Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#64676 03/17/08 09:03 PM
OP Offline

Just want to know again: while SR is it normal that i don't see the whole line?

AndriDem #64677 03/18/08 11:41 AM

Ya! its normal.
But with practices suggested in the PR book, you can improve your vision to full lines and even paragraphs.

Ganesh #64678 03/27/08 02:41 PM
Learning Strategies Admin

You run your eyes down the middle of the page, making a column which is about an inch to an inch and a half wide. Your eyes will jump outside that column. If you need to dip anything along the edges. Trust the process.

AlexK

OP Offline

One last question that bothers me in the process of activation: If i SR or skitter, I sometimes don't get the meaning of the sentences or the paragraphs.Like in skittering: i recognize all the words, paying attention to those that carry meanings and still don't get what was this paragraph about(sometimes I forget what was this particular sentences or paragraph about). Is this normal?

P.S thanks for your replies
AndriDem

AndriDem #64680 03/30/08 09:54 AM

If you don't get the meaning it probably isn't relevant to your purpose or question.

The conscious mind can only handle 7 plus or minus 2 bits of information a second. In order to have something conscious you have to for the time being forget everything else.

AlexK

OP Offline

Ok, for example there will be a paragraph about the Estonian independence: Who fought for it, where did it happen and so on. What if I recognize the useful parts and still can't remember them? (it is a part of my purpose)

Best wishes,
AndriDem

AndriDem #64682 03/30/08 03:57 PM

Mind map. Mind mapping aids the memory. Create associations using your memory web. Mind mapping is the easiest way to do that.

It's important when you learn something new that you have no connection with to create the connections for remembering. The more you do that the more automatic it becomes so it seems like you're just remembering

Another technique is analograffiti.

AlexK

OP Offline

But remembering is one thing - understanding another. If I understand correctly: All the unknown phrases or paragraphs, that I put in my mind map will help me understand the material? Using 3-4 words like in the manual is said.

AndriDem #64684 03/31/08 01:01 AM

You asked me about remembering.
Quote:

What if I recognize the useful parts and still can't remember them? (it is a part of my purpose)

I've never met anyone who mind mapped and didn't understand what they were mind mapping about.

AlexK

OP Offline

OK, i will while SR keeping my purpose and my questions in mind and trust my intuition. Then everything important will go to my mind map.

But i've read here somewhere, that you can combine skittering and SR. How?

Best wishes,
Andridem

P.S Sorry for bothering you
Thanks for your help!

Last edited by AndriDem; 04/01/08 03:43 AM.
AndriDem #64686 04/01/08 03:57 AM
OP Offline

My experience yesterday:

I've found a book(a textbook) about politics with a lot of chapters in it. My purpose was: To learn this material, so that i could pass the exam and fulfill my dream becoming a lawyer.

Since it was a book with chapters, i've started to treat each chapter like a book. Sadly i had only time to "deal" only with one chapter.

1)I set my purpose
2)Tried to relax, like in the book was told
3)Did a preview, watched how everything is structured there
4)Photoread the whole book, and then the chapter i wanted to activate
5)Postview: I found some trigger words and set some questions, that I wanted to be answered
6)Incubation: relaxed for 20 minutes. Watched TV, drank some water
7)Activation:
8)I picked 1 question and asked myself "Where could i find the answers". For starters i didn't pick a lot of information, so I was a little confused. To get a better understanding of the material, I started skittering. It really helped - i could answer something to all of my questions.(I've put everything on my mindmap)
9)I SR the chapter for another 2 questions. I found some new information, that i didn't pick up from skittering(With a new color in my mindmap)
10)Then i did skittering again. Didn't find anything new.

Right now I think i've got everything from the chapter. If i close my eyes, I can even see where everything is located(the exact spot).

But the only thing that bothers me - it took me 1 hour for this whole process.

AndriDem #64687 04/01/08 05:18 AM

Only had time to deal with one chapter?

Don't let time get away. Set a timer, keep to your purpose.

How long did you preview?

How long did you postview, how many questions did you write down and how many trigger words did you write down.

Where did you start looking when you asked where could I find the answer? Did you use the index, table of content? or just open the book?

How long was your activation pass?

Quote:

For starters i didn't pick a lot of information, so I was a little confused.

Welcome to the beginners experience. Confusion is good it means the mind is working on accessing the neural networks.

Yep skittering usually is the best option for textbooks.

Textbooks often take 25 to 100 hours to complete with traditional reading. Depending on how complex and new the information is for you it's possible that 1 hour is excellent time. You might have been reading it 2 or 3 times with traditional reading to get the same confident knowledge of where everything is located.

Two suggestions.

Use the system first on a couple of 200 page non-fiction books that you are interested in. Move away from textbooks until you understand the system confidently to determine what you need to adjust when it is taking too long in a textbook. You get that experience faster with non-fiction books than textbooks.

AlexK

OP Offline

Yeah, sadly it took me 1 hour

1)Previewed ... about 30 seconds
2)Postviewed ... 5-7 minutes
3)I had 10 question (One question per trigger word)
4)I searched for answers while opening the book. There wasn't necessary to use table of contents since i worked only with one chapter
5)Yes, skittering gives me more security. But still i want to practice SR.
6)OK, i will try to get the needed experience by using non-fiction books.

Best wishes,
AndriDem

AndriDem #64689 04/01/08 04:31 PM

5-7 minutes? Why didn't you set a timer.

Biggest mistake is not to stop activating after 20 minutes (30 max) It often means you are drifting into passive reading.

Use a timer and take control of your reading time.

AlexK

OP Offline

OK. Next time will do. I noticed one funny thing while SR: As i picked 1 question out of my list, i started dipping(everything came from intuition)in a place, where the answer wasn't hidden.(My question was based on a political issue, but i dipped in a place where it was written about families). Is it normal? Does my brain really made a connection between politics and family all by itself?

Best wishes,
AndriDem

AndriDem #64691 04/02/08 12:48 AM

That's what you PhotoRead the book for. For your body mind to connect it so your conscious mind recognises it.

Alex

OP Offline

Another test:

I had to do homework (the same book)

A chapter again (3 pages)

1)Preview - 5-10 seconds
2)Postview - 3-4 minutes
3)6 trigger words = 6 questions
4)PR - 10 seconds
5)I used SR(since i had nothing to lose) and it took me 20 minutes to activate the whole material. Now i think i've got everything.

One question: If i found the answer, should I put it right away on my mind map or should I wait until I browsed for all answers in the book and then put everything together?

AndriDem #64693 04/02/08 05:47 AM

Quote:

One question: If i found the answer, should I put it right away on my mind map or should I wait until I browsed for all answers in the book and then put everything together?

Up to you. Either at the end of an activation pass or as you go. I always drop the pen as soon as I've made a quick note. Prevents getting hooked on writing. Usually I will just write a word to recall something that wasn't related to the question to help me explore the idea further.

Alex

OP Offline

OK. I think i've got everything so far. But have you ever managed to activate a chapter of a textbook in less than 15-20 minutes? If yes, how long does it take you to do it now? (let us say a 6 page chapter)

AndriDem #64695 04/02/08 12:42 PM

It doesn't matter how long it takes me. It's relative. Depends on prior knowledge, interest and need.

If you give me a book and I have no interest in the subject I'd probably blow a raspberry and give it back to you. Just because I'm a PhotoReader doesn't mean I have to waste my time of stuff that doesn't interest or benefit me.;)

Naturally if it's part of a course curriculum I'd find a way to stimulate my curiosity and remember my purpose. For me less is more. If I can get away with just PhotoReading and letting the classroom be the activation then that's good enough. I did that for the 6 week intensive course I took. While everyone was reading the text and instructions I just PhotoRead them let the classroom be the activation. When I needed to know more I opened the manual.

As long as it takes less time it doesn't matter. You get better at it the more you use it. You know when the book has gelled for you. And it's probably sooner than you think. Just our old reading habits are hard to kick.

AlexK

OP Offline

Quote:

Just our old reading habits are hard to kick.

Yes, that is the main problem! But when was the first time you released your old reading habits?

Best wishes,
AndriDem

AndriDem #64697 04/02/08 02:30 PM

Why do you want to know?

AlexK

OP Offline

Sometimes it is amazing to hear how people start to believe something that is unbelievable in our minds.

AndriDem #64699 04/02/08 11:36 PM

Sometimes it creates disappointment to realise that you're not on their timeline. Too many people compare rather than just do it.

Alex

OP Offline

A third test

Right now i am capable to complete my activation in 20 minutes(5 page chapter)

1)5-6 min preview (7 trigger words = 7 questions)
2)30-40 sec Photoreading
3)1 min - postview(to see where everything is located)
4)Incubation 20 min
5)Activation - 20 min

I think i've got everything but to stay on the safe side, I will Rapid read this material

Best wishes,
AndriDem

AndriDem #64701 04/03/08 11:08 AM

Have you already PhotoRead the whole book? If so it isn't necessary to PhotoRead it again. And if you do PhotoRead it again include the two chapters before and two chapters after as well (especially if it's only 5 pages)

Also for so few pages do only a single 7 minute activation and that's fairly generous but it's more than enough if you're going to follow it with a rapid read anyway.

AlexK

OP Offline

I am photoreading only chapters. And the magical thing about SR is that it works by itself. What I mean is that my eyes are deciding all by itself where to photoread. And i can't go further before i dipped in. And I feel really that the paragraphs gel. But i sometimes i have doubts about this process. I mean that i am just regular reading(although i understand that I am not). But i think this feeling will soon disappear.

Mind maps are great. They help me to remember important dates. But someday i want to remember them without making notes, but until the time has come I will do mind mapping.

Best wishes,
AndriDem

AndriDem #64703 04/03/08 11:37 AM

I suggest you PhotoRead the whole book and be done with it. Then you just need to activate the chapters.

AlexK

OP Offline

Ok will do. Is it normal that sometimes a newbie photoreader feels that he is regular reading although he knows he is not?

Best wishes,
AndriDem

AndriDem #64705 04/03/08 12:11 PM

It's normal for a newbie to fall into the trap of regular reading. When dipping keep it short remember to pull out and get back to superreading when you have some of it but not quite all of it.

AlexK

OP Offline

Is it necessary to make brakes between the paragraphs(the activation of them)?

Best wishes,
AndriDem

AndriDem #64707 04/03/08 12:38 PM

The breaks come in the time you set for yourself. Superreading your eyes run down the centre of the page and only stop to dip when you are drawn to something. On the whole it's a sweeping movement over all the paragraphs.

AlexK

AndriDem #64708 04/03/08 03:56 PM
OP Offline

While i Superreaded i felt i bit tired and i noticed a strange thing: I knew where the answer was(exactly), but as i browsed through the page I couldn't find a place to dip, as if my intuition wasn't working.

Best wishes,
AndriDem

AndriDem #64709 04/04/08 07:30 AM

Quote:

i felt i bit tired... as if my intuition wasn't working.

Like a dog chasing it's tail. If you're tired you need to rest. Things don't work too well when you're tired. Goodness knows there's a lot of research out there about that

AlexK

OP Offline

Today was i disapointing day.

I SR a paragraph, but unlike the other days - I couldn't dip into something. I felt like my brain is turned off. I wasn't tired or something, maybe a little bit sad(bad day at school). Could this be that emotions are surpassing my intuition?

Best wishes,
AndriDem

AndriDem #64711 04/06/08 09:42 AM

It could also be you weren't connected to your purpose and mind probing questions. Move on. It happens like days you still manage to tie your shoelaces in a knot and you learned to tie shoelaces years ago.

AlexK

Hey,

I agree with Alex, I've run into the same problem many times before.

Most often, it wasn't related to my purpose, other times, like what could've been the trouble with AndriDem, I had too much on my mind, the cause being a bad day in school, argument with a family member, etc.

If you feel your emotions are surpassing your intution, try not thinking. If there's one great thing I got out of the Reading Genius course, it's that thoughts are what cause stress, and are what help surpress our natural ability to learn.

Before activating or Photoreading, try clearing your mind of thoughts.

Breathe in deeply. Wait until you feel five heartbeats, or more if you can, then breathe out. Don't put your hand up to your chest, just feel your heart beating against the inside of your body.

In order to really feel the heartbeats, your mind is almost forced to quiet down. This, I found, is a great addition to the Photoreading method of getting into the ideal state of mind.

-JackTuff13

Jacktuff13 #64713 04/06/08 07:42 PM
OP Offline

Hi Jacktuff13!

Thanks for your advices!

To reach the ideal state of mind is not such easy for me. I always feel pressure in my head, as if someone is pressing it. I will follow your advice!

Best wishes,
AndriDem

P.S I already feel that PR is working for me.

AndriDem #64714 04/10/08 08:39 AM
OP Offline

I am learning the material much better now thanks to SR and dipping...

But
1)Is it normal to forget after 4 days what you've learned (dates, names, etc)
2) If my conscious and non conscious minds are strong then it will be more easier to activate? And by PR i am training it? That is how i understood?
3)How to write in to the mind maps something in 2-3 words when the whole idea is really huge?

Best wishes,
AndriDem

AndriDem #64715 04/10/08 10:26 AM

Quote:

1)Is it normal to forget after 4 days what you've learned (dates, names, etc)

Yep it's normal to forget stuff like that within the hour. If you want to remember it you have to hook it to your memory web and visit it a few times. That's why a mind map or notes should be reviewed daily for a week then once weekly for a month and then once a month for about 6 months. Ideally you need to use the knowledge regularly. If you have no frequent use for it it's not necessary to remember but remember where you can find the information. Of course if you build it into your memory web then you just need to pull a thread to start remembering.

Quote:

2) If my conscious and non conscious minds are strong then it will be more easier to activate? And by PR i am training it? That is how i understood?

What you use you get better at. If you use the PhotoReading system and build a body mind connection that become easier to use. Like running at first running half a block seems impossible and then the more you run the easier it is to run that first block and many more.

Quote:

3)How to write in to the mind maps something in 2-3 words when the whole idea is really huge?

Use key words symbols and drawings. You only need to choose the words or pictures that give you the most meaning. It can be comical. It's important to cut it down. If it takes many words you might want to consider using Analograffiti instead.

AlexK

OP Offline

So, the more books i photoread and activate, the more stronger my connection with the conscious and non conscious becomes. That's great!

AndriDem #64717 04/10/08 12:14 PM

Stands to reason. The more you use something the better you get at it.

AlexK

OP Offline

Hi again! (I know i can be really annoying =)

When you SR in layers, will you dip into the same sentences or will they change?

Best wishes,
AndriDem

AndriDem #65283 04/29/08 09:47 AM

Depends on the question and your purpose. Sometimes you find yourself drawn to the same section, passage again. It means you're either trying to lock it in or understand it more. Might mean you didn't get the full impact. Have you ever noticed a good looking gal or guy and had to look again?

It's all good.

OP Offline

Today i had an interesting experience. I don't really know if my purpose was good(i didn't had an interest to read this book, but it was important for my exam). But when activating, I asked myself where could the answers be and somehow my eyes showed me the correct answer.

AndriDem #65330 05/01/08 04:05 PM

\:\) that's a nice body mind connection.

Does the exam has a long term benefit for you toward a specific goal?

AlexK

OP Offline

A hope that this connection will not let me down in the future +))

Indeed it does has a long term benefit, but almost all the books that i photoread are based on the same purpose. So the question is: why didn't i feel the body mind connection there?

Best wishes,
AndriDem

AndriDem #65334 05/01/08 04:47 PM

Who says you have to feel it?

Check my 2002 posts sometime. You may notice that I have a second voice arguing with me sometimes that's the answer, not it's not. Yes it is, no it's not, go back and look. That's not a feeling ;\)

AlexK

OP Offline

Believe it or not - i have read it + i printed it. You make it look so easy, that i am beginning to think that my problems are hidden in my head. =)

Today i felt like I really did activate a paragraph, but the strangest thing is: Yesterday i did the same steps as today (another paragraph), but no result.

P.S I really need to attend some english courses. My estonian, russian, german are forcing me to forget the most important language - english.

AndriDem #65343 05/01/08 08:21 PM

Originally Posted By: AndriDem
P.S I really need to attend some english courses. My estonian, russian, german are forcing me to forget the most important language - english.

huh? you already are a genius!

Yukala #65344 05/01/08 08:44 PM
OP Offline

I would rather learn PR and forget my estonian and russian))

AndriDem #65345 05/01/08 09:25 PM

What about PhotoReading large English dictionaries?

I especially like this jewel:

1928, Roget's International Thesaurus of English Words and Phrases.

As a complete (at that time) book of synonyms and antonyms it organizes the whole of the English language by idea trees.

It handles the language as 'the idea being given, to find the word, or words by which that idea may be most fitly and aptly expressed.'

Why I emphasis this?

I suspect the supra-mind organizes by idea, not words.
PhotoReading is holographic processing of whole pictures and ideas they contain. We however are so 'word' orientated and often get 'hung-up' thinking to activate a sting of words instead of thinking out the ideas and then put that back again into a string of words.

I am going to explore mind maping word-pictures as the way to first put what I have photoread 'back together'. So far I just get active with the subject matter and go by 'intuition or flashes'. Some dipping, occasionally.

What language do you 'think in'?
I have found that the language you 'think in' is one where the comprehension is sourced. Then you filter to other languages losing a little of it all.

So this would be exploring by what route your supra-mind is communicating back to the fore-conscious mind.

Yukala #65346 05/01/08 09:54 PM
OP Offline

PR a dictionary without a normal activation step is for me right now "impossible". =)

I can't generate ideas by just PR like Pete Bissonette.

P.S Thanks for your help
Alex and Yukala

AndriDem #65351 05/02/08 01:16 AM

Originally Posted By: AndriDem
PR a dictionary without a normal activation step is for me right now "impossible". =)

I can't generate ideas by just PR like Pete Bissonette.

P.S Thanks for your help
Alex and Yukala

Am I to understand you are PhotoReading a paragraph at a time and endeavoring to 'activate' it?

Everyone generates or rather 'resonates' ideas. You included.
<smiles>
Trust me, it is the simple nature of mind.

AndriDem #65354 05/02/08 01:36 AM

AndriDem,

If you want to know what makes it easy for me to PhotoRead it's just attitude. I don't care if it works, I don't care if I don't understand it, I don't care if I get it wrong, I don't care if I miss it the first time, and I certainly don't beat myself up if I realise I missed it the first time. I just know what I want from the time I spend with the book and go for it. To me it's like a little experiment each time. Sometimes I find gems other times paydirt and other times nothing.

Language learning, just PhotoRead the dictionary daily nothing more. Find some grammar books to PhotoRead, and for fun PhotoRead and activate (rapid reading) teenage novels. Listen to news or soap opera's in the language you want to learn. You'll find it easier polish any language that way.

With just PhotoReading step you won't have conscious comprehension like you do with traditional reading. You are letting the pre-conscious processor handle the mundane part of understanding and applying what you learned. Just as you did when you were a child and first learned your native language. No one explained grammar you just picked it up.

AlexK

OP Offline

Today I watched the Photoreading challenge video, and I am still really impressed. Students have mastered it well. First with recognition, then step by step you are remembering it consciously.
The most incredible thing was that they didn't have time to activate in layers(lot of layers). This video really motivated me.

AndriDem #65382 05/03/08 07:44 AM

Time didn't limit the layers we still built in layers jumping through the book mulitple times not staying in one place too long.

AlexK

OP Offline

Still it was incredible. Watching how the students mastered the exercises.

Right now, before SR and dip, I ask myself questions and let my eyes give me the answer. Sadly, it doesn't work all the time. But i will keep trying! =)

Best wishes
AndriDem

AndriDem #65394 05/03/08 01:52 PM

Sometimes we ask the wrong question. It may need to be rephrased. Also the answer may not be in that particular book.

I had someone sit before me and tell me he couldn't activate because he couldn't find what he was looking for. The step by step protocol that the title of the book implied it would teach. I PhotoRead the book in the bookshop and thought it was not worth the time but had promised him I would buy a copy.

When he told me he couldn't find that I registered exactly what was wrong with the book it didn't deliver what it promised. I took the book and double checked myself. The point is he activated perfectly. It was one of those annoying books you could spend hours traditionally reading being entertained by anecdotes and other people's experiences and have nothing substantial from when you finished it. It didn't deliver the "how to" that the title said it would.

So check the question it might need to come from a different direction you might be asking "what?" and the author is explaining the why and how.

AlexK

OP Offline

Today i activated a paragraph(6 pages) in about 10-15 minutes. Somehow i knew where the answers were hidden. That's great

Best wishes
AndriDem

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved