Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#58218 01/27/07 04:43 PM
OP Offline

I am hoping someone can help educate me on the different headphones that are available in stores today. Why are some so expensive and some sell just for $1? I tried to ask a guy at The Future Shop and he started getting into frequencies which left me confused than knowledged.

Thus far, I have been using $1.00 headphones to listen to the tapes because the buds fit comfortably in my ears. But from what the future shop guy told me, I could be losing the benefits if not listened to, with the right earphones.

Any recommendations and explanations would be appreciated.

Thanks
D2C

Actually, most low to mid priced headphones claim to have incredible frequency response, but very few can reproduce the low low frequencies they claim. The main advantage you will notice with using good full-size headphones or high quality IEMs (in-ear monitors) is improved clarity in the midrange (voice) and treble extension (which gives a sense of "airiness"). Also, the soundstage will be dramatically better - sounds extend many feet around your head instead of inside your head, with clear positioning of the various stereo sound effects.

A very good mid-priced choice is the Sony V6 (about $65). Shure and Ultimate ears make superb IEMs (I own the Shure e4). The best inexpensive buy are the Koss KSC35 ($30). I use them all the time despite having three pairs of $$$ phones. They are light, very comfortable, and sound amazing for the price. Great bass too - music sounds excellent.

Vikram #58220 01/29/07 01:45 AM

I am using Sennheiser PX-200 for all my paraliminals and hypnosis CD's.

I do also own a pair of Koss Porta Pro. Sennheiser PX-200 is more neutral with high resolution while Koss Porta Pro is more of a deep bass player.

I think I will recommend Sennheiser for hypnosis CD's and the Koss' for music.

Bjhn #58221 01/29/07 12:48 PM

I know that the Paraliminals are now built to contain Holosync technology produced by Centerpointe. For their meditation based upon Holosyn they recommend a type of headphones which have the widest possible frequency response (6 Hz - 23000 kHz). Although we do not hear below a certain frequency, the binaural stimulation still takes place and has an effect on the person. For the initial level of Holosync there is not specification about the headphones, but as soon as the person gets into the personalised levels, headphones do matter alot.

Upon their recommendation I bought the MDR-EX71SL, which are Sony's first closed type FontopiaŽ Design Bud Style Headphones. This is what they say about them: hear the powerful, resonant bass response. Additional features include a Super-light In-the-Ear Design, New, Super-Small 9 mm Drivers which are ultra-compact drivers that produce powerful sound with space left over for the sonic isolation of our newly-designed Soft Silicon Earbuds. Two Sizes of Earbuds that accommodate a full range of ears, a 400 kJ/m? a Ultra-High-Power Neodymium Magnet, a Hard Carrying Case, and Earbud Holder are also supplied.

The cost for such high quality device is only US$40 or so. This is a real bargain. Although the quality of the sound is excellent, they break easily (the plastic cover comes off at the attachment to the ear bud and uncovers the wire... i had mine replaced a few times by Sony under warranty). Go to Amazon for problems encountered by people. Here in Australia, it appears Sony has withdrawn the product from the market. They have replace it with a white equivalent, which is not yet available.

Maybe Alex can comment on the headphone requirements related to the Paraliminals. I think that ear bud models are much preferred to others since some of the Paraliminal tracks can be listened to while asleep.

uniquesoul #58222 01/30/07 05:50 PM
OP Offline

Great, I have a choices now. I looked at Sennheiser and they look cute, but I still have to research the price range as the site doesn't mention price.
http://www.sennheiser.ca/main.php?node=ct_00&type=1

Thank you ALL - I will look into Koss and MDR-EX71SL as well. Hopefully it won't be too difficult to choose.

I hope they all HOLD WELL (the wires I mean) especially since I listen to other programs that are designed especially for listening while I am sleeping (Like the Universal Mind).

Thanks again!

Despite the Centerpointe recommendation, I think for the price the MDR EX71 are crap. All the cheap Sony buds just don't cut it. The KSC 35s are far superior, and although they are a clip on type, they are so comfortable, you forget they are on, and I fall asleep with them on very often. They also have a lifetime warranty. If they break, they will replace 'em for free. =)

Some links for you (I am a headphone fan!):

http://www.head-fi.org

http://www.headphone.com/

http://www.koss.com/koss/kossweb.nsf/p?openform&pc%5Esc%5EKSC35

Vikram #58224 02/01/07 10:05 PM

Bjhn #58225 02/02/07 11:52 AM
OP Offline

You guys are absolutely wonderful! Thank you. Will let you know what I decided to go with.

Cheerio

In my view, you need to ask Learning Strategies and Centerpointe which are they frequency requirements to obtain the maximum benefit from their products. If the lowest frequency goes below 15 Hz, then Koss, Sennheiser, etc will not pick it up and you will lose the benefit of the program. Maybe Alex can comment about Paraliminals, etc.

uniquesoul #58227 02/05/07 01:56 AM

$20---that's ALL you need to buy some really nice headphones! Buy them from a place like Best Buy or Circuit City which have a 30 day return policy. I have found that the $20 headphones available today are better than the $100 headphones I bought in the early '90's.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Wendy_Greer 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved