Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#5984 05/15/03 08:16 AM
Hoss Offline OP
OP Offline

Here is a link to one site that deals with open focus. You can probably find others using a search engine like Google or Hotbot.
http://www.openfocus.com/

#5985 05/15/03 08:24 AM
Hoss Offline OP
OP Offline

Here is a link to one site that deals with open focus. You can probably find others using a search engine like Google or Hotbot.
http://www.openfocus.com/

#5986 05/15/03 08:28 AM
Hoss Offline OP
OP Offline

If I find others, I will post them.

#5987 05/17/03 06:22 AM

I'm thinking of ordering the 1st and 2nd tape series. Can you offer some more detailed info regarding Open focus. Specifically, how has it helped you deal with stress? What have you been able to accomplish in life since using Open Focus? Thanks.

#5988 05/17/03 04:54 PM
Hoss Offline OP
OP Offline

Well, like I said earlier, I was able to deal with a mild obsessive-compulsive disorder using these tapes. This was something that I had struggled with since I was a teenager. Each set of tapes has a lesson specifically designed to help you deal with 'pain'. Pain is anything that brings you discomfort. It could be tension, physical pain, anxiety, or in your case, the stress that you mentioned. You can use the exercises for feeling or experience that overwhelms you.

The voice will ask you to visualize your pain as accurately as possible. You will be asked to feel where the pain is stored in your body. He will ask you to notice as many details about your pain like color, texture, size, e.t.c.. I noticed that my obsessive-compulsive disorder was primarily focused along my esophagus. Once you can see and feel the pain, you will be asked to allow yourself to be totally and completely engulfed by it, without actually being overwhelmed by it. You will have to relax into it and let everything that comes flow naturally. You will also have to remain focused on all aspects your pain at the same time that you experience it to its fullest. The most important thing is to avoid resisting anything that comes while doing this. Believe me, this is not pleasant!

The reason for all of this is that any pain that overwhelms you has some roots in the subconscious mind. If you want to release it, you will have to bring it into your consciousness. The more you do this, the less hold your painful experiences will have on you. I believe it would be very helpful for you in dealing with your stress. I used it to help me overcome some massive panic attacks I had in public situations. I have always suffered with a social phobia that caused me to have panic attacks in public situations. A friend of mine let me borrow his tapes to see if they might help. I really didn't think that anything would be able to help me because the attacks were just too powerful. I tried them, though, and the effects were amazing. These tapes triggered some pretty massive attacks while I was listening, and there were times that I felt pain in my joints after listening. However, I haven't had a panic attack in over a year! Listening to the tapes on releasing pain was, in itself, very painful, but if I hadn't used them, I would still be having the panic attacks.

Open Focus can be some pretty nasty medicine that will do some very good things if you use it.

#5989 05/18/03 04:18 PM
Hoss Offline OP
OP Offline

Anytime you have stress in your life that consistantly gets you down, it is because the brain has not adapted to it. Our brains automatically try to suppress painful emotions or events as a defense mechanism. Of course, the memory remains and so does the impact it has on your life. More importantly, since the brain has effectively tucked it away into the subconscious mind, it does not learn to handle the stress more effectively. IMHO, it actually becomes more vulnerable to stress. The mind has some very creative ways of avoiding pain. Some people try to distract themselves by overeating, watching too much TV, e.t.c.. Bill Harris, the president of Centerpointe, wrote about this in his book.

Open Focus is great because it FORCES your brain to deal with the things that are stressing you. You will be asked to imagine the pain that is overwhelming you in as much detail as possible. Whatever pain you have in your life, you will have to experience (as much as possible) while listening to the tapes. It doesn't matter what causes your stress - it is effective against anything that affects you negatively. When I was trying to deal with my panic attacks, I actually had to create a panic attack while listening. I tried my best to relax and to surrender to the experience. Not to sound crude, but my nervous system had to vomit up some truly toxic feelings and beliefs. I use the word vomit because that is really what it felt like. The interesting thing is that the more I used the tapes, the more the negative feelings began to separate from me. Eventually, they completely lost their hold.

#5990 05/19/03 03:18 AM

The amazing thing about Open Focus, is that it can also eliminate physical pain. I had a very bad cold and sore throat when I got to the seminar, and after going through the practice of about 20 min, and working with the pain of the sore throat, I found that the pain had completely gone! It was almost that a magic throat lozenge had been applied.

A lot of times, the source of chronic physical pain in the body, such as shoulder muscle or neck pain can have mental origins. Practice of Open Focus can reduce or eliminate such pain completely, by dissolving the mental and physical blocks causing the pain.

#5991 05/19/03 05:35 AM
Hoss Offline OP
OP Offline

I don't entirely understand why open focus works so well on physical pain. It sure does, though!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Wendy_Greer 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved