Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#57426 12/12/06 07:35 PM
OP Offline

Recently I saw the Davinci Code with Tom Hanks in it. As a movie I thought it was pretty good as a mystery/adventure. Sort of in the same vein as "National Treasure" with Nicholas Cage.

The story goes on with physical clues and documentation regarding the blood line of Chirst and that this would shake the very foundation of the Church. The finding of the Holy Grail.

This left me less than satisfied because the blood line of Christ doesn't mean that new faith will be restored or miracles will happen. It only produces a pedigree....maybe.

Does this then mean they would have claim to all the property and buildings and wealth owned by the Churches? Not likely.

So what is the point of this whole story if nothing in it really matters. The truth has been rewritten and lost to time.

I think the real story is lost and not seen. The story of healings, long distance and close by. The talk of bringing the dead back to life. Turning water into wine. The education that took place and pulling people of all backgrounds together. Casting out demons, etc, etc.

None of that is in the movie and doubtful that any bloodline of Christ could do any of these things without instruction or divine gifting.

The movie was interesting but I don't think it had much to do with anything regarding Jesus and his teachings. Maybe it wasn't suppose to.

Along with Apollonius of Tyana there were several other Christ-like figures with different cults at various different times.

There are various different stories about the life of Christ.

I am no bible scholar, but it seems to me that it's pretty unlikely that Jesus was a historical figure, at least as we know him.

It's just through the machinations of men and chance that we have Christianity as it is today and not something else. People think that things as they are are such because it was destined in some way, but I seriously doubt that is the case.

What little study of the bible I have done has shown me that it's the work of man and not God... and the stories it presents are a collection taken from many similar stories found in various cultures at various times. The history of these stories is quite telling, too.

For instance, I forget which part of the bible it is, but there are parts where there are invocations to God that are basically phrases yoinked from the Canaanite's rituals to their god Baal.

The Hebrews came to live with the Canaanites. Hebrews were nomadic and not agricultural, so their god Yahweh had little to offer in terms of helping with the crops. So, the Hebrews, when it came to crops, would appeal to Baal.

As luck would have it, the Hebrews went from being politically, socially, and economically inferior to the Canaanites to being superior. As this occurred, Yahweh assimilated the characteristics of Baal and became a superior god. As typically happens, the gods of the winners become the more powerful and beneficent while the gods of the losers become demonized.

The bible, new testament and old, is more about man than it is about god, in my opinion.

I mean, you look at the history and what do you find? Not the glory and influence of god, but politics, social influences, etc. Humans.

Last edited by babayada; 12/13/06 05:12 AM.
OP Offline

Well, it would seem as though we should not let ourselves become confused with the facts.

There is that old saying " God protects the ignorant". If you don't know that somethings isn't right, then it will never really matter anyway, you don't have to worry about it.

The movie was entertaining but even when they located the alleged Holy Grail they still had no real proof.

We recently had a event here and one of the Hawaiian Cultural Teachers got up to speak. She talked about Hawaiian Blood, how do you prove this? You can't prove it by taking a blood test. They cannot prove you are Hawaiian from that one. Maybe a DNA test would reveal something, as an example through DNA testing it was found the Southeast Native Alaskans are decendents of the South Pacific Maori.

Is there a DNA sample to be had of Christ? Doubtful. What would that prove?
Maybe his past and curtural background. It doesn't verify biblical records.

At this time, only through documentation can we prove our past and then in Spirit live the life today through customs and traditions that are past down to us. To keep them alive and us grounded.

Their certainly are a lot of notions and views on who Jesus was but for me and what I have come to know on a deep level is Jesus taught us who we all are (Christ eternal) and how we can reawaken to that truth. That is what meditation does. The kingdom of heaven is within you. Just like all the great masters of the past also, they were also Christ. Elightenment.

Cheers,

Dorian

I think that what "Christ-hood" points to, along with Buddha-hood and the status of other spiritual figures, is a conception of the possible human.

The book "Destructive Emotions" provides very good examples of some modern notions concerning this.

This ideal is embodied from time to time by individuals by way of good genes and effort. They have achieved a state that can give us all hope.

In this sense, we are all Buddha and descendants of Christ, or potentially so.

I hope I am not misrepresenting him when I say I am with Joseph Campbell, who indicated that these figures, places, objects, etc. are all at once symbolic and immanent. That is, the River (or Cup) of Life is not the Nile or the Ganges. You don't have to take great personal risk by bathing in a dirty river just downstream of where they burn and dump copses. The River of Life is symbolic. Your appreciation of it is immanent.

Drinking water from a glass can be drinking from the Holy Grail if you look at it with the right kind of eyes and feel it with the right kind of heart.

Otherwise, I think, you indulge in foolishness that can put your personal well-being and the well-beings of those around you at great risk.

Some people kiss cobras because they take the figurative literally. That's bad mojo in my book.

Last edited by babayada; 01/04/07 08:11 AM.
OP Offline

Yes, this is also what I thought was bogus about the Davinci Code. It was all external. It was just a mystery thriller in a religious setting.

None of the story had anything to do with finding the light inside oneself. It was only a distraction to finding the truth.

Alot of the objects would be better served on the Antique road Show and make some money for charity.

Jeff

Moderated by  Wendy_Greer 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved