Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
AndriDem #64686 04/01/08 03:57 AM
OP Offline

My experience yesterday:

I've found a book(a textbook) about politics with a lot of chapters in it. My purpose was: To learn this material, so that i could pass the exam and fulfill my dream becoming a lawyer.

Since it was a book with chapters, i've started to treat each chapter like a book. Sadly i had only time to "deal" only with one chapter.

1)I set my purpose
2)Tried to relax, like in the book was told
3)Did a preview, watched how everything is structured there
4)Photoread the whole book, and then the chapter i wanted to activate
5)Postview: I found some trigger words and set some questions, that I wanted to be answered
6)Incubation: relaxed for 20 minutes. Watched TV, drank some water
7)Activation:
8)I picked 1 question and asked myself "Where could i find the answers". For starters i didn't pick a lot of information, so I was a little confused. To get a better understanding of the material, I started skittering. It really helped - i could answer something to all of my questions.(I've put everything on my mindmap)
9)I SR the chapter for another 2 questions. I found some new information, that i didn't pick up from skittering(With a new color in my mindmap)
10)Then i did skittering again. Didn't find anything new.

Right now I think i've got everything from the chapter. If i close my eyes, I can even see where everything is located(the exact spot).

But the only thing that bothers me - it took me 1 hour for this whole process.

AndriDem #64687 04/01/08 05:18 AM
Learning Strategies Admin

Only had time to deal with one chapter?

Don't let time get away. Set a timer, keep to your purpose.

How long did you preview?

How long did you postview, how many questions did you write down and how many trigger words did you write down.

Where did you start looking when you asked where could I find the answer? Did you use the index, table of content? or just open the book?

How long was your activation pass?

Quote:

For starters i didn't pick a lot of information, so I was a little confused.

Welcome to the beginners experience. Confusion is good it means the mind is working on accessing the neural networks.

Yep skittering usually is the best option for textbooks.

Textbooks often take 25 to 100 hours to complete with traditional reading. Depending on how complex and new the information is for you it's possible that 1 hour is excellent time. You might have been reading it 2 or 3 times with traditional reading to get the same confident knowledge of where everything is located.

Two suggestions.

Use the system first on a couple of 200 page non-fiction books that you are interested in. Move away from textbooks until you understand the system confidently to determine what you need to adjust when it is taking too long in a textbook. You get that experience faster with non-fiction books than textbooks.

AlexK

OP Offline

Yeah, sadly it took me 1 hour

1)Previewed ... about 30 seconds
2)Postviewed ... 5-7 minutes
3)I had 10 question (One question per trigger word)
4)I searched for answers while opening the book. There wasn't necessary to use table of contents since i worked only with one chapter
5)Yes, skittering gives me more security. But still i want to practice SR.
6)OK, i will try to get the needed experience by using non-fiction books.

Best wishes,
AndriDem

AndriDem #64689 04/01/08 04:31 PM

5-7 minutes? Why didn't you set a timer.

Biggest mistake is not to stop activating after 20 minutes (30 max) It often means you are drifting into passive reading.

Use a timer and take control of your reading time.

AlexK

OP Offline

OK. Next time will do. I noticed one funny thing while SR: As i picked 1 question out of my list, i started dipping(everything came from intuition)in a place, where the answer wasn't hidden.(My question was based on a political issue, but i dipped in a place where it was written about families). Is it normal? Does my brain really made a connection between politics and family all by itself?

Best wishes,
AndriDem

AndriDem #64691 04/02/08 12:48 AM

That's what you PhotoRead the book for. For your body mind to connect it so your conscious mind recognises it.

Alex

OP Offline

Another test:

I had to do homework (the same book)

A chapter again (3 pages)

1)Preview - 5-10 seconds
2)Postview - 3-4 minutes
3)6 trigger words = 6 questions
4)PR - 10 seconds
5)I used SR(since i had nothing to lose) and it took me 20 minutes to activate the whole material. Now i think i've got everything.

One question: If i found the answer, should I put it right away on my mind map or should I wait until I browsed for all answers in the book and then put everything together?

AndriDem #64693 04/02/08 05:47 AM

Quote:

One question: If i found the answer, should I put it right away on my mind map or should I wait until I browsed for all answers in the book and then put everything together?

Up to you. Either at the end of an activation pass or as you go. I always drop the pen as soon as I've made a quick note. Prevents getting hooked on writing. Usually I will just write a word to recall something that wasn't related to the question to help me explore the idea further.

Alex

OP Offline

OK. I think i've got everything so far. But have you ever managed to activate a chapter of a textbook in less than 15-20 minutes? If yes, how long does it take you to do it now? (let us say a 6 page chapter)

AndriDem #64695 04/02/08 12:42 PM

It doesn't matter how long it takes me. It's relative. Depends on prior knowledge, interest and need.

If you give me a book and I have no interest in the subject I'd probably blow a raspberry and give it back to you. Just because I'm a PhotoReader doesn't mean I have to waste my time of stuff that doesn't interest or benefit me.;)

Naturally if it's part of a course curriculum I'd find a way to stimulate my curiosity and remember my purpose. For me less is more. If I can get away with just PhotoReading and letting the classroom be the activation then that's good enough. I did that for the 6 week intensive course I took. While everyone was reading the text and instructions I just PhotoRead them let the classroom be the activation. When I needed to know more I opened the manual.

As long as it takes less time it doesn't matter. You get better at it the more you use it. You know when the book has gelled for you. And it's probably sooner than you think. Just our old reading habits are hard to kick.

AlexK

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved