Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#64517 02/26/08 06:05 PM
bethann Offline OP
OP Offline

I found these great headphones online for sleeping. They are perfect for listening to the sleep tracks. So anyone who has avoided doing that because of discomfort should check these out.
http://www.sleepphones.com/

Thank you I will do that.

Thanks. I bought a cheap cd player so I can have small speakers next to my head when I sleep. Although I don't always sleep on my back. I didn't catch the price when I looked at the site, i'll have to go again. Here is another site I found awhile back for pillow speakers that looked interesting.

I think they're only $2o or so. Not bad, I haven't bought them but since this is posted I figured I'd share it with everyone.

http://www.tomnicoli.com/pillow-speaker.shtml

Dan

Thanks... they sound really good. I am checking with Centerpointe how compatible they are with the Holosync technology which is also part of the latest Paraliminals.

For those who want more info from actual users, I see amazon.com lists the item, and it has about 9 reviews from customers. Most rave--a couple of the reviews cited problems.

I just might give this thing a try. Regular headphones, earbuds, etc., are extremely uncomfortable and actually prevent sleep for me. I also don't have much luck with "pillow phone" types of devices, since you don't get the benefits of the Holosync and/or paraliminal technology.

I bought really cheap headphones (the kind you stick in your ears) at Dollerama for a buck. I sleep very well in them, and hear my Paraliminals quite well.

You're only young once, but you can be immature forever.

I am querying the AcousticSheep company about the minimum frequency of the headphones. They admitted that the 0 Hz as minimum was wrong. The lady tested the headphones on her computer and found out that the minimum of 10 Hz. She added that it was a function of the computer not being about to increase the volume. Again this was wrong. For advanced Holosync tracks you need 6 Hz as the lowest frequency.

I do find ear buds uncomfortable; they have created some infection in my ears. So I would love to buy the AcousticSheep product. They have a very simplistic approach to brain entrainment, which they produce with the CD's which come with the headphones. Their carrier frequencies are very high, like 180 Hz or so.

So the message is: watch out what you buy and, if not sure, query the seller and the producer of your meditation tracks to make sure you don't waste your money or loose the benefit of your meditation. I know somebody who wasted years of meditation since she didn't pay attention to the frequency range of the headphones.

UniqueSoul and DebDeb--U.S. is so right, you really do need to pay attention to the frequencies. You CAN get what you need with some inexpensive (relatively) headphones, but you need to check and be sure. It isn't so much what you can consciously hear--it's the subtle sounds that do a lot of the heavy lifting on these cds.

I agree with Jeanne. Unfortunately, AcousticSheep has not got back to me after the initial response about the frequency of their headphones, when they provided incorrect information. They have taken the information on the frequency off their website and not replaced it yet. So I would be very weary to buy their product until they provide more technical information, if you are at more advanced levels of brain entrainment. I still like the format of their headphones though. I hope they will clarify matters about the frequency.

Hi Folks!

Claire handles the customer service emails for the SleepPhones product here at AcousticSheep. She forwarded the exchange in question to me. (I'm more involved in the technical side of things.)

I think this is the response that might be considered controversial:
"I guess you make a good point about no vibrations at 0 Hz. It's just the typical manufacturer designation f0-20kHz. I just tested a pair of our headphones. The minimum detectable frequency is 20Hz using my MacBook. Perhaps if I used a more powerful player, I can hear the 10Hz."

Amplifiers actually DO have minimum and maximum frequency ratings - but I've got no idea what they might be on a MacBook. I figure this is a moot point here, though, as merely listening really isn't an appropriate way to evaluate speakers at frequencies below the range of human hearing (20Hz). I'm aware that some people can hear tones even down to 17Hz, but unfortunately the track she was using for testing only works in increments of 10Hz. Thus it's not surprising to me that she's not hearing anything below 20Hz.

Anyway, the frequency response range numbers on our website come from a datasheet provided by our speaker manufacturer. They should still be up there - I don't think anyone has taken them down. Personally, though, I don't consider these numbers to be very useful, even though I know they are often all consumers have to go by. Instead, it's the frequency response chart that counts. If the response drops off too quickly after a certain point, I don't expect that tracks which rely on frequencies below that point will be effective. I consider this to be the case even if the "official" cited frequency response number is much lower. Here's an article that explains what I'm talking about (even though the included charts don't go below 20Hz):
http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/34579/131062.html

On our end, we've very carefully evaluated a great number of speakers looking for the best ones we could find with the size and shape we need. The testing we've done here at AcousticSheep, though, has only covered the range of human hearing (20Hz to 20kHz). This is because we don't have access to an "electronic ear" device which can handle infrasonic frequencies (under 20Hz).

Therefore, I do not feel comfortable recommending our SleepPhone product for applications that depend on frequencies below the accepted range of human hearing. (These would include HoloSync's "Awakening Level 4" and beyond.) The last thing I want is for our customers to purchase our product for an application that it's not suited for.

I've actually tracked down a chart for our speakers since my last email to uniquesoul. It looks like anything down to 20Hz will be fine. (Which would cover any HoloSync programs up to but not including "Awakening Level 4".) I can't be certain of anything below 20Hz, though, as that's where the chart ends.

Up to now, we've just been quoting the frequency range provided by our speaker manufacturer. I've just requested specific measurements for the range below 20Hz, as determined by an appropriate "electronic ear" device. These should provide a fuller picture. I'll keep everyone posted.

I hope this clears up any confusion. If anyone has any further questions, please feel free to contact us! It's our goal at AcousticSheep and SleepPhones.com to be as accessible as possible. Also, I do want to apologize again to uniquesoul for not answering his questions sooner - I was forwarded an email exchange and genuinely didn't realize there were questions left in there that I was meant to answer.

Thanks for reading this far!

Jason H. Wolfe, CTO
AcousticSheep LLC

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Wendy_Greer 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved