Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
FraserB Offline OP
OP Offline

Having read articles on this forum I was glad to learn that it is not only me that looks like he gave up the home study course all too quickly !

Having just changed careers from insurance to IT I have a lot of material I need to read and am very keen to pick up my photoreading course and try again.

As part of my job I also need to be able to speak Italian (something I learnt 10 years ago).

I have at least 6 Italian course books of different levels, 2 english - italian dictionaries and a business italian glosary. Can anyone tell me what is the best way to photoread all these books - in the home study course you are told to photoread at least 3 books a day.

Do you follow each step of the photoreading focus for all books seperately, or do you prepare and preview a group of books before photoreading them one after the other.

Obviously this does not just apply to my Italina books, I am going to need to read a lot of unfamiliar technical books which I currently keep putting off (I'm basically scared of how much I need to do !)

Can anyone out there give me any good hints/tips or suggestions. I would be eternally grateful !

Learning Strategies
Learning Strategies

When doing a group of books, such as three to ten a day, prepare and preview and PhotoRead each book separately.

Don't spend too much time preparing and previewing, especially if the books are similar in content (such as dictionaries). Actually, most people spend too much time getting into state--it takes me just a second. A minute should be sufficient for beginning PhotoReaders after they've followed the self-study course.

I prefer to follow the process of prepare, PhotoRead, and postview (instead of preview).

Try it to see what works best for you.

FraserB Offline OP
OP Offline

How do you preview/prepare a dictionary - do you look at the way the dictionary is laid out e.g. introduction, main body and any notes, or would a "quick flick through" suffice ???

Fraser

Learning Strategies
Learning Strategies

Depends on your purpose.

If you will be using the dictionary as a resource after the PhotoReading sessions then, yes, follow what you suggested.

If on the other hand, you plan to PhotoRead the book multiple times to help you learn the language without using the dictionary as a resource in the future, then limit your preview.

Learning Strategies Admin
Learning Strategies Admin

#dictionary

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved