Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
CPW1 Offline OP
OP Offline

Think of the ten best life changing books you ever read. Now write down and tell me the top 3 books.

Bearing in mind that I'm older than dirt, and a couple of these are mostly older books--

1. The I Ching
2. The Touch of Healing by Alice Burmeister
3. Christian Astrology by William Lilly

All of these have opened my eyes to a whole universe of new possibilities. All three came into my life in unusual ways: two of them fell off a bookshelf right in front of me (one of them gave my big toe a big bruise), and the third kept appearing wherever I went, even though it had been out of print for years. Finally, I got the hint and bought it.

Here's why for each of them:

1. I-Ching (toe-bruiser)--At the time, I wasn't inclined to delve into such a large book, and when I made my first attempt, it seemed like "Greek" to me. But as I continued reading, it sucked me in, and not only was I hooked, but I started seeing life in a totally different way. I do not use it for divination (although some do, and successfully at that), but as a little morning lesson to ponder every day.

2. Touch of Healing (foot bumper)--The ONE book for the "energy" medicine cabinet. Amazing to discover that I didn't necessarily need meds for most things. Opened up a whole world of feeling better without side effects, especially when I use it with my Reiki training.

3. Christian Astrology (the stalking book)--When it appeared in my life, I had been taught that you should never use astrology for prediction, but only for character analysis. William Lilly, in his quaint language, taught me otherwise, and deepened and widened my understanding of how the universe works, and how to work with it as opposed to against it. The I Ching and this book have much in agreement, although they address different aspects of what we now call "the field."

I've read a lot of good books since, and in between, but I'll go with these three for most life-changing.

Hi,
Super achievers??
Like Jeanne I too am older than dirt,haha.

The books which I consider the most influential are many more than three, but here goes.

YOU FOREVER by Lobsang Rampa
This was published in the 1960s as part of a whole series of books starting with the THIRD EYE. These books are what made me seriously realize that I am not my body and started me on the path.

A COURSE IN MIRACLES
A daily lesson for every day, lasting a whole year which can move you on and help you to make great strides spiritually.If you follow the lessons and persist. The writing can be a bit pedantic, but sometimes, there it is ! that phrase which lifts you and you instantly recognise as truth, and this book contains many.

THE POWER OF NOW - Eckhart Tolle
Charts Eckharts awakening and journey to becoming a writer and spiritual teacher. It is an amazing book with so many insights.

Along with these I'd have to add the Bhaghavad Gita. Indias ancient spiritual tradition cloaked in the stories of Arjuna and his journey.

As a reading list for a spiritual seeker I'd definitely include all the above as they have helped me enormously.
I think as you only ask for Life Changing books you are going to end up with a massive list as everyone is seeking and their priorities differ.
Enjoy
Love and light
Faune

Florence Scovel Shinn, The Game of life and How to Play it.

Nothing else comes close. It's the one book I keep buying, over and over, and have given away to others.

All the best,

- V

Big Mind by Genpo Roshi
Art of the Warrior, Shambhala Press
Invisible Path by Bob Scheinfeld(his following books were based on this basic one)

1. A New Earth, Eckhart Tolle
2. Conversations with God, Neal Donald Walsh
3. The Power of Intention, Dr. Wayne Dyer

1) Busting loose from the money game. by Robert Scheinfeld

2) Don't think of a pink elephant. by John Mace

Nice thread.

I'm gonna have to agree with whoever said

The power of your subconcious mind, by Murphy.

Think and grow Rich, Hill

And add a couple

Lucifer principle. Howard Bloom

The Power of Myth Joseph Conrad

The God Delusion Richard Dawkins

Chimpanzee Politics Frans DerWaal

Learning Strategies
Learning Strategies

I've read many, many, many, many...

Two stopped me in my tracks and absolutely shifted my life.

"Illusions" by Richard Bach
I read that on my 23rd birthday.

"You Can Have It All" by Arnold Patent
I read that shortly after Paul Scheele and I met.

I have a knack for finding personal nuggets in books, but those were loaded with golden boulders.

Pete

I like your question although these days many people are expanding into experiencial or lifestyle applied information. Most times a book just doesn't do this no matter how good it is.

As an example the top three list in my daily practice would be:

Holosync Meditation
Spring Forest Qigong
Sedona Method/Release Technic handed down from Lester Levenson

Moderated by  Wendy_Greer 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved