pick up the grains that will eventually make you what you are, you are tested by fire, you are hammered and shaped, you grow and then you become a work of art. The sword is also a symbol of intellect, a sharp and keen wit, etc.

Anyway a story I always liked.

Jeff

#51039 08/27/04 11:04 PM

I like the story too! Thanks.

Blessings,
Jenny

#51040 08/29/04 05:03 AM

Hi Jeff,
Thanks for sharing your inspirations, and some of your focus, in your self work.
I would offer up a few ideas. Self love, versus self mastery. Just as you mentioned, the great joy you experienced in SFQ, with that smile, relieving tension in the body. It can also be felt in the heart, and bring about a very deep experience of self acceptance, self forgiveness, and a blissfulness, beyond those initial aspects, of just being love. Loving oneself is a very powerful, transformational state. Mastery, is a very positive concept and practice. My own experience, has been that this other focus, aligns, very well, with where our all our paths will eventually merge.
There is an 'inner smile' meditation , that comes from Taoist qigong method. It is, as we practice it in SFQ. The only difference in this specific meditation practice, is that in this inner smile meditation, this is the only thing you do. You just focus on turning this smile inward, and stay in that state for the duration of your meditation. It is, not so different than many other meditation practices from various sources, that focus in the heart center, giving and receiving love.
The smile that we utilize in SFQ, is a very, very powerful aspect to one's practice. It is a powerful essential, in self healing. It doesn't come naturally, for most people. Wearing it on the face, feeling it release tension in the physical body, and ultimately feeling it in the heart, loving self, then just being and radiating love. Being in this state, creates physical benefit, as the heart is so powerful a center in reference to its effect, on all the the organs, and inturn, the whole of one's physical self.
I want to share something else, as it relates to your Samurai story,,,literally. I recently had the opportunity to meet a Japanese craftsman, who is one of Japan's , "national treasures". He makes the highest form of metal, that traditionally went into swordmaking. I forget, and can't pronounce the name of this steel! It is an amazing process. The metal that is created, is the highest grade steel, if that is the right word for the material, there is, and it is very valuable, and coveted by sword and knife makers. My former foundry professor from the University of Minnesota, sponsored this Japanese gentleman's visit. What is interesting, is that this master craftsman makes the metal, not the sword. His focus and process, is metal, nothing more , nothing less. It is quite a primordal process to engage with, and has a spiritual aspect that is employed, in the process. He has nothing to do with what the metal is used for, although, tradionally, it is connecting to swordmaking, or knives. I don't know if this was always the case, or dynamic, between metal maker and sword maker. He was totally, a craftsman/artist/alchemist , as opposed to a sword maker. The 'process' was his art and work. This former professor, who is an incredible metal's, and process oriented artist, now knows the process, and uses this metal in his artwork. It has become, more, the art of making metal, and perservation of that process, as an art form.
I would be interested, if you continue with SFQ, in your ongoing experience with this inner smile we employ in SFQ, and if down the road, it shifts for you , in how you experience it. Maybe these ideas are already things you employ. If so, please excuse my ignorance and offerings. Someone else might benefit from the conversation.
love,
gallen

#51041 08/28/04 08:50 PM
OP Offline

Gallen;

Thank you for your insights and sharing experience. My path started off with the concept of Self Mastery so I see no need to change now. It has evolved into what I am doing now. The Master who makes the steel is a wonderful example of how we grow and change. In my younger and weaker days I thoroughly enjoyed Martial Arts, I looked for the most traditional and disciplined way of doing that. Later the technics fell on the way side and this practice went to the next stage for me of developing my internal self, of Self Mastery. My teacher pointed out that the demons reside inside ourselfs not out here. It was not so much the point of fighting the internal demons because you cannot win with a fighting mind.

For lack of a better word you have to learn how to love your inner demons and thank them for being your teachers. Then they all go away, try and bring them back and they just ignore you. They become your allies and surface when you need them.

The making of the steel is a very spiritual process. The purification of the makers before the process begins. It is a very awe inspiring event, very healing and powerful. There is nothing like this anywhere else in this world. It is a process that can be used by one on the path, to work at loving and thanking everyone whenever you are hit with
lifes hammer because it is purifiying you and making you strong.

After awhile you will love the hammer and it like the demons will go away because you have gotten to that point where it no longer does any good to forge you.

The steel can be used for any purpose, it was originally developed for the sword. But it is the process that makes it sacred. Just the feeling of it tells you it is alive.

I was blessed one time to spend 10 days, one on one, with a Sword Master from Japan, Komei Sekiguchi Sensei. He watched me for days and finally he picked out 3 things to correct me on which changed me forever. These things went with me into my everyday life.Of course I died many times getting to that point but it was all in good fun.

In order to learn I had to let go of old martial attitudes and love what I was doing.
It was hard to do, then the sword became my friend and a friend who trusts you will do anything. A living Sword really knows the difference.

You had a wonderful experience with the Steel Master.

Jeff

#51042 08/28/04 09:31 PM

Hi Jeff,
So, I am curious. What brings you to Spring Forest? Are you interested in doing healing work, or for self health, or ? Are you practicing the active exercises or any of the meditations? -gallen

#51043 08/29/04 10:22 AM
OP Offline

Gallen;

In regards to internal energy developement the training I had did not serve me. I noticed over the years that my energy level was sliding when it should have been going the other way, so despite all the other good things I had learned it wasn't complete. Also I had some injuries that weren't clearing up.

In somethings I can manifest easily and set about to answer this question I had about energy. I don't question what happens when it happens except maybe to make a joke about it. My sense of humor might seem odd but I think of the Masters as Family and talk to them as one might their rich uncle or auntie. This keeps things in perspective for me, they still have all the respect and if I borrow their power it is expected it will be returned in the same shape or better but I have a personal connection.

So the subject of Qigong and Feng Shui pretty much landed in my lap and found huge amounts of information on energy I never knew existed. Had I known this when I was a young man I would have sailed for China to become a Doctor.

My Grandmother was a Clairvoyiant and healer but I saw her use up all her energy healing others and die young. My mother had the gift but was afraid to use it. This was a problem I noticed when I was young but had no answer for it. So you could imagine the treasure I found on Level 1 SFQ. On Level 2 even more.

There are many Qigong Books you are very aware of, although SFQ explains things better and the application is simple. "Gee, here is someone who really knows what they are talking about".

One of my biggest problems with prior exercises I couldn't get the energy to travel up my spine. All the previous teachings of "Small Universe" were wrong and other exercises seemed weak. Possibly I didn't have a password or make that connection with the Universe like in meditation. My response to this was to tell the Masters and Universe it wasn't good enough. Put up or shut up.

They put up and I shut up. I could hear the laughter. OK you got me. Thank You.

Yes I practice most everyday the level one exercises. Although we spoke of Holosync before, I listen to the CD's and practise the Small Universe at the same time, this really works well for me. Yeah I know.

I know alot of Healers here on Maui and have done Qigong healing on them as well as myself and family with alot of success. At this time I have no aches or pains from previous injuries. Earlier this year I worked alot on my 1st Teacher who is 86 yrs old, he had a pinched nerve and in terrible pain. The doctors gave him lots of pills but nothing worked. I worked on him 4 times and finally it cleared. That might seem like alot but he is still a powerful man. Old defenses sometimes are hard to get through.
When it did clear it was like this beam of light went through him, he looked at me and told me he was done.

I have not seen what will happen beyond level 2. My work schedule does not allow me to travel when classes are going right now. Hopefully this answers your questions.

Jeff

#51044 08/29/04 02:52 PM

Hi Jeff,
Sounds like you are a work in progress, just like the rest of us. It is wonderful that you are doing healing work. Sounds like you come by that naturally. In Master Lin's methods, one doesn't have to be concerned with depleting one's energy. When you open up to the universe, and also connect to spiritual energy, via the 'master's energy', you draw on limitless energy. I too, experienced a great difference with Master Lin's small universe meditation, versus previous one's I had learned. For me, the open breathing from all directions, regarding universal energy, and the infusion of spiritual energy, through the mantra sounds, literally, activated the experience. Just a better awareness of energy in general, and how to engage with it.

My own path as moved from a background in martial arts , to healing work. I found that my source of spiritual energy changed too. The master's energy I used to engage with, was a warrior energy. I still acknowledge and pay respects to an aspect of that, on occassion, but have moved more towards drawing on spiritual energy, that aligns with just healing work, and spiritual growth. I have found this aspect of my self practice, to be very significant, it how I have changed and transformed, through my practice. Although there are many positive attributes to martial arts, and the master's energy I experienced from that practice, I found even greater support, and more energy, coming from the universe and 'higher' spirits, to do healing work. I have found it to be a higher level activity. A higher calling...Again, this is not about good or bad, or making judgements on my part about anything else. I just share my own experience.
The diety/master's energy I used to engage with on a daily basis, as it turned out, had an aspect to them , that was interested in my work and self transformation regarding warrior energy. I found that there were actually greater challenges, to focus this energy towards. Working on positive emotional aspects of self, and self healing, was much more difficult, for me, than the more physically based energy work I did in martial arts. These new challenges provided something that satisfied my more martial base, and gradually moved me away from it, to something else. I did bring a part of that with me, but I no longer am based in that energy practice. I have relaxed, and softened out, alot, and feel I have shifted to a better place.
I hope you stick with the Spring Forest Qigong, and continue your healing work. If I was living in the georgeous natural environment you live in, I would be moved to find some special places to meditate, outside, and try the meditation without the CD's. I went to your area, once, many years ago, and felt I was in paradise.
It is , of course, your choice to do the Holosync and SF meditation together. I would suggest, at least trying them separately, for a set time period, to compare your experience. If there are negative side effects, it might be, hard to discern what they are, being in it. It might, even effect your ability to discern if there is or isn't.
It's been good talking with you.
love,
gallen

#51045 08/29/04 07:12 PM
OP Offline

Gallen;

It would seem that we have much in common. I have found that taking alot of the lessons from Martial Arts like the discipline, the respect and honor for ones teacher, being a empty vessel to be filled with the teachings,
and probably most important the sincerity of ones practise to be some of the most important, and ones that can be carried with you in everyday life.

Like you, I found the energy change and connection to the Universe and Masters change
into something more. It became more productive and able to benefit others.

Maui has many sacred places to practise outdoors. I found one location in Hawaiian legend was most sacred, in Feng Shui had all the signs of the cosmic breathe in a natural enviroment. I did meditation in this place and ended up staying awake for 3 days with my mind unveiling insight after insight. For lack of a better word, this gate is not open all the time but it is still a great place just to calm your mind. I have found Hana to be a very rejuvenating place, after I have been away for awhile I take the family out there and it heals and bonds us. There are many places.

Be Beautiful
Jeff

#51046 08/30/04 01:39 AM

Hi Jeff,
I am clairvoyant also. I read the section regarding your grandmother using her energy to heal. Shame that she didn't simply channel the energy from the universe instead of using her own up. She would have lived a lot longer.
I also channel very well.(contact other beings) I don't go into a trance. I don't need to. I was told by my spirit guide years ago, "It's ALL as we believe it to be" Simply, if your mother believed her energy is being used up..it was.

Much Qi,
Diana

[This message has been edited by Mayflower (edited August 29, 2004).]

#51047 08/30/04 08:19 AM
OP Offline

Mayflower;

My Grandmother read the bible everyday and used it for her spiritual guidance. Her healing was her calling. Where she came from in her youth didn't offer much in the way of teachers for that sort of thing. Poverty and education really limit what a person can do. I believe she was able to remove the sickness from others but she accepted it into herself because she didn't know any better. She died from the accumulation of this but it was her mission in life. She was always happy even when she was her sickest because I'm sure she believed she had helped someone.

It is easy to look around now and have solutions for this because so many good teachers have come forward, but I think we also have to give thanks to those who gave their lives for something they believed in and brought us the truth. Not unlike past martial artists who developed technics or meditators who charted safe paths. Qigong Masters who charted also, many died learning what we know now.

On Maui we have a Borders Book store that probably has more diverse literature in it than any other I have visited. I think this is one of the most wonderful places in the world because all this information is available.

By transferance I received what my Grandmother knew and her technics but there are much better ways. What I still use from that is the ability to talk to almost anything and her light happiness that she was helping whoever came into her path because God had sent them. As a family we read tea leaves to predict the future, it always seems correct but it is done for fun.

My Mother still has the big old bible that has oil, from Gradmothers hands, on every page. She read it that much.

She had a manuscript, it was said, of a unpublished section of white magic which was from a very old bible. When she had gotten very weak a competitor of hers hired men to break into her house and steal the manuscript. She could not stop them but it was never delivered, the men suffered a car crash but they escaped unharmed. The car burst into flames and the manuscript destroyed.

Thank you for sharing and may you always find happiness in your calling.

Be Beautiful
Jeff

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Shawn_Grim 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved