Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

This story is as old as the health food business is. I worked in that industry for many years, and it probably is true that the pharmaceutical companies are trying to control the situation, after all they are in the patent business.

However-

I have seen dangerous claims made by *some* sellers and producers of natural medicines. Especialy the multi level marketing types! I have also seen contaminated and unsafe materials being sold. So far, the legislattion I have seen passed has encouraged producers and sellers to provide eduational materials to consumers, and forced many to follow the Good Manufacturing Practices and ISO systems.

Health consiousness in very mainstream now, so much so that you can get organics, nutrients, and herbal remedies in almost any supermarket. While the buyers are much more educated than they used to be, there still needs to be protection for those who do not follow the current nutrition research, and for those who may not recognize that many "natural" remedies are in fact pharmacologicaly active (they DO work, after all, dont they?) and there may be a posibility of adverse reaction when combined with other drugs or therapies.

vitaman

Quote:

I have also seen contaminated and unsafe materials being sold.

I can attest to that - my mother and aunt were taking some liquid stuff that was supposed to do all sorts of miraculous things - they both ended up severely infected with parasites. My mother ended up with a large worm. My aunt (who at age 85 is easily lead and just a bit of a fanatic about "health food") still doesn't believe this was the cause, and she's still slurping the stuff, as supposedly it WILL help her. In the meantime she is picking her skin off her body, where some of the parasites are supposedly coming to the surface to die. I had my mother's stuff analyzed, and that's how I got her off of it.

As vita-man indicated, there are some wild claims made by these multi-level marketing people (this was one such case), and a bit of regulation at least on these kinds of things would definitely be in order.

I'm not cheering on the pharma-mafia's out there either - but we do need to find a better way to know what is or is not safe to use.

Cheers!
Unis

Unis,

That is absolutely horrible.

Did you report the manufacturer of that stuff?

No - because I also noticed that shortly after this, many of the people, at least locally in Ontario, stopped offering it. I had noticed several web-sites of holistic practitioners (reiki, hypnosis, etc.) offering this as a "side-line", and all of a sudden they stopped. So someone must have complained.

My aunt, at 85 is a bit shoeless in the head department, and won't here of it that this is what is at the base of her "parasitic infestation" problem. She get's her stuff imported from the US by a local distributor (who apparently doesn't care whose health they ruin). I haven't talked about it with my mom for a while, so maybe she finally did convince her sister to stop taking it - hopefully.

Cheers!
Unis

Good news...

The government in New Zealand had a similar bill on the agenda.
Due to massive pressure on the political parties and MP's the
bill has been canceled.

The govenment did not have the numbers to make it law.

Well done follks...

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Wendy_Greer 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved