Quote:

Back to Alex:

You could easily run a list of words through your mind and literally vision in your mind thousands of words at a time. The conscious mind can definitely process way more than 560 words per minute. I mean, just try it. Close your eyes and envision a long list of words going through from top to bottom. The list can contain any words, and just sort of highlight each word as you pass it, to show that you are thinking of real words. You could very well see that your conscious mind can think more than you said it could.

Ironically we are on the same wavelength. It's something I demonstrate in my class and even people who don't know how to speed read get the point.

Speed reading as it's taught moving the eyeballs faster on the page is just trying to teach people to consciously read faster. That cannot be done with the conscious mind it requires a peripheral view. That is, allowing the bigger part of your mind to do the processing. Those who succeed with in speed reading courses getting over speeds of 6000 wpm are the ones Paul studied. He wanted to find out what they were doing differently and then wanted to teach others to do what they did. That's how he came to develop the PhotoReading course.

So there is speed reading, trying to consciously comprehend each word which courts have ruled as skimming and not reading.

There is the speed reading skill a few develop on their own that allows them to go faster than the majority who have learned speed reading, trusting the mind to do what it does naturally.

And then there is PhotoReading which teaches others how to do what the 1 in 100 of speed readers stumble onto. That it is the mind that reads not the eyes.

Alex