Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#59689 04/30/07 11:46 AM
matthat Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi I was wondering how long it takes you guys to get in to the accelerated learning state - I still use the learning course disk 7 to guide my photoreading, the disadvantage of this is I need to prepare and cant really use it in the office because people wonder why I have my eyes closed and am wearing headphones.

Ideally I would like to be able to go instantly in to state and photoread anywhere and everywhere so I'm wondering how long this might take and any exercises that might help me to get to this quickly.

matthat Offline OP
OP Offline

bump!

any thoughts \ comments?

I'm not an expert, although I have experience that teaches me that I truly have benefitted from photoreading. I take almost no time to get into state. I just let my eyes prove it to me. When the book is before me in soft focus, either with the blip page or with the four corners kind of 'evident' to me, then I'm ready. I might take a breath or two first. Also I try not to be irritated about something else.

You know what the hardest part of photoreading is? It's caring about the book enough to have an active purpose, an active question chain, to use in looking through it afterwards. I think that many people, when they read, just want the book to do the work. They want the author to get that information into their heads with no effort. The traditional reading technique is very passive towards the text: even when many notes are taken the comprehension in a global sense is quite passive. Wanting to think actively takes commitment. Perhaps the corollary to this is: wanting to have a reason to read, also takes commitment. Think about that: to read actively, you have to actively produce within yourself a reason to read. I think many readers leave even that to the author.

matthat Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Carl, very interesting and I wonder, how many books did you PR before you could get in to state that quickly?

I don't remember exactly. I think it wasn't very many. I was probably ready with the first one. I just went with the blip page and accepted that that was it. I forget whether they emphasize this in the book or in Alex's posts, but basically, if you see the blip or see the book softly, and at any rate if you aren't preoccupied with the evils of your boss or how your company is being subject to a hostile takeover or something, then you're set to go!

matthat Offline OP
OP Offline

hmmm interesting... I certainly note that I do change state as soon as I go in to photofocus, I'll try a quick 3-2-1 just to focus my attention and see how I get on. Cheers.

Very interesting advice Carl.

especially the point about the having an active purpose,
makes me wonder if I'm approaching it in the right context.

I mean, I adore books but I guess I come to them with the feeling that whoever has written this knows more than I know so has something to teach me.
And being so ingrained with stereotype of the teacher standing at head of class and "imparting" knowledge on the passively sitting student, I guess one goes into that mode even when reading - I'm interested in your material, now give me all the information/knowledge you have.

My question is, how do you get out of that frame?
Is it just your self talk?
how do I know for sure I'm doing one and not the other?

matthat Offline OP
OP Offline

What if, instead of imagining yourself in a classroom, with all of the behavioural connotations that such a situation has, you imagine yourself in more comfortable surroundings, sat beside the author, who has made him \ herself available to help you with your studies, so you can just be comfortable with asking any questions that help you reach your purpose?

Does that time become more precious? Does your thirst for the knowledge increase? Does your purpose take better shape?

Yes, Yes sounds ideal.
Will try it and see...
Thnx

Yes, I like this image as well. Thank you for offering it!

Quote:

What if, instead of imagining yourself in a classroom, with all of the behavioural connotations that such a situation has, you imagine yourself in more comfortable surroundings, sat beside the author, who has made him \ herself available to help you with your studies, so you can just be comfortable with asking any questions that help you reach your purpose?

Does that time become more precious? Does your thirst for the knowledge increase? Does your purpose take better shape?

blessings,

Steve
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved