Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline

Would this apply to going outside when it is cold out. I live in Canada and as I am sure most of you are aware of it sometimes gets very cold out. I work a lot outside and I have changed the timing of my qigong to make sure that I don't go out right after. Am I being too cautious or is their some sense in my thinking?

The same goes for the walking qigong is it wise to do it outside when it is cold out? If not what is an acceptable tempurature?

Thanks in advance

Hi Artimuse,

I was thinking about this very topic a few days ago and I was looking at some acupuncture websites and it does appear that in Chinese medicine that cold and damp weather can interrupt the flow of chi in the meridians and cause enegy to stagnate . Currently it is cold and damp in London and I feel so tired and drained after a day's work - as soon as I do SFQ all my enery channels wake up and I feel so alive - I am pretty certain its the invasion of cold that is causing the problem.

In Chinese medicine the also classify the weather as one of the major causes of disease in the body.

Bluesky

Artimuse, I too living in the frosty white. Several times a week I walk home from work (a good hour). I don't know the correct answer since I don't know exactly what the warning is about.

I think it is wise to follow Master Lin's instructions when you can. So allowing yourself time before exposing yourself to the cold is a good idea.

My thoughts, while walking in the cold, have been something like,"I'm out in the cold and walking. Yes I'm cold. Opening my channels will help me function well. Will help me stay warm." I find I relax a little more, walk taller, and I become warmer.

I often mentally do the breathing of the universal energy while walking. I don't open and close my arms, like I'm trying to hug everyone. I walk with my arms swing naturally, forwards and back. I feel drawing qi into my lower dan tien is beneficial. And I always feel warmth on my exhaling of energy in the wrong places.

I usually have an attitude shift as well. Since there is no good energy or bad energy, I stop judging the weather and wishing it was something else. I see the beauty and power in the world and appreciate it. I still pull my hood up and turn my face away when the wind bites very strongly.

Of course I don't go as deeply into the emptiness as when I'm doing a sitting meditation, but there is a balance to be sought in all things, and a flow to your energy.

You are perfection,
Iam2

OP Offline

Thank you both for your replies.
So if I am to understand it correctly you think that it is okay to do some sort of walking qigong but that after doing active exercises or maybe even the meditation it is best to wait a half hour?

Thanks again

That's exactly how I see that advice.... part of a good, better, best practice.

In North America cold water washing is seldom a concern, but you never know when it may happen.

Master Lin says that washing with cold water is like pouring water on a hot pan. The energy is rapidly pulled out of the pan. So it's best to allow yourself some time to make good use of all that qi you've collected, instead of draining it away with cold water or toilet activities.

As for the walking meditation, I've made a post or two on my experiences (can't find them with the search). One time (summer or spring) I was walking and visualizing my energy expanding outwards and joining with the universe, when a jogger came by and I felt the energy just snap back into me. I've always had good experiences with doing the visualization of breathing the universe. It's not as intense, partly because you have open eyes, and you're breathing much more rapidly, but I still consider it a "better" practice.

You are perfection,
Iam2

No doubt it's true, yet if you use a public restroom almost anywhere (especially Walmart!) your only options are to wash with cold water, or not wash at all. I'll take my chances with the cold water, if it comes to that.

Learning Strategies
Learning Strategies

Aloha All,

Artimuse: My wife would have a little down-time with her guests after hosting a Spring Forest Qigong Meditation support group during the winter. Before they shifted "climates" and went outside, she'd recommend they cup C7 a little, have them make sure it and their tummies and lower backs were covered, and feet warm. Sounds like sending the kids out to play! You want to remember keep those areas warm after opening them them while doing the work.

BlueSky: You'll find Chunyi mentioning weather in the manual under: "Six Factors that Block Qi."

Jeanne: Where do you find is the best isle/section in Walmart to do Spring Forest Qigong?

Much Love, Shawn

No brainer--the checkout line!

OP Offline

Thanks for responding Shawn. I am more concerned with my face and hands getting cold then my lower back, tummy and feet. Am I to understand you are also referring to during the practice as well as after?

I have another question in regards to the best times to practice. I understand that noon and midnight are considered the best. I am trying to arrange my life so that I do the active excercise between eleven and twelve then I do one meditation between twelve and twelve thirty. I then wait half an hour before eating my lunch. Am I getting a lot more benifit working this way or just a little. I ask only because here in Canada the days are short in the winter and I have less daylight to work outside in. I work on a farm so I work a lot outside.

Thanks for your advice.

Learning Strategies
Learning Strategies

Aloha Artimuse,

Good, better, best.

Doing your exercises or meditations at the 11-1 time takes less energy and generates greater benefits.

Chunyi would say that if you can do it during that time-great! If you have to do it at a another time-that’s good too, as long as you are doing it.

I can't remember if Chunyi felt it was twice the benefit for the same amount of work, or not. Do what you can do and enjoy.

Much love, Shawn

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Shawn_Grim 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved